Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Guild 1 and 2  (Read 1130 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Guild 1 and 2
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:50:15 pm »

So, there's the "The Guild" game series. Tell me about the games. Is The Guild 2 an improvement over The Guild 1? Are the expansion packs worth it, or are they low quality bugfests? And so on.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: The Guild 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:53:24 pm »

I have only played The Guild 2: Renaissance, but it's quite good. You have a lot of freedom for what you want to do, and there is quite a bit of depth to the game once you get into it. I found out about it by watching One F Jef's LP of it. Which was both hilarious and informative and why I bought the game in the first place.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 03:56:00 pm »

Obligatory search results.

Might help, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 04:06:10 pm »

I enjoyed the first more than the second, but they're both fun games.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 04:24:13 pm »

Obligatory search results.

Might help, I guess.

I've been here a while. Maybe I'm wrong. This forum community is generally not big on the "squash 'em for not gravedigging a year old thread" concept.

I forget which version of the Guild I run from GoG, but the frustration in mine was always that everybody else goes so much faster than me. :(
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 04:54:55 pm »

Got The Guild 2 recently during the summer sale, it's pretty fun overall but I was kind of tearing my hair out due to the current state of the modding community. Everything I found was either "do it yourself" modding or very dated/dead mods. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with the do-it-yourself stuff if I have some guide-lines but it was really giving me a headache trying to sift through years old forum posts on a virtually dead forum. Other than that, great game with a few issues here and there. Apparently most of the expansions are stand alone and don't require the original game, Renaissance is the newest one as far as I am aware.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 05:14:32 pm »

Guild 2 with expansions (Never play it without..) is much more user-friendly than Guild 1, also much better graphically.
Guild 1 is more complex and more focused on the actual plotting, not running.

In my opinion, the first Guild is much better than the sequel.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:52:47 pm »

The Guild was crap. Terrible. The whole thing was a buggy excerise in guessing what will work, waiting a really long time, and the checking your results. There were so many stupid quarks to the game it wasn't worth playing.

Here is a list!
Regardless of your family size, you can only have three characters active.
Once you set a character to be inactive you can't make them active again and they do NOTHING.
Your class decided what types of shops you could work in, so if you have a child and he turns out different he can't work in your shop.
Your LEVEL decided what types of shops you could work in, so if you have a child, he has to level up before he can take over the family business
The only way to level up was to work in your shop.
Complete lack of important information. Sure, you can murder the owner of that shop if A) You figure out who it is. B) You figure out where they live C) you find them.

It looks and sounds so awesome but the basic functionality is fail. And the bugs. Even the least buggy version was totally fale. Your opponents just die off. No reason to help them along.

I know I am in the minority here, but the game isn't even worth $20 bucks.

As a final note, necroing the old thread isn't so bad. It is less than a year old and this thread will just be a repeat of those coversations.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:10:05 pm by Fikes »

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:06:52 pm »

The Guild was crap. Terrible. The whole thing was a buggy excerise in guessing what will work, waiting a really long time, and the checking your results. There were so many stupid quarks to the game it wasn't worth playing.

Here is a list!
Regardless of your family size, you can only have three characters active.
Once you set a character to be in active you can't make them active again and they do NOTHING.
Your class decided what types of shops you could work in, so if you have a child and he turns out different he can work in your shop.
Your LEVEL decided what types of shops you could work in, so if you have a child, he has to level up before he can take over the family business
The only way to level up was to work in your shop.
Complete lack of important information. Sure, you can murder the owner of that shop if A) You figure out who it is. B) You figure out where they live C) you find them.

It looks and sounds so awesome but the basic functionality is fail. And the bugs. Even the least buggy version was totally fale. Your opponents just die off. No reason to help them along.

I know I am in the minority here, but the game isn't even worth $20 bucks.

As a final note, necroing the old thread isn't so bad. It is less than a year old and this thread will just be a repeat of those coversations.

You're talking about Guild 2, without expansions for some parts, and obviously unpatched for others.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 06:09:10 pm »

The Guild 2 Renaissance to be exact, which was supposed to be the least buggy version.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 06:11:16 pm »

Personally I enjoyed The Guild 2 more than the Guild.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 06:26:11 pm »

The Guild 2 Renaissance was an amazing piece of entertainment for me. I must have put in 100+ hours trying out different characteristics/businesses/strategies. Just a wonderful experience.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 06:53:40 pm »

The Guild 2 Renaissance was an amazing piece of entertainment for me. I must have put in 100+ hours trying out different characteristics/businesses/strategies. Just a wonderful experience.

Are any of the points Fikes raised valid for the latest patch?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 07:48:08 pm »

Fikes stated his opinion on those elements of play and so they are valid in his experience. Those elements didn't bother myself or many others, but there is no way of knowing which group you would fall into. I am unaware of any new patches in a long time.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 07:50:13 pm »

Sounds like I'll have to 'demo' this before deciding if it's worth purchasing.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: [1] 2