Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239971 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #2655 on: May 29, 2013, 09:58:28 am »

Yes, soul ring has been stablised as useful enough on skelly king that its worth delaying your armlet for it. If you arent doing super well you should just get the armlet though, but then again if you aren't farming well in the early game as skelly king then you're probably screwed unless you can get a fair bit of free farm.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: May 29, 2013, 10:00:52 am »

I think it's a bit of a waste as well. He gets free mana just from reviving and considering he has enough mana to fire off three stuns and then reincarnate at level 16 even without getting items or stats, he has more than enough mana. Especially considering he basically can get full mana every 60 seconds. If even one person on your entire team has mana boots, you literally have no reason to get any further mana regen. Furthermore, getting mana boots or soul ring on him just to counter mana burners is a very futile idea as he only has a 10 mana leeway with them.

So what this means is that if SK gets manaburned even once after casting soul ring / mana boots, he can't reincarnate.

Reincarnate only happens when SK dies.

To die, SK must get attacked.

See the problem?

Remember that two of SK's three skills don't do anything useful until he's much higher level.

This means the proper way to play him is

Q -> stats -> Q -> stats... etc. etc. ult.

If you do that you'll never have mana issues. He'll also be generally better to play overall since he will have useful things (stats) instead of healing a pithy 1hp per attack or critting for 40 damage. The reason for this is because skilling stats on SK gives him 120% additional mana and mana regen per level compared to him just leveling up normally. This is in addition to the extra hp and armour and damage and all other fun stuff.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: May 29, 2013, 12:19:14 pm »

Right, but level 16 is a long way away from any time you'd consider starting to build Soul Ring.  It's far more interesting when he's still just in the single digits and has enough mana to pull off one stun and then reincarnate (or, even earlier, one stun and then wait 10 seconds for his mana to regen to the point where he can reincarnate).  And since this is still laning phase, having just that teensy bit of extra health regen is also nice to have, since it still makes a difference.  And this is when if he gets his "free mana" from reincarnating, it's a whole 260 seconds of downtime and being vulnerable.

Also, SK can't even reincarnate off of manaboots without getting burned.  It doesn't provide as much mana as soul ring does (also, notably, it does so on a much longer cooldown than the ring).

You'll want to keep a base mana buffer for your reincarnation, but you can use Soul Ring to get off that one last nuke/stun without touching your emergency reserve.  Using SR to give you reincarnate mana is a bad idea because you can get stunned and then killed before you can activate it...  But again, it does allow for an extra slam without going into your reserve.  And early on?  The difference between one nuke/stun/slow and two nukes/stuns/slows is rather significant.

EDIT:  Dagon stories?  Yeah, I got one.  It was a private bot match, though.  Dagon + Refresher on Lina.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: May 29, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »

I also look at it that soul ring gives you a passive hp regen and mana regen early on.  Really it depends on how everything is going but harassing the enemy with soulring+stun+soul+stun during laning phase should give you enough breathing room to get all the extra cs you'd miss otherwise.
Nom nom nom

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: May 29, 2013, 07:26:27 pm »

You need to read this http://www.playdota.com/guides/epic-return
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: May 29, 2013, 07:30:30 pm »

You need to read this http://www.playdota.com/guides/epic-return
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
edited due to lack of internet sacarsm getting across thingy. 
NO YOU MUST DO ALL ZE CHIP DAMAGES YOU CAN!  FUCK BEING A REAL MAN, PINOY DOTO!!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:37:55 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: May 29, 2013, 07:31:57 pm »

I'm just kidding  :P

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: May 29, 2013, 07:38:18 pm »

oohhhhhh well then 0.-
Nom nom nom

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: May 29, 2013, 07:47:07 pm »

But yeah soul ring is good as long as your not the only carry if you are then you need that slot for the hand of money

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: May 29, 2013, 07:52:46 pm »

But yeah soul ring is good as long as your not the only carry if you are then you need that slot for the hand of money
I personally feel that SK really fails if he's the only carry, no real escape mechanism to speak of or anything that lets him close with a target faster.  I've always felt he shines as secondary carry/tanky ass hard to kill dude.
Nom nom nom

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: May 29, 2013, 08:01:12 pm »

New patch not much but we did reach the taunt goal in the compendium 
GAMEPLAY
- Fixed illusions being able to upgrade to flying courier.

UI
- Added a spectator popup when Heroes acquire high end items.
- Added a broadcaster menu (opened by clicking on the dota logo in the top right) that allows broadcasters to send generic stats, queries, and poll results to spectators.
- The Spectator Smooth Drag setting is now preserved across runs.
- Added notifications of item purchases in some cases.

PERFORMANCE
- Fixed a crash when starting replays on 32-bit versions of Windows.
- Fixed a crash when changing window or screen resolution.
- Fixed a crash when using alt-tab while running full screen.

WORKSHOP
- Added Itsy spider courier.

AUDIO
- Update Drums of Endurance cast sound.
- Add secondary underscore for startup UI.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: May 29, 2013, 08:04:59 pm »

Huh happy to see they finnally fixed the couple of window change crashes, thats actually bothered me sometimes since I like alt tabbing a lot but I also like full screen.
Nom nom nom

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: May 29, 2013, 09:07:06 pm »

I never get to play Gyro the other team always quits

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: May 30, 2013, 05:55:48 am »

It must be guilt. I also quit when one of the enemies goes 0-20-1, to preserve the poor man's sanity.
These are rough times, after all, let him have a glimpse of hope.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: May 30, 2013, 09:08:18 am »

Oh look at this, WC3 Dota got a new update. Can't wait for it to come to Dota 2.

Also, it's got two new heroes!

Kaolin, the Earth Spirit, who is, like the other spirits in Dota 1, a panda.
And.. Nerif, the Oracle!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:26:37 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 246