Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 238998 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2012, 08:27:12 pm »

I have to admit, I have issues when my opposite on the lane is a ranged guy and I am playing a guy with no reasonable range at all (the latest example would be playing as the butcher vs the sniper. I sorta had range in the form of the hook, but that relied circumstances that do not really come up in the lane.) and so I keep getting ground down on my HP and having to both lose farming time myself and giving it to the other team. Before I know it their carry is three levels above everyone else and the game is pretty much lost. And advice?

Edit: Also I have no idea how to tell the bots to reform our lanes so that I am against someone I can actually take. Not to mention they seem to think a Ganker or Initiator should get their own lane well the carry has to share. I don't know much about this game, but I am pretty sure that is not the way to do it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:31:00 pm by Criptfeind »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2012, 08:52:42 pm »

Actually, gankers do quite often get their own lanes, although ranged carries are the most important. Ranged Carries -> Gankers -> Melee Carries is the usual list of "who gets the lane". It really depends on a hero; any specific heroes you seeing getting a solo lane that you think shouldn't?

Not really sure how to force a lane switch. Might want to google it. I know they will switch if you just walk into their lane, and I know there is a way to make them switch in DotA 1.

My advice is to try not to get stuck in a lane like that (Sniper might be food for a ganking Butcher, but in-lane, butcher has no chance). If you cant help it, get a Stout Shield; it is decent on just about any melee hero except for Leviathan (who comes with his built-in.). Sniper's damage is reduced to almost nothing early-game by a Stout Shield, although his attacks do go through it 40% of the time.

But yea, don't solo a lane with a hero your not 100% confident in using. And dont put two melees (or three, if you are doing a tri-lane) into the same lane, that is just asking for trouble. Its not as easy with AI allies, but when you have been outlaned by a human, pull a ganker off another lane to kill him with you. Pudge is, however, an amazing solo ganker. Turn on Rot, Hook someone right after, then Dismember them when they are pulled next to you. Instantly kills most people early game and will take out squishy support heroes... forever.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 09, 2012, 09:09:22 pm »

Also butcher is a really hard champ to start with.

Skeleton King is probably the easiest melee and Lich is probably the easiest mage.
Shoes...

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2012, 09:35:58 pm »

Haven't been playing long myself, after waiting two months to get in, but I have to say I like Nature's Profit. Just like how he plays, but I find I like any of the gankers... As long as they have a stun, or some other way of controlling my enemy's movement.
...Said Bloxace.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2012, 10:14:38 pm »

Skeleton King is probably the easiest melee and Lich is probably the easiest mage.

Thanks. Just got my first win (only vs bots though) with Skeleton King.

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2012, 10:29:19 pm »

Criptfeind, play against other player through the "find match" function. If you have beginner selected, you are very likely to be paired up with other players who can barely play. Of course, you can always find the games your self.
...Said Bloxace.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 09, 2012, 10:46:32 pm »

I'm not going to lie. I'm pretty damn scared about doing that. But I guess I gota at some point.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 09, 2012, 11:25:06 pm »

As far as I can tell, the ranking you choose has little to no bearing on the difficulty of player you receive in the matchmaking system. Since most of those features seem to be in beta, and they don't have any form of tracking system to keep tabs on who does well and at what level, its more or less a crapshoot as far as getting matched with the appropriate skill level.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2012, 12:02:36 am »

Huh. I get almost all players of my own skill level, with very little variation. Maybe everyone in the Western US is as bad as me...
Any way, we ought to use steam for playing together... But I fear a little thing called "timezones" will get in the way of this. Just a thought.
...Said Bloxace.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2012, 12:24:36 am »

Play Viper. :3

Super easy to play, does such ridiculous damage everyone complains he's OP. All you need to do is press R on something and alt-Q. Then attack move.

Enchantress too. She even has a team heal to go along with her crazy deeps. She also has Chen's ability to convert monsters so you can walk around with centaurs to stun people while you epic deeps them.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2012, 12:38:17 am »

Enchantress is a little harder though, because OMFG so squishy. Any nuking hero will rape the hell out of her.

Viper is easy though. Nice and tanky.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2012, 12:02:13 am »

Wow I sorta dislike being a melee laning against Mirana. So much stun. So much gank.

I mean, later on in the game the stun loses power quite a bit because it will most likely be coming from further away and she never seems to be able to do a ton of damage (although done right that is certainly the sorta stun that can turn any team fight.) But at the start it is super powerful, against me at least. I mean, my choice would be run away whenever I see her which means no farm for me and tons for her, or to get a 4-5 second stun and most likely killed.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2012, 12:39:44 am »

I dont know, the Stun is pretty hard to evade if you know she is in the lane. Just like facing pudge, always weave in and out of your ranged creeps. The stun will go off on one of them, sparing you. This is, obviously, if she is in a spot where she can actually arrow you.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 11, 2012, 12:04:40 pm »

Mirana's arrow/Pudge's hook is pretty easy to dodge for me. It is much harder if you are not aware of their presence, but when you know they are there it is easy (atleast for me). Therefore wards against mucho ganking lineup! One of the best item in Dota - observer wards. It is especially needed against teams of russians (I call them that when all 5 players go gank one hero). There are some melee heroes that have no problem in line (Admiral, Beastmaster) and then there are some who suck in laning.
Mirana is also paper hero, any nukes and she will go down fast. Viper/Ench detto nukes/stuns will rape them np.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 11, 2012, 12:20:28 pm »

I dont know, the Stun is pretty hard to evade if you know she is in the lane. Just like facing pudge, always weave in and out of your ranged creeps. The stun will go off on one of them, sparing you. This is, obviously, if she is in a spot where she can actually arrow you.

You can not farm and do that at the same time. I'm not a ranged guy.

At any rate. It is very frusterating when you have farmed well and ganked well and all that stuff and can pretty much kill any two or three of the enemy team, but your own team is just not up to snuff so you still lose team fights.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 246