Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1601895 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #975 on: November 14, 2011, 07:34:43 am »

Did anyone else find it odd that (temporary) companions who claim to love you for helping them out keep saying 'What is it, elf..'

Yeah, I had irelia (the lady you kill her "mother" with) and send her home at one point, but she wouldn't rejoin me anymore (bitch)... sucked.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: November 14, 2011, 07:35:43 am »

I accidently did some squence-breaking without realizing it, I think. I was doing the "Golden Claw" Quest, and I killed the guy who had. But instead of turning back, which I think I was suppost to, I kept on going. Well, after a few deaths and some failed attempts at sneaking by the Restless Durgar (Which resulting in a rather humerous chase as I got every single other Durgar at the end to come after me), I got to the end of dungeon. I looted everything in the end room, got the first shout, and sneaked by way by the first boss. I was surprised when I didn't have the option to talk about it to the Riverside trader. So I moved on with the story. I got the quest from the Wizard guy to get the dragon stone. As I went to the Dungeon he told me to go to, I slowly relized that it was the exact same from eariler.

>.>
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: November 14, 2011, 07:59:58 am »

Visiting the same location twice doesn't mean a broken sequence.  I did the same thing without the sneaking and ended up already having the dragonstone when asked for it. The dialogue recognized the possibility too so I even got a compliment out of it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #978 on: November 14, 2011, 08:07:54 am »

Nonspoiler: Save every fucking mask you get and do not sell them. The full face masks which have a name and odd powers. Trust me.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: November 14, 2011, 08:09:09 am »

the quest system in general seems way more resilient to unexpected conditions.

there still is the occasional out of game context cutscene, like the monster suddenly popping out as you get near even if you are stealthy and the monster wander around aimlessly as it could not see you, which I totally hate (put an actual trap if you want a damned sudden encounter!!)  but in general it seems one of the best bethesda release so far.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 14, 2011, 08:16:45 am »

I liked how when I was asked to go retrive the dragon stone, they gave you the option of straight up saying "oh, you mean THIS!?" and they were all like. Oh, sweet. Instead of other games where either:
 a) I would have had to end the convo, start it up again, and everyone would pretend I went out and came back or
b) the dragonstone wouldn't have spawned, and the dungeon would have re-populated and you would've had to go through it gain. Or I guess
c) the dungeon would have a special locked door in the basement that the questgiver would have had a key for.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 14, 2011, 08:30:39 am »

Seems like bad stuff happened to the Dwarfs :(
They have cool mechs though, too bad they want to stomp me.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 14, 2011, 08:49:38 am »

Nonspoiler: Save every fucking mask you get and do not sell them. The full face masks which have a name and odd powers. Trust me.
Fuck.

Probably too late for buyback, and he's probably selling it for so much money the Emperor would have to take out a loan even if he was.   I mean comon, it didn't LOOK important.  There was a dragon sitting on his coffin for frig's sake, that makes you unimportant.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 14, 2011, 09:06:05 am »

I wouldn't really consider having found the dragonstone earlier to be an "unexpected condition" when it's very likely this is the second quest you get and as it doesn't finish until you find said dragonstone anyway.
Love, scriver~

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 14, 2011, 09:43:28 am »

Bought skyrim today and turned the difficult to maxed.
Not so difficult on start so im hoping it gets some range of difficulty in later on?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 14, 2011, 09:51:58 am »

Welp, I leave Windhelm and immediately get attacked by a dragon.  Me getting attacked by a dragon apperantly means that the stables, farm, dock, and Kajit camp get torn apart because it doesn't seem to give a shit about me.

It was nuts though, farmers and stablepeople charging the dragon with daggers, even the horses attacked the dragon.  The guards were content to shoot at it ineffectually from the walls. it would land now and then but I wasn't fast enough to get there. And my archery isn't up to snuff to do any real damage. I think the Kajit and the horses actually did more damage to the thing than I did that fight.

It eventually made the mistake of landing next to me to nuke a horse (who survived) and then I solved the problem by hitting it in the head with my greatsword until it was no longer a problem.

On the plus side, I now have keys to the stables and farm and a little bit of gold I retrieved from corpses.  All the cats lived, all the horses lived.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 14, 2011, 09:53:25 am »

I wouldn't really consider having found the dragonstone earlier to be an "unexpected condition" when it's very likely this is the second quest you get and as it doesn't finish until you find said dragonstone anyway.

true, but other quests are quite complex too. lot of corner case handling everywhere.

also, a nice addition is that you can escape quests with a no thanks equivalent to avoid journal pollution. can't remember now out of my mind if this was the case with oblivion or morrowind. (where if you dare asked about the task, it was a sealed contract)

edit: I didn't notice if the dragon attacking destruction is scripted only for named dragons or happen for random event too. also, is there some sort of reconstruction timer?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 14, 2011, 09:57:51 am »

edit: I didn't notice if the dragon attacking destruction is scripted only for named dragons or happen for random event too. also, is there some sort of reconstruction timer?
this was a blood dragon (which I never encountered before, I guess I'm higher level) so it wasn't named, but it also did not actually do any structural damage to anything.  Just flew around telling them that they need a little bit more Yor in their lives.

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: November 14, 2011, 10:09:16 am »

Is it really worth it to kill Paarthunax? I was asked to kill him, but I really do not want to.  ::)

I'm in the same situation, I really dont want too as he is a really cool character, far more interesting than the blades anyways.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Holy cow thats some good detective work there sir. Not sure about the goddess part, but yeah he is that renegade.

Also the dragon bane sword is pretty damn good.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:12:55 am by Kivish Zokun »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 14, 2011, 10:09:32 am »

Did anyone else find it odd that (temporary) companions who claim to love you for helping them out keep saying 'What is it, elf..'

I too would find that odd. Then again, I'm a nord.

It reminds me of one guy in a bit of a funny side quest. He's pissed off at you for [spoiler]ing his [spoiler]. While speaking to you, he's audibly pissed off. When done speaking, his random "you walked next to me, you must want me to speak to you" lines are pretty much the opposite.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 896