Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1601507 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #6555 on: July 03, 2012, 12:59:55 pm »

So once more you're head of a center of higher magical learning without knowing diddly squat about magic yourself :D
At least this time its sort of an honorary rank. You're the 'archmage'. Mostly because the old one died and you were there. I mean its not like you really did anything special. My heavy armored orc hammer warrior became the 'archmage' by picking up three spells. He has 100 magicka and had never before cast a single spell.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: July 03, 2012, 01:03:39 pm »

In skyrim, you need a minimum magic skill to get into the mages guild in the first place, but after that you're home free.
You need to cast one novice level spell which anyone can.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: July 03, 2012, 01:04:40 pm »

For me it as an apprentice level spell. I couldn't do it, and I needed to get in there for an unrelated quest, so I had to wait until I had enough magica to cast the spell.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:19 pm »

Maybe they consider you a master mage because you can shout. They probably expect you to teach it. Fools! Only the Greybeards can do that!

I feel like such a troll. They asked, "What can you contribute to the college if we let you in?"
*Shouts*
"Oh my! That is cool! You will contribute awesome shit!"
(Suckers, they can never learn this.)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6559 on: July 03, 2012, 01:14:59 pm »

For me it was "Hey, can you cast fire bolt?"

My orc: "I don't need to cast firebolt, I am amazing."

Her: "Welcome to the college!"

Persuasion is the best skill.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: July 03, 2012, 02:10:25 pm »

Persuasion is always the best skill. Too bad there were so few options for it in Skyrim.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #6561 on: July 03, 2012, 02:31:14 pm »

So once more you're head of a center of higher magical learning without knowing diddly squat about magic yourself :D

There's a mod to grant the title to Tolfdir instead. I had already completed the quest before I found the mod, so I just gave Tolfdir the archmage outfit and faction rank via console, and reduced my own the same way.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: July 03, 2012, 03:28:23 pm »

SkyRe is kinda interesting when it comes to magic. Running through a Thieves Guild quest, I encountered the guy living underneath the Honningbrew Meadery, who used his lightning magic on my (not extremely frail; 300 health) thief, instantly blasting my ass into a reload. Other encounters with rogue mages have given me similar results. They do extreme amounts of damage that I can't do anything about, usually sapping my stamina and slowing me down for ridiculous amounts as well. Unless I one shot them with a sneaky dagger attack.

I found that even the basic Flames spell that you start with does a sizable chunk of constant damage, even for someone who has no investment in magic whatsoever. Occasionally, when stealth is not an issue, I do go on a "kill it with fire" rampage. Does make me wonder how well a pure mage does with these mods.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:29:59 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: July 03, 2012, 03:33:21 pm »

Quite well i think. The spell magnitude scales with skill too. But if you're gonna use robes then you will have a problem with archers instead

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: July 03, 2012, 04:00:20 pm »

So, I've tried to re-download SKSE, but I am still getting the same compatibility problems I stated before (SKSE claims it's not compatible with the current Skyrim version). Any ideas on how to deal with that?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: July 03, 2012, 04:18:05 pm »

I will admit though, my Redguard assassin does seem to have a bit of an unfair advantage in the form of Defensive Stance, which seems to slow time by more than 15%. It slows you down slightly as well, but it feels like the Matrix as far as dodging arrows as well a spells, and enemies seem almost incapacitated for the duration, if you keep moving behind them you can constantly stab them in their unguarded backs. The tradeoff for this broken ability is losing all of your stamina in short order, and dealing reduced damage.

It makes the game almost too easy, due to still being able to attack with no stamina, despite normal attacks also normally taking stamina to perform. Sure, you do less damage overall, but you can never be hit if you abuse it and tend to be able to take on groups fairly easily.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Russisch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: July 03, 2012, 04:23:53 pm »

Every time I play an Eldersrolls game I am always an Archer-Sneak-Mage person....I cannot help but feel like I am missing some of the game because I just breeze through everything with my crits and never being attacked.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: July 03, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »

I dunno about moving to the left suddenly, but I have seen arrows go through distant targets. Interesting note: the arrows go through, but spells still hit at these ranges.
Going back a few pages because there's actually a solution to this if you're on the PC, and I don't come here often enough anymore.

Skyrim.ini in your My Games/Skyrim folder (you'll have to create it if it's not already there)
Code: [Select]
[Actor]
fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=14000.0000
At least, I've not had the problem in recent memory (I've had this in my INI for months).
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: July 03, 2012, 06:10:14 pm »

I dunno about moving to the left suddenly, but I have seen arrows go through distant targets. Interesting note: the arrows go through, but spells still hit at these ranges.
Going back a few pages because there's actually a solution to this if you're on the PC, and I don't come here often enough anymore.

Skyrim.ini in your My Games/Skyrim folder (you'll have to create it if it's not already there)
Code: [Select]
[Actor]
fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=14000.0000
At least, I've not had the problem in recent memory (I've had this in my INI for months).

Ah yes. At the time i forgot to mention that with SkyRe you get a txt named addthistoyourini or something which makes you aim straight and can hit things further away

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: July 03, 2012, 06:14:50 pm »

I'm running a Nord two-handed Swordsman in SkyRe (Wanted to feel the power of having low health + 2hander) and he kind of sucks. The damage on 2handers isn't very good for the extremely low speed and interruptable attacks, and beyond that the weapons are more rare and I don't have the benefit of a shield. Plus the skills are boring...

Its sad because I a ton invested in 2handed weapons and I'm fighting with my unspec'd longbow 70% of the time. Then there's the issue of it being suicide to melee dragons in SkyRe/Diverse Dragons/Deadly Dragons.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:18:52 pm by Rex_Nex »
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 896