Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Volcanic bedrooms..  (Read 2571 times)

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanic bedrooms..
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 12:59:18 pm »

I've seen a few items spontaneously combust ontop of [color=FUCKINGALERTGAIZ!]WARM[/color] stone.  but I think that was like, some crazy MAGMA RAIN or lava crab incident, or something. (btw, whars my exploding beer barrels? D: )
Your tag is not working because SMF 2.0 bbcode does not support the color FUCKINGALERTGAIZ!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 05:04:44 pm »

Your tag is not working because SMF 2.0 bbcode does not support the color FUCKINGALERTGAIZ!

Pity, it's a perfectly cromulent color.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 05:23:08 pm »

There is one small problem with being very close to magma in the form of fire snakes.  Namely, there is a very slight chance that one of the pesky vermin could light a bed on fire.  However, the chance is slight, and a cat or two should be able to take care of the problem without incident.  You can also make your beds out of nether-cap, and suddenly there's no possibility of anything going wrong.....[/sarcasm]
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 05:35:10 pm »

If your magma or lava is close to their habitat, fire men and magma man can be a major issue. These guys will gladly start fighting, and when they fall die explode burning jsut about anyone in the vicinity to a crisp.
Fire imps I don't know, I haven't seen many about yet. Magma Crab are harmless unless provoked.

Since it's a volcano I asume you're far away from their habitat though.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 06:47:05 pm »

Magma Crab are harmless unless provoked.
Magma Crabs will attack dwarves who punch holes in their ceiling to build smelters with ranged attacks. Whether this constitutes provocation or not I leave to the viewer.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 08:53:34 pm »

I have never seen any magma creatures other than passive magma crabs who don't seem to care if I mine a couple of holes into their ceiling.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Agent Fransis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 02:33:19 am »

Conduction in air is very different from convection, and what you describe in the second sentence is radiation.
Sorry, that was annoying me.
Sincerest apologies, apparently I had my heat transfer terms a bit mixed up. But still if I understand this right, you would be heated by both convection (currents of hot air flowing upward/to the sides after bouncing of the ceiling), conduction through the air (air particles vibrating) and radiation. 

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 03:40:39 am »

Conduction in air is very different from convection, and what you describe in the second sentence is radiation.
Sorry, that was annoying me.
Sincerest apologies, apparently I had my heat transfer terms a bit mixed up. But still if I understand this right, you would be heated by both convection (currents of hot air flowing upward/to the sides after bouncing of the ceiling), conduction through the air (air particles vibrating) and radiation.

That's correct, although the heating effect from conduction through air would be orders of magnitude lower than the other two effects.  Air is a really bad conductor of heat, it's often used as insulation by trapping it between two layers of other material.

Fortunately DF doesn't model these things and you can play at more than 0.01fps, and dig right down next to the magma without barbecueing your dwarves and melting your copper picks.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: 1 [2]