Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1600094 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8085 on: February 11, 2013, 09:11:20 pm »

it is, besides it IS 200 years later. You'd think people would remove the gate remains.

Also, as seen in the last game, they're reduced to a pile of rubble when you close them, not remaining standing. And the gate models in this mod are a bit rough, with some obvious seams in the textures.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: February 11, 2013, 11:12:43 pm »

it is, besides it IS 200 years later. You'd think people would remove the gate remains.

Also, as seen in the last game, they're reduced to a pile of rubble when you close them, not remaining standing. And the gate models in this mod are a bit rough, with some obvious seams in the textures.

Yes but he has a scientific explanation for that. You see, when you close them by removing the Sigil, they blow up, however, when Martin blah yadda yadda technobabble, eep opp ork ah-ah megahertz and quantum and so on, and therefore, not rubble. Demonstratum est.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: February 11, 2013, 11:22:09 pm »

and we cant remove 'not rubble' because?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: February 12, 2013, 12:23:39 am »

Yes but he has a scientific explanation for that. You see, when you close them by removing the Sigil, they blow up, however, when Martin blah yadda yadda technobabble, eep opp ork ah-ah megahertz and quantum and so on, and therefore, not rubble. Demonstratum est.

And yet, having left some open before I finished the game, I returned to them with a hopeful smile, thinking of phat lewt, and found piles of daedric rubble. And people who see the Daedra as evil demonlings would leave them untouched as sacred/historic monuments (his other argument) because?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: February 12, 2013, 05:31:03 am »

I've been trying to build, since forever, an area on 1x1 scale in one of the TES areas for a TC mod. Given how all the elder scrolls games have their location severely scaled down, and some rely on invisible walls, I think the best choice of setting for this place would be a decent sized island, somewhere like 6 miles long or so, with lots of islands around it with other interesting stuff. So, the game area would be in about a 10mi x 10mi square of ocean.

Sounds like you want Stros M'kai, from TESA: Redguard. There are also islands in the Iliac Bay like Balferia, Betony, and Cybiades that could work, and the Sheogorad region has a bunch of tiny islands. Or you could ignore the retcon in Oblivion and make the Imperial City the multi-island complex it was supposed to be.

I want non-mod open cities!

Sounds like you want Daggerfall, which not only has vanilla open cities, but vanilla wall climbing as well.

Also, directed at no one in particular, Vivec was the first closed city, Mournhold the second. Bethesda was used to the idea by the time they made Oblivion.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8090 on: February 12, 2013, 06:59:41 am »

Or you could ignore the retcon in Oblivion and make the Imperial City the multi-island complex it was supposed to be.
You mean the imperial city houses more than 35 or so people!?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #8091 on: February 12, 2013, 08:42:25 am »

I always loved that. The seat of the empire had less people living in it than the average hippie commune.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: February 12, 2013, 08:50:34 am »

Great. Now I want to play Oblivion again. This time I am going to finish it, I swear!

(Please ignore the fact that I said the same about Daggerfall and Morrowind, probably in the same thread, and never finished those either)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:46 am »

The low amount of people has always been my biggest drawback in these games. In skyrim, for example, early in the civil war line you get to siege Whiterun. Flaming shots from catpults rain through the air, as a grand army of 10 guys charge and take the city....

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: February 12, 2013, 08:58:44 am »

Yeah. I would have imagined that Bethesda would have used the fact that cities have their own individual cells to add a shitload more NPCs to them, but apparently not.
My cabbages!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: February 12, 2013, 09:01:24 am »

True, I could almost forgive it if they had at LEAST 100 people per city.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: February 12, 2013, 09:02:38 am »

I'd even accept it if 80 of those people were just generic NPCs who had nothing to say.
My cabbages!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: February 12, 2013, 10:04:35 am »

even if we had large, semi-scripted battles, that would be awesome, it worked in oblivion cause there was only like two or three big battles (which were meh) but in skyrim theres war goin on man, we should be seeing like legion and stormcloak companies marching down roads and stuff, if they had made the stormcloak rebellion more dynamic (and increased in size) things would have been great.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: February 12, 2013, 10:10:30 am »

even if we had large, semi-scripted battles, that would be awesome, it worked in oblivion cause there was only like two or three big battles (which were meh) but in skyrim theres war goin on man, we should be seeing like legion and stormcloak companies marching down roads and stuff, if they had made the stormcloak rebellion more dynamic (and increased in size) things would have been great.
There's a mod for that.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: February 12, 2013, 11:56:06 am »

The problem, as ever, is Bethesda's reliance on their oooooooold, badly optimised, re-used engine with terribly outdated capabilities. You expect a decade-old flawed engine to support more than 10 NPCs in the same cell? Their scripting engine, Papyrus, doesn't even have garbage collection. None. It has zero ability to clean up orphaned script references. This is a leading cause of CTDs in savegames where mods have been uninstalled, because once a script has been activated in a save, there is no way to get rid of it, not even deleting the files from the Data folder (in fact, that will cause even more problems).

In fact, Bethesda's own DLC files are full of ITMs ("Identical To Master" records), which are 'dirty edits' left behind by bugs in the Construction Kit which have existed since the Morrowind era. You'd think they'd do something about that by now, especially when their own plugins end up full of bugs. Modders highly recommend cleaning Bethesda's files with TES5Edit to solve many instability issues, and good luck if you own a console version of the game.

Part of me just doesn't understand how they get away with this shit, especially when it causes their game to have show-stopping bugs right out of the box. Also, why haven't they hired any decent animation talent by now? And while I'm at it, this triple-A company still can't code an engine that supports cloth physics for realistic hair or clothing? When I saw that the horses' manes and tail were baked animations, I could've laughed 'til I cried. It's tragic.

If it sounds like I'm being overly harsh on the game, it's not that. I love Skyrim, I'm currently playing it on a daily basis. There's about 80 mods I couldn't possibly play without, but still, it's a great game. It's just Bethesda. They're the whole problem with the TES series. They do fantastic lore and photogenic scenery, but ask them to make believable-looking people and we end up with Mr Potato Head.

Sorry, I haven't had a good rant about something in ages. That felt good. :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:00:53 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 896