Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Interior Decorating, aka "How to defile goblin remains"  (Read 1060 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a problem. I've kill a couple theives (and let's be honest--this is the first time I've stuck with a fort long enough for it to use it's military).  Now I want to flaunt the corpses.  How do you butcher them?  One was killed inside and his body dumped in the trash.  The other killed outside and he just lays there, smelling--not as bad as when he was alive, mind you, but pretty bad nonetheless. 

Related question:  How do I bring bones and skulls that are outside into my indoor stockpile?  I checked and they aren't forbidden.  I have also removed the stockpile and zone that the bones were in, but no one comes to pick them up.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Interior Decorating, aka "How to defile goblin remains"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 05:19:38 pm »

you can't butcher sentients
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:20:40 pm »

Indeed, if you leave them long enough they will turn into bones (or at least other invader creatures do), but you cannot butcher them.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:26:16 pm »

Ok, so I have wait.  Weeelllll,  ::) I suppose I can live with that.  But any ideas on why I can't get outdoor bones to be carried inside to my bone stockpile?   
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:27:31 pm »

You have 'Gather Refuse Outdoors' disabled. Press o and enable it for lots of fun.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:36:04 pm »

Thanks!!! I figured it was something that simple, but looked and looked and still couldn't find it.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel odd about a default setting that protects you from fun?

Again, thanks tons!

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 07:46:12 pm »

It is possible to butcher sentients it does require changing a single line in the raw files though.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:45:23 pm »

It is possible to butcher sentients it does require changing a single line in the raw files though.

Several people do this.

It makes trading with Elves more fun.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 12:59:41 am »

Making trophies of sentient enemies is kind of undwarven, in Toady's eyes.

I can kind of empathize.  I've known some people who have gone to war, but if they had come back wearing a necklace of ears, I'd be kind of freaked.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 03:57:19 am »

Remember to build a road for your visiting merchants to follow, and proudly display the still rotting corpses of your previous visitors along said road.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Sygnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 04:17:55 am »

Care to elaborate?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 05:03:27 am »

Care to elaborate?

In the folder DF->raws->objects find the file entity_default.txt. Look for this:

Code: [Select]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:APPALLING]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:SHUN]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]

Change the settings to ACCEPTABLE and dwarves will butcher sentients. Whether or not it needs a fresh world gen, I honestly don't know. Do !!science!! and tell us.

Sygnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 05:44:17 am »

I love how it's under ETHIC. Toady is amazing.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 07:39:35 am »

Wait long enough and if the corpses were already chopped up a bit you will get goblin bones.

I got the joy of seeing a goblin assault decimated by a marksdwarf squad shooting them with goblin bone bolts firing from goblin bone crossbows.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart