Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1601343 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2175 on: November 21, 2011, 08:59:23 pm »

Two things about this game.

I wish there was an instant kill difficulty. I like that most enemies can kill me in a few hits and I'm thankful that it doesn't take me sixty to kill them, but I think it would be fun to be on more equal footing.

Has anyone else noticed that destruction spells level based on amount of magicka used and not the amount of damage done? Taking the novice etc destruction perks lowers your rate of skill increase. I'm assuming this is true of the other schools as well. It's a really weird conflict that abilities that make you more powerful also inhibit your progress.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2176 on: November 21, 2011, 09:00:22 pm »

Four, vampires and werewolves whilst they were maybe better in Daggerfall were not exactly great then. Cool ideas, like you actually die and wake up in your own tomb with all bounties and guild affiliations removed, bit of a poor execution, like all your guild affiliations being removed which means if you've already joined The Dark Brotherhood, you can never join them again and you have to spend ages doing quests to get your old rank back despite them most likely still knowing who you are!

I still do love the Werewolf cure quest in Daggerfall though: In order to cure yourself of lycanthropy, you have to kill another person one last time. More specifically, you have to kill a child. You bastard. Seriously, it's the kind of thing they just can't get away with these days and a part of me is sad about that...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: November 21, 2011, 09:03:12 pm »

I wish there was an instant kill difficulty. I like that most enemies can kill me in a few hits and I'm thankful that it doesn't take me sixty to kill them, but I think it would be fun to be on more equal footing.

I think that's just called never, ever putting points into health. Plenty of insta-gibbing will happen to you then by Level 15 :p
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: November 21, 2011, 09:03:41 pm »

Two things about this game.

Has anyone else noticed that destruction spells level based on amount of magicka used and not the amount of damage done? Taking the novice etc destruction perks lowers your rate of skill increase. I'm assuming this is true of the other schools as well. It's a really weird conflict that abilities that make you more powerful also inhibit your progress.

It would matter if it wasn't for the fact that "Good luck even thinking of being a destruction mage without the lower mana costs". Destruction REALLY relies on you putting the points in to get your mana's worth.

To the point where you really might as well not bother with destruction unless your going all out.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2179 on: November 21, 2011, 09:18:49 pm »

But it allows for you to quickly power level destruction too. It's possible to cast firebolt at level 1 and using it is gonna give you a lot of exp. The idea then would be to level up to adept before getting the apprentice perk, and so on. And you can two-shot most rank 1 enemies with firebolt. It's probably possible to breeze your way to expert in a few hours like that.

I think that's just called never, ever putting points into health. Plenty of insta-gibbing will happen to you then by Level 15 :p
Well, I mean like in Way of the Samurai. It'd be nice if there was a difficulty that upped the damage enemies do to you but didn't lower the damage you do to them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2180 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:11 pm »

Two things about this game.It's a really weird conflict that abilities that make you more powerful also inhibit your progress.
Makes sense in a weird way. If its really super easy for me to do something I probably won't learn much doing it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: November 21, 2011, 09:22:26 pm »

Well, I mean like in Way of the Samurai. It'd be nice if there was a difficulty that upped the damage enemies do to you but didn't lower the damage you do to them.

New to TES games? I just ask because it's a symptom of the games that, fairly quickly, it becomes an issue of doing TOO MUCH damage to most things so you don't get a gratifying fight. So I'd just hold in there. Also drop a couple points into the 1st Perk in the One-handed or Two-handed tree. Unlike other games, Skyrim basically says "you want damage buff? have damage buff."

I've done the whole game only buying the first perk twice, just so I can get some challenge out of the fights. All too easy most of the time otherwise.

To the point where you really might as well not bother with destruction unless your going all out.

I agree with you to some extent, but there's something to be said for making magic something you have to pursue instead of getting to hybridize exactly to the degree you want. In Skyrim you get what you pay for, for the most part. It's just the damage doesn't scale for poop to HP after a while. Right when you can first get Firebolt, it's fairly strong.

The scaling of spells is definitely planned out for pure mage builds. It's fairly inconsistent otherwise.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2182 on: November 21, 2011, 09:27:30 pm »

Yeah, as soon as the CK comes out I can bet a tonne of Magicka revamped mods are gonna come out that make a spell's damage scale with it's relevant skill...

Personally I wanna see some kind of "Ritual" mod to create one-shot scrolls with highly specific effects after some time + resource investment. But like I said, my opinion of Wizards is very much "With sufficient time to prepare, Batman can not be defeated". Probably comes from reading too much The Dresden Files xD

Then again I don't use the exploits like the alchemy one in Morrowind or the Enchant one in Skyrim, since if you ask me at that point I may as well be opening the console and just clicking on the enemy and typing "kill" :)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: November 21, 2011, 09:33:44 pm »

Bethesda may not be good at making games but they are definitely good at making heavily moddable games. It's too bad they are more like a console company rather than a PC company now.

I took this quote from the official forums from a guy named "frotality" I totally agree with this dude.

morrowind was optimized for PCs.

skyrim...was not.

/thread, thats all there is to it really. most of your problems, and most of my problems stem from the difference in tastes and playstyles between quick couch comfort and 10-hour binge gaming. beth has jumped ship to consoles, which themselves are gearing more and more towards the extreme end of quick and casual, while publishers wont even consider PC releases without a warehouse full of anti-piracy weaponry anymore. just as morrowind was crap on the xbox, skyrim is crap on the PC.

when digital distrubution inevitably kicks in, the moment of truth will come; PC(or smart phone or laptop or matrix plug or whatever youll use) gaming WILL be king again, but either publishers will just learn to deal with piracy and accept the benefits of selling to everyone with an internet connection, or we'll bend over and let them control when and how we can and cant play our legally purchased games with orwellian DRM. the former will be great for all of us, as devs will have much more freedom in what they make and how they make it. the latter... i dont have to explain why that is bad, do i?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:36:34 pm by Leatra »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: November 21, 2011, 09:34:11 pm »

part. It's just the damage doesn't scale for poop to HP after a while.

I entirely agree. What I found is that after a while you stop even using Destruction magic for the damage (you will out damage destruction, even one you invested in, EASILY with just bows if you really want range) and you end up doing it for the Stun Lock.

Heck the easiest way I found to even fight dragons is using Firebolt, Icespike, or Lightning Bolt for low mana stunning (and with sufficient regen it helps).

It just scales BAAAAAAAADLY. If you get to the late LATE game especially.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2185 on: November 21, 2011, 09:45:12 pm »

New to TES games?
Not at all.

But I'm finding that enemies still take too long to kill on higher difficulties. It's certainly an improvement but it's still somewhat tedious. Admittedly I've only made it to the mid-game because I mostly take my time and explore, but I'm guessing high rank enemies are going to continue to sponge up my damage.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: November 21, 2011, 09:47:11 pm »

Found a mod which turns some NPCs essential flag off. For those that want it, click here. Coincidentally, the id is 666.  ::)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: November 21, 2011, 09:47:34 pm »

New to TES games?
Not at all.

But I'm finding that enemies still take too long to kill on higher difficulties. It's certainly an improvement but it's still somewhat tedious. Admittedly I've only made it to the mid-game because I mostly take my time and explore, but I'm guessing high rank enemies are going to continue to sponge up my damage.

It is sort of the problem I sort of find with the series in general. For a game trying to pretend like it has interactive combat and epic fights... enemies sure do act like moving walls a lot.

Heck in Oblivion the toughest enemies were the small ones because you couldn't avoid their attacks. The big ones were so slow and clunky they could only  hit you if they managed to back you into a corner.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: November 21, 2011, 09:48:22 pm »

But I'm finding that enemies still take too long to kill on higher difficulties. It's certainly an improvement but it's still somewhat tedious.

Yeah. For every 3 guys you run into, one of them is going to be stronger than the rest. It's even in the names. Bandit. Bandit Highwayman. Bandit Plunderer.

There's not enough finesse to Skyrim meele to make it a "every hit counts" kind of game. The whole point of leveling and gear system is to get you to one hit kills, yet it's not satisfying when you get there, because it wasn't about one hit kills all the way up to that point.

I figure it has to be that way though. You wouldn't be able to tell the badasses apart from the schmucks if the whole game was structured toward super deadly combat.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2189 on: November 21, 2011, 10:00:37 pm »

I think it would do a lot to make combat more interesting. Sometimes the difficulty hits this perfect groove where you and your enemies are matched in power. You run into three outlaws. You blast one away with a couple fireballs and run up to engage another in melee but take an arrow in the chest that drops your health to 25%.

And then a marauder comes along and you spend the next 50 seconds kiting him. It just leads to a really awkward flow of tension.

Now, there's something to be said about that kind of difficulty curve, but I think an extra quick kill difficulty mode would be fun for a second playthrough.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 896