Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 633702 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #1005 on: December 15, 2013, 08:59:18 pm »

I'm confused. One of the peacocks has vanished completely.

There were five tossed into the pit. One died of suffocation after one of his fellows pecked him in the neck and got his spinal cord. Another has completely vanished: no skeleton, no corpse, nothing.

Did... did she... eat it...?!

Is there a hatch over the dumping pit? He might have flown out.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 15, 2013, 09:21:40 pm »

We're actually closer to ironing out the kinks in the childcare system than last time I checked the thread. Miracles.
Glad to see that what could perhaps be the dorfiest idea ever is coming to fruition.

EDIT: However, I have a few suggestions, most of which revolve around not wasting the children;
If you can devise some way to allow a tantruming child to leave, do. Tantrums will generally lead to madness anyway, no point in not letting the kid out, recovering, and then being reinserted. It gives the parents some happy thoughts, too.
Also, if a kid gets seriously injured, take them to the hospital and put them back in. This will increase survival rates and train doctors, where otherwise you'd just get a dead kid.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:53:00 pm by MDFification »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 15, 2013, 10:40:47 pm »

They can fly? I thought they were entirely ground bound, since I've never seen one flying before.

I can put hatches over the pits and lock them. Thanks.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 15, 2013, 10:46:05 pm »

They can fly? I thought they were entirely ground bound, since I've never seen one flying before.

I can put hatches over the pits and lock them. Thanks.

Wiki's down, so I can't check for absolute sure, but I believe they do. The flight pathfinding AI is all kinds of buggered, so you never normally see them do it, but sometimes when they get crowded they sorta... pop out. I've had dwarves get popped up on walls near sufficiently crowded traffic areas, but that was a long while ago so I don't know if that bug ever got fixed.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 15, 2013, 10:59:03 pm »

Hm.

I checked my unit lists.

The peacock no longer exists. I'm not making this up. I think she swallowed it whole...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #1010 on: December 17, 2013, 09:08:33 am »

I'm giving this a go... but have had no children in my first three migrant waves ¬_¬ We've got everything setup and bred almost a 100 peacocks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 17, 2013, 10:37:50 am »

What's your child cap at? If it's 0, raise the number and lower it again after a couple of months.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 17, 2013, 10:40:37 am »

What's your child cap at? If it's 0, raise the number and lower it again after a couple of months.
Cap is 100:100... I was wanting lots of children!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 17, 2013, 10:59:57 am »

You've probably already got some pregnant dwarves then. You just need to wait a while.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 18, 2013, 04:03:53 pm »

You've probably already got some pregnant dwarves then. You just need to wait a while.
All the evilness of the world in just a couple of sentences.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 19, 2013, 07:27:04 am »

***TESTS SUSPENDED until enclosure redesign is complete***

Subject A
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Test Subject B Deceased - Bludgeoned by Plump helmet biscuits

Test Subject C

Setup

Findings so far:
Each hit seems to give 3 exp to fighter and armour user, dodge exp seems to equate to roughly double fighter exp. (Subject A has 8 combat encounters and has 45/24/24, Subject C has 1 combat encounter and has 6/3/3)

Lessons learnt:

Lesson 1: Stock the food before you put in the child:

Lesson 2: Combat can throw test subjects/animals through impassible squares. Subject A has escaped.

Lesson 3: Thirsty Dwarfs.
Subject C has died. The training area is littered with empty barrels... we don't know how she managed to drink all the booze so quickly. A full 12 years stock should probably be put in at the start. unless we can come up with some automated top up delivery system using minecarts.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:44:38 pm by Ravendarksky »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 19, 2013, 10:24:15 pm »

I'd go with the 12-year booze delivery. Delivering it via minecart opens up the possibility of the dwarf getting hit, and you don't want a random minecart death when the dwarf is a couple of years from growing up.

Assuming a consumption rate of 4 units a season, you'll need about 200 units to take a dwarf from near-babyhood to near-adult. I think, anyway -- I have a niggling feeling that it's a little bit on the low side. Maybe I've played too much Papers, Please today. Whoever linked to that here recently, damn you! DF is enough addiction for me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:22 am »

I'd go with the 12-year booze delivery. Delivering it via minecart opens up the possibility of the dwarf getting hit, and you don't want a random minecart death when the dwarf is a couple of years from growing up.

Assuming a consumption rate of 4 units a season, you'll need about 200 units to take a dwarf from near-babyhood to near-adult. I think, anyway -- I have a niggling feeling that it's a little bit on the low side. Maybe I've played too much Papers, Please today. Whoever linked to that here recently, damn you! DF is enough addiction for me.

MUAHAHAHAHA!

Glory to Arzstotska!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 20, 2013, 01:01:13 am »

*ahem* Thank you, wierd, but now it's time for real !!SCIENCE!!.

Oddom Agsalzas
First Wave, Subject One of One

Initial Evaluation (No date, sometime in the summer of 26)

Second Evaluation - 10th Limestone, 26

Third Evaluation - 14th Hematite, 27

Fourth Evaluation - 11th Opal, 27

Fifth Evaluation - 2nd Malachite, 28

Relevant:
  • Between the Third and Fourth evaluations, she began to get used to tragedy.
  • Also between the Third and Fourth evaluations, she was attacked, sustained major injuries, and recovered, as evidenced by the scars.
  • Her current military statistics: 29/500 Dabbling Wrestler, 20/500 Dabbling Striker, 443/500 Dabbling Fighter, 156/500 Dabbling Armor User, 432/500 Dabbling Dodger
  • Between the Initial and First evaluations, she went from having "very bad analytical abilities" to "a lousy intellect." Soul attribute atrophy as seen before in the case of some dwarves losing memory. Add Analytical Ability to the list of atrophy-prone attributes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 20, 2013, 01:12:32 am »

Would adding a no-eat no-drink no-sleep "intelligent" creature to the mix help alleviate the soul attribute atrophy?

Something that can talk, but has no corporeal needs, like a plump helmet man?

That would allow the child to converse, but prevent it from developing a friendship, since that only happens with dwarves.

Since we don't want plumpy to be a combattant, we could put 2 pen/pastures in the test chamber, one with the poultry, and another with plumpy on it. We could do the whole "good creature bad creature" thing with the child, and keep it socially adjusted while we reprogram its little mind.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:15:41 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 76