Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: swimming problem?  (Read 1123 times)

atomicsam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
swimming problem?
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:38:10 pm »

In adventurer mode i have been working with a character training my swimming skill, currently im a skilled swimmer and now i cant use alt+direction to get out it has happened before after a certain level of skill, dying from alligators.
I tried the wiki and now im confused, any controls tips?
P.S. im stuck in a river. :'(

Edit: just got out, is it due to ripples?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:47:57 pm by atomicsam »

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: swimming problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:14:09 am »

Are you trying to climb out against a cliff face? rivers tend to erode leaving walls on either side of them so you may have to swim for a bank, in the top right corner it shows what's above/below you
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 06:38:51 am »

In adventurer mode i have been working with a character training my swimming skill, currently im a skilled swimmer and now i cant use alt+direction to get out it has happened before after a certain level of skill, dying from alligators.

Were you hostile with any of the civs? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 07:13:17 am »

Were you hostile with any of the civs?

what does climbing out of a river have to do with some people disliking you?
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 07:42:41 am »

My mistake, I forgot to ask exactly how you got out.  The only way my previous question would make any sense is if you got out of the river using "T"ravel mode. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:43:22 pm »

My mistake, I forgot to ask exactly how you got out.  The only way my previous question would make any sense is if you got out of the river using "T"ravel mode.
i dont believe you can fast travel while in the water.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:57:38 pm »

Think you can under the condition it's somewhere you can retire like a river going through a friendly town
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 03:03:42 pm »

Think you can under the condition it's somewhere you can retire like a river going through a friendly town
no.  just tested it.  "you cannot fast travel because you are swimming"

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 02:14:01 am »

no.  just tested it.  "you cannot fast travel because you are swimming"

The reason I asked my, in hindsight, rather stupid question, was because in one of my playthroughs, I tried slaughtering a town, which had a river running through it.  I figured that the river would make a neat escape route, only to find that I couldn't get out or fast travel, BECAUSE I WAS IN HOSTILE TERRITORY.  That's why I asked my question.  Luckily, it was a river, not a pool, and the river eventually left the outskirts of the town, and fast traveled out. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 02:53:30 am »

The reason I asked my, in hindsight, rather stupid question, was because in one of my playthroughs, I tried slaughtering a town, which had a river running through it.  I figured that the river would make a neat escape route, only to find that I couldn't get out or fast travel, BECAUSE I WAS IN HOSTILE TERRITORY.  That's why I asked my question.  Luckily, it was a river, not a pool, and the river eventually left the outskirts of the town, and fast traveled out.
seems like the "hostile territory" message takes precedence over the swimming one.  i wonder where the combat message ("you do not feel safe enough to travel") would fit...

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 02:20:43 pm »

There needs to be a space up and in the direction you are leaving the water for you to occupy. You cannot occupy a solid block or a tree or something.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

atomicsam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 11:44:49 pm »

I think it was the white moving ripples or something else because i could move in any direction but ALT-Direction did not work until i could hardly see the ripples on my screen.

EDIT:ALT-DIRECTION would work in the river but attempting to get on to land wouldnt work, probably ripples.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:57:58 pm by atomicsam »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 02:17:52 pm »

I think it was the white moving ripples or something else because i could move in any direction but ALT-Direction did not work until i could hardly see the ripples on my screen.

EDIT:ALT-DIRECTION would work in the river but attempting to get on to land wouldnt work, probably ripples.
you sure the bank was on the next z up and not 2?  nothing on the edge like a tree that could block you?  occasionally you wont be able to swim in certain directions UNLESS alt+moving, that, i think, is caused by "ripples"... but i dont think that should interfere with getting out.