Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55812 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2011, 10:53:51 am »

Yeah, the always online thing isn't even an issue for me, but that was a pretty pathetic "response" to the valid complaints. I was amused at the "being online means there won't be dupes  :-\ " reasoning. Maybe someone there should play the games they make.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2011, 12:11:31 pm »

I hate to break it to you, guys, but all those discussions won't change anything. For every fan who rants on forums about the unfairness of it all, ten mindless fanatics will go and buy the game no matter how fucked up it is if it has an established name. The same thing happened with AC2 and it's DRM - I've seen a thousand people claiming they won't buy the game (and they probably didn't). Did that influence the profit? No.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2011, 12:19:14 pm »

I hate to break it to you, guys, but all those discussions won't change anything. For every fan who rants on forums about the unfairness of it all, ten mindless fanatics will go and buy the game no matter how fucked up it is if it has an established name. The same thing happened with AC2 and it's DRM - I've seen a thousand people claiming they won't buy the game (and they probably didn't). Did that influence the profit? No.

If anybody here was trying to change something, they'd be talking about it on a more public place than the DF forums.  ;)

Besides, if a thousand people won't buy the game because of these issues then it DOES influence profit.  Maybe not by much, but it still sends a message.  There are plenty of games I didn't buy because of either DRM I didn't like or it contained Windows Live.

I'm probably getting the game though, because most of these issues are pretty minor to me.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2011, 12:50:33 pm »

I don't care if it actually changes anyway.

I will do my part by not supporting it.

I'd only buy it if it turns out to be an awesome game. Awesome enough to counter the bullshit. I doubt that will be the case.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2011, 12:57:39 pm »

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I'm expecting a pirated offline version on day 1 and dupe exploits for online play within the first month flooding the market and ruining the auction house.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2011, 01:01:03 pm »

If it's their server that rolls the item drops and then give to your character, you cannot dupe items.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2011, 01:04:26 pm »

If it's their server that rolls the item drops and then give to your character, you cannot dupe items.

Yeah, I'm assuming this is how its going to be done. 

A possible exploit might be something like triggering the loot roll for your character every second or something, but as its always on DRM I rather expect blizzard to be monitoring for unusual loot requests.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2011, 01:15:49 pm »

As I understand it, that was the realm play setup for Diablo 2, and duped runewords were pretty much universal, as well as maphack and all that stuff. I take Blizz's no hacking promises with a grain of salt, someone will figure out a way. I do wonder if they'll be quick about stomping out things and doing more ruststorms though.

For every fan who rants on forums about the unfairness of it all, ten mindless fanatics will go and buy the game no matter how fucked up it is if it has an established name.

What if I go and guy the game because I think it will be fun and worth the purchase price? Is that an option?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2011, 01:29:00 pm »

For me it's not a matter of boycott, it's that I'm not interested at all in that game. They can mince words as much as they like, in the end this whole thing boils down to the fact that Diablo 3 is a poorly disguised transaction driven MMORPG, and I'm not interested in the slightest. Whether it makes a difference or not with Blizzard is ultimatedly irrelevant for me, as there are other games that can take the niche they are leaving.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2011, 01:46:33 pm »

However, if there's a warehouse in China full of people grinding the best drop locations and selling items to you for a few bucks, then the server is effectively duping items for you.

And if Blizzard takes a cut from that transaction, then they have no incentive to fix it.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2011, 01:59:35 pm »

I wonder. By this system of online auctioning, Blizzard could invisibly make characters, give them items, then sell them for full profit. They claim they won't, but no one will ever know.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2011, 02:08:14 pm »

and even if 'blizzard' doesn't, it's employees might be rather tempted.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2011, 02:32:41 pm »

"Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It" is a forum thread.  It is engraved with images of dwarves flinging shit.  It menaces with spikes of tin foil hats.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:38:52 pm by V-Norrec »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2011, 02:36:22 pm »

Even if shady pirates can't create an offline mode there's probably going to be not-strictly-legal locally hosted servers so that you can play offline.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2011, 02:57:15 pm »

"Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It" is a forum thread.  It is engraved with images of dwarves flinging shit.  It menaces with spikes of tin foil hats.

Thank you for contributing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43