Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 633536 times)

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #540 on: February 07, 2012, 01:08:17 pm »

You can't make children wear armor, which makes danger rooms ludicrously deadly for them.

What if we modded a way to make hammers out of Pig Tail Cloth or something?
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 07, 2012, 01:42:37 pm »

You should totally pit a merchant in her room, and order her to kill the merchant when the time is right.

Then she will become the outcast to Dorf society, attacking them all on sight.
Amusing idea, but I think I'll pass. For now... ^^

In other news, I'm having trouble getting dwarves to go into the chamber to dump food. Most of my haulers are busy with 'store item in ---' jobs. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can fix this? Maybe build a retractable bridge over the room and assign -that- as the garbage dump?

The only thing preventing me from testing at this point is the food supply for the chamber, so once I get that worked out I'll be ready to start.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 07, 2012, 02:00:01 pm »

What if we modded a way to make hammers out of Pig Tail Cloth or something?
You might be able to mod in something ridiculously small as an upright weapon, that way they can still dodge but when it hits it will "pass right through".

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 07, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »

I think I figured out the stockpile problem. Garbage dumps can be placed next to cliffs / empty space, and dwarves will toss things off of it. I can channel a hole into the ceiling of the chamber, designate the garbage dump up there, and then toss in food and booze while the chamber is sealed.

A food stockpile at the bottom of the pit should keep it from rotting, and there isn't any way for other dwarves to steal the food I toss in (like they did with the rum. Bastards.  >:( ).

Does anyone know if there are any flaws with this plan?
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Jearil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 07, 2012, 06:37:59 pm »

That's what I'm going to try. I'm setting up one of these now.

Actually what I'm going to try to do in order to let them sleep is set up a 4x1 room with a dog at the far end, a food stockpile next to him, and have the dog chained up. That section will be a 2x1 room that hopefully the dog will feel confined in. Then there will be a door and a 1x1 room with a bed so the child can sleep.

I'm also going to try a communal area where there's two meeting areas and a group of children with a small hallway that has a chained dog in a tiny room between the areas. Ideally the children will move back and forth between those and get attacked by the dog. I have a ton of kids but only half as many dogs so I wanted to try some group child care out.

I'll probably make one room that's just a 2x1 with the dog and try the original idea. However I'm not sure how well this will all go as this game is a succession game and I'm one season in. After I get it set up, I'm not sure how much my fellow rulers will follow this initial plan. I'll report back with any findings though at the end of my year.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 07, 2012, 07:11:46 pm »

That's what I'm going to try. I'm setting up one of these now.

Actually what I'm going to try to do in order to let them sleep is set up a 4x1 room with a dog at the far end, a food stockpile next to him, and have the dog chained up. That section will be a 2x1 room that hopefully the dog will feel confined in. Then there will be a door and a 1x1 room with a bed so the child can sleep.

I'm also going to try a communal area where there's two meeting areas and a group of children with a small hallway that has a chained dog in a tiny room between the areas. Ideally the children will move back and forth between those and get attacked by the dog. I have a ton of kids but only half as many dogs so I wanted to try some group child care out.

I'll probably make one room that's just a 2x1 with the dog and try the original idea. However I'm not sure how well this will all go as this game is a succession game and I'm one season in. After I get it set up, I'm not sure how much my fellow rulers will follow this initial plan. I'll report back with any findings though at the end of my year.

Dogs are good for short term plans with chambers like these, but you'll need more than that. I think previous tests have shown that you need 3-5 of them for them to start fighting, and that's with a 1x1 room.

Anyway, make sure you have a plan for hospitalization for the subject. Dogs can cause a lot of damage pretty easily (i.e. missing limbs and / or death).

Turkeys are better for long term chambers as they have a hard time causing anything worse than bruises, even to other turkeys. However, they require nest boxes and it takes a little while to reach a high enough density of turkeys per tile to cause fighting. A good hospital plan is still a good idea for infections, but there's far less risk. Skill gain using turkeys is slower, unfortunately.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 07, 2012, 10:42:47 pm »

Generally hammers made from candy cane/fairy floss are fairly non-lethal, but you can't put them into upright spear traps, therefore you can't danger train anyone with them (short of giving them to goblins and letting them hammer away,which might also include danger of kicks/bites)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 07, 2012, 11:30:59 pm »

Generally hammers made from candy cane/fairy floss are fairly non-lethal, but you can't put them into upright spear traps, therefore you can't danger train anyone with them (short of giving them to goblins and letting them hammer away,which might also include danger of kicks/bites)

Traps trigger whenever something falls onto them, right?

Build a machine to repeatedly drop children onto a bed of weapon traps. Bonus points if the trap is underwater so they simultaneously train swimming. Far, far more fun than a jungle gym!
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 08, 2012, 01:46:04 am »

Standard weapon traps trigger when enemys or anyone unconcious is on the tile. So you could just trap your child in a pit containing 10 squishy foam bats and wait for it to fall asleep, the problem is the training will be very sparse due to how rarely the child will sleep, test subject will awaken after the first hit and probably won't get a chance to actually dodge the attacks making it useless.
However nets cause immobilization which i think also triggers traps, if you can get a captive cave spider to fire through a fortification at a child on a weapon trap he will get hit, BUT i believe he can't dodge due to being immobile, if he does dodge you'll probably need to block off the cave spider, and harvest the web to reset the trap for another hit, which would be a fairly slow process.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 08, 2012, 05:28:56 am »

Lever set to repeat, unconnected. Bridges, bridges. Pressure plate linked to bridge. Dwarf child.

Weapon traps somewhere down here and also water for swimming training. Path for child back up to starting position ^

ASSUMING low-quality candy maces won't break a child's skull (science is required), this should produce an infinite dwarven treadmill. In fact, if it really is child-safe you could danger room your entire fortress.

EDIT: Quick testing shows that this won't work with vanilla weapons. A featherwood axe is remarkably safe, far far safer than traditional justice weapons, but still causes some bleeding and risks infection.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:14:37 am by NonconsensualSurgery »
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 17, 2012, 11:12:43 pm »

Bumping by request.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 17, 2012, 11:14:11 pm »

Oho, I love this thread. Girlinhat always has the best ideas...

Also, why isn't this in the Hall of Legends?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 18, 2012, 08:26:46 am »

Probably because it hasn't generated one bloodthirsty psychopath yet.

There's a lot more mundane animals now, I wonder what's bigger than a turkey but smaller than a dog

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 22, 2012, 01:58:18 am »

Probably because it hasn't generated one bloodthirsty psychopath yet.

There's a lot more mundane animals now, I wonder what's bigger than a turkey but smaller than a dog

dingoes

and they're in no short supply

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 22, 2012, 04:09:41 am »

Dingo ate my spartan babi
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 76