Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam: Is it down?  (Read 1439 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Steam: Is it down?
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:46:59 am »

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but nevertheless, is it?

Can't connect, but it allows me to go into offline mode, which I assume means its not my internet, otherwise it wouldn't be able to connect to my account when going into offline mode.

If its not down, anyone have a clue how I might go around to fixing this?
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Abi79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam: Is it down?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:01:28 am »

If I recall correctly, there's a file stored in the Steam folder (clientregistry.blob possibly) which remembers you as being logged in and lets you go into the offline mode. Try moving it outside of Steam's directory and then start Steam again, make sure you don't have Peerblock open and try pinging 72.165.61.190. That's the server my Steam connects to on login. Can you ping it?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:05:23 am »

Nah, it's not down. Do what the guy above said. Peerblock does indeed keep Steam from starting right.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:24:21 am »

Nah, it's not down. Do what the guy above said. Peerblock does indeed keep Steam from starting right.
It does that. Have it installed as well, just disable it before starting it up again. It's optional whether you want to re-enable it or not post-login, but I think having it enabled will mess around with your latency if hopping on multiplayer. I usually don't re-enable as long as I'm logged in, just in case (VAC security getting a false positive or something).

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 11:38:48 am »

If I recall correctly, there's a file stored in the Steam folder (clientregistry.blob possibly) which remembers you as being logged in and lets you go into the offline mode. Try moving it outside of Steam's directory and then start Steam again, make sure you don't have Peerblock open and try pinging 72.165.61.190. That's the server my Steam connects to on login. Can you ping it?

Thanks. Moving the file out prevented me from using offline mode, like I thought. I can ping that IP. Never have downloaded Peerblock.

I think I've had this problem before. I think I just waited a long time and it fixed itself. Might have to do with my internet speed. I have satellite internet, and when I go over my "limit", it gets slow. Near dial-up speeds. Steam might just be timing out.

Oh. I know what I did wrong. When I turned my computer on Steam didn't start up, and when I tried starting it up it said Steam was already running. So I ended the process with task manager.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 03:41:26 pm »

Sorry to hijack, but I'm having issues with Steam at the moment as well. I cannot look at any page save for my library without Steam crashing. This only started today. Any idea what may have happened?
Sounds like you've got some more serious problems going on there.
If I'm right, you're talking about the Store and Community right? Those are both just reskinned browser windows. Open up IE and try opening the steam page. If IE crashes, fix that and it'll probably fix steam.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 03:47:50 pm »

Steam has its own built in browser now. It's not a session of IE.

Try rebooting. Windows' superfetch wont let you reload a fresh copy of a program until you either fill your memory with something else or you reboot.

As for the other guy not being able to log in, steam downloads around 3 to 10mb of garbage at log in sometimes. If your internet is slow at the moment, like <10kb/s it will take almost 10 minutes for it to log in or even more. Once I had to let it up there for 30 minutes.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 06:49:52 pm »

If I remember correctly Steam can get stuck in a callback loop error thing with Windows 7. I get them all the time with I imagine happen more frequently since I block ports that my isp doesn't mirror (shitty internet caps here).

You can get a manager that can attempt to unfreeze steam when it gets stuck in these loops. Heres a link to one that can do it (you can ignore the whole blocking non-Australian isp servers thing)
http://anguswolfcastle.fileave.com/steam/

I'm not sure if thats the problem you're facing. I've have a lot of problems with steam sometimes and other times it works fine, seems to be a bit hit and miss for me these days.