Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 955130 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4320 on: August 12, 2014, 10:57:34 am »

I thought he was talking about the mechanic of lifting chunks of terrain and moving them.  ._.

more about flowing water and changing terrain than the actual picking up of materials (although that would be cool too, under fire? Build your infantry a sand castle!)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: August 12, 2014, 11:23:06 am »

I was, at first, excited for From Dust, but good god it was a terrible console port
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4322 on: August 12, 2014, 11:47:41 am »

^^Hey I still had a lot of fun with it on my Xbox. I thought the controls were good.

I thought he was talking about the mechanic of lifting chunks of terrain and moving them.  ._.

more about flowing water and changing terrain than the actual picking up of materials (although that would be cool too, under fire? Build your infantry a sand castle!)
Oh my god. ARMY MEN. You could remake army men and you have to build them forts from stuff you have that change depending on the environment: indoors you use furniture, pillows, outside you use mud, sand, etc. And it would play like Toy Soldiers (except not awful). And it would be amaaaaazing. :O

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: August 12, 2014, 12:15:59 pm »

Army men RTS has been done before. In fact, that's what it's called:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Men:_RTS
However, it does not have the terrain changing mechanics at all.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: August 12, 2014, 02:20:15 pm »

I think that's his point. Basically From Dust (with god-power terrain deformation) and RTS army elements, with "it makes sense" context coming from the fact that it's toy soldier army men, not actual armies.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4325 on: August 12, 2014, 04:14:37 pm »

Army men RTS has been done before. In fact, that's what it's called:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Men:_RTS
However, it does not have the terrain changing mechanics at all.
Yeah that's.. Not what I'm talking about at all. That just looks like a normal RTS in an Army Men setting.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: August 12, 2014, 04:52:30 pm »

I'd totally be down with a much longer and better created Bound by Flame.  They made a rather great back story for a very small game (took me 13 hours), if we could've just expanded on that (and fixed game mechanics) then I'd be happy.

Instead of fighting just the one Ice Lord they could've gone and made it much more satisfying with a bunch of trips to defeat all of them, heck they could've even taken out the linear part of the story at this juncture and made a town in the midst of everything act as a hub.  Not even a town, just a small camp or something.  Instead they basically cut the game down to about a sixth or a seventh of what it could've been.  Characters in general could've been more fleshed out and more well written. 

The demonic transformation you go through could've been done better as well.  Instead of it being story elements that make you change they could've made it where optional quests or challenges would've made the power surge up more to the point of completely becoming a demon (instead of being a human demonified).  I understand why they didn't, it was a driving element, but it seemed rather forced as it was.

A main gripe was the combat.  You didn't really do a lot of damage with the two handed sword, the daggers, or any other weapon for that matter.  The enemies had some ridiculous amount of health while you were off smacking them with a stick no matter how far you were into the game, or so it felt.  It was more or less an illusion of difficulty, simply because of the fact that most of the enemies had way too much health and you did little to no damage.  Fights dragged on and you could die in a two or three move combo if the enemies set it up right.  Get rid of the illusory difficulty, make enemies easier to kill, and add more difficult situations (as in being swarmed, or an actually decent boss fight).

Armor and weapons could've been expanded upon.  Being able to forge your own weapons would've been nice.  If they had made an anvil crafting area to make weapons, where you just funneled all of the loose materials you'd been hording for the past levels could've been spent, it would've been a nice addition.  Instead there were a couple of static drops around that you ended up getting via kicking a random corpse in an icicle or finishing a quest.  Those weapons, or pieces of armor, were then able to be upgraded by adding pauldrons, tassets, and a hip pouch.  That added some variability, but not what I'm looking for.  They could have also made an endgame suit of armor, or a sword, that you had to go through a quest to get, that would be undeniably better than every other armor or weapon.  Instead I ended up entering a new chapter and somehow grabbed the best sword from it instantly and upgraded it within 10 minutes.  Everything found after that was recycled.

I think the thing that I liked most from this game was enemy design.  Get rid of the shambling corpses found in 9/10 RPGs nowadays, and you had some really interesting enemies to fight.  The one Ice Lord you fight was a rather boring and unimaginative fight, but otherwise I had fun with most of the bosses. 

So yeah, if they had made it into a full-length 60 hour game, with more customization and exploration without any illusory difficulty, would've been a game that I would have dearly enjoyed.  Oh, they could've fixed the whole talking without moving the teeth thing, too.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: August 12, 2014, 05:13:40 pm »

An RPG (Or strategy either. They would both end up containing elements of the thing I want but can't describe what it is with words properly.) game set inbetween Asimov's 'Foundation and Empire' and 'Second Foundation'. Video or tabletop game I'm not picky.
Seems like a really interesting setting to explore with something interactive.

Worst thing is that there is a browser game that is seemingly exactly that, but it's French.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: August 13, 2014, 02:08:51 am »

I want to see a game that makes the player completely helpless and powerless.

There are all sorts of games out there that give you power and give you the power to choose what happens to the rest of the world or the other characters. I want to see a game where you exist in the world, and the events happen to you rather than because of you. You can react, but not control.

It's not a fully fleshed out idea, I know.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: August 13, 2014, 02:38:59 am »

There are all sorts of games out there that give you power and give you the power to choose what happens to the rest of the world or the other characters. I want to see a game where you exist in the world, and the events happen to you rather than because of you. You can react, but not control.

It's not a fully fleshed out idea, I know.

They exist... There are plenty of series where you are helpless to change the events that will transpire and you are only really holding on.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: August 13, 2014, 02:49:54 am »

I wouldn't be surprised that games like that do exist, I just can't think of them right now .So I would be interested to hear about them in specific.

What I really want is for the player to be put in the position of being affected by the decisions of someone else, rather than being the person who makes the decisions. So many "decision" based games give you the power of life and death over the other characters in the game, and I want to see that situation reversed in some way.

I want to see a game explore being powerless, since most games are based, in one way or other, around having, gaining, and exercising power.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: August 13, 2014, 03:02:40 am »

Well remember, what is it that you do?

Eternal Darkness for the most part... is exactly that.

Sure you can do well, kill and slaughter endless droves of the horrid, but in the end you are just a leaf caught in the wind.

Uhh let me see... Something something War... dang I forgot...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:05:07 am by Neonivek »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: August 13, 2014, 03:05:05 am »

I would like a game in which you are a villain, but you start as a really shitty one that almost no-one knows and doesn't really have any powers, and you have to work your way up from there.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: August 13, 2014, 03:29:58 am »

I would like a game in which you are a villain, but you start as a really shitty one that almost no-one knows and doesn't really have any powers, and you have to work your way up from there.

Legend of Kyrandia 3... sort of >_>

It also stinks...

Story is that you are Malcom a powerful magical Jester who once took over the land using your dark powers and even managed to slay the king! But... after suffering a defeat in the first game your powers have been stripped... so now your just some old loser in a jester outfit and absolutely no one takes you seriously.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:52:09 am by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4334 on: August 13, 2014, 11:56:33 am »

Clock Tower 1 and 2, Silent Hill 1-4, Rule of Rose and Lone Survivor are all really good examples, and I'm a big fan of all those series. Clock Tower especially is an amazing experience that evokes some genuine feelings of terror in me. It's a really cool game which I played very recently and I'm very happy that it scared me as much as it did. The fear isn't really nightmare inducing, it's a lot more immediate as you try to escape this guy who's trying to kill you. Meanwhile Silent Hill has that oppressive, uncertain and supernatural atmosphere in spades that make you look over your shoulder while you're playing the game.

To date Silent Hill 1 is the only game I had to stop playing because I was so scared. :c
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:58:20 am by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 577