Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My next "project" , beverage without farming?  (Read 1625 times)

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My next "project" , beverage without farming?
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:08:50 am »

So for my next fortress i was thinking of what i was gonna do... And i thought of the farming in all my fortresses , and its all plumphelmets , Plumphelmets and more plumphelmets...
So for my next fortress i dont want to do any farming , Instead i want to try making pastures for meat / cheese ... But now is the problem , How do i get alcohol without farming`?

Thanks - Utaelilya

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: My next "project" , beverage without farming?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:15:25 am »

gathering plants,above and underground ones of course
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:16:15 am »

There are always surface plants that can be gathered by those with plant gatherer skills which can be brewed. Aside from that I think honey - but you'll never get the quantities you'll need for a fort. It's not that hives are not hard to build, but getting hive ready for harvest and you need a glazed jug for products etc, THEN you need to squeeze it THEN brew it.

Churn out rock crafts and buy out every merchant, even the elves :P
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:19:32 am »

Hives and plant gathering?

well buying out the merchants wont make it , becouse they rarely come.

But its good to know that theres ways to do it , and if i run out of beverage
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fun

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:19:55 am »

Failed spoiler but still (:

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:32:46 am »

Hives and plant gathering?

well buying out the merchants wont make it , becouse they rarely come.

But its good to know that theres ways to do it , and if i run out of beverage
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is entirely possible for a fort to function without booze, just expect slow and miserable dwarves. You may also want to make sure there's some safe drinking water in the fort itself.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 08:35:35 am »

That is a clear no , I live to serve my dwarfs well hehe ;)
Allways have statues / chests in atleast every dwarfs room.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 08:51:00 am »

plant gathering solves booze problems easily, especially when combined with caravan booze and plants. 1 cavern layer provides enogh plants for many, many dwarves.
beekeeping is more of a headache right now, than it is of an industry i think.

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 08:53:30 am »

plant gathering solves booze problems easily, especially when combined with caravan booze and plants. 1 cavern layer provides enogh plants for many, many dwarves.
beekeeping is more of a headache right now, than it is of an industry i think.

Does beekeeping works? , I used it last fortress and i was kinda confused.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 08:55:13 am »

Make mead and eat meat.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 09:17:04 am »

Plant gathering is a truly great thing and I'll tell you why. If you want lots of different kinds of booze and are farming, you have to fiddle around with lots of farm plots, seasonal crop rotations and the like. Bleh. At the moment I have an entire soil layer dug out for my tree farm and as a by-product of keeping it stripped clean of plants I now have over twenty different types of booze in my fort. Nothing keeps dwarfs happy like a vast variety of booze, not to even mention the masterwork roasts, each one with different ingredients. So strip the land bare of plants, strip the caverns, build a tree farm and defoliate that too. Plants don't belong in the earth but in barrels, waiting to make your dwarfs ecstatic with variety. I don't even bother with farm plots anymore (although it is good to have some in place for emergencies).
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 09:19:43 am »

Plant gathering is a truly great thing and I'll tell you why. If you want lots of different kinds of booze and are farming, you have to fiddle around with lots of farm plots, seasonal crop rotations and the like. Bleh. At the moment I have an entire soil layer dug out for my tree farm and as a by-product of keeping it stripped clean of plants I now have over twenty different types of booze in my fort. Nothing keeps dwarfs happy like a vast variety of booze, not to even mention the masterwork roasts, each one with different ingredients. So strip the land bare of plants, strip the caverns, build a tree farm and defoliate that too. Plants don't belong in the earth but in barrels, waiting to make your dwarfs ecstatic with variety. I don't even bother with farm plots anymore (although it is good to have some in place for emergencies).
You just made my day brighter with that speech xD
And now that i think of it....Its perfect!
Im having a large pasture with goats to get cheese (and meat) , and another large area for plant gathering!

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 01:04:19 pm »

1. mod the raws to make cows give booze when milked
2.???
3. profit!
4. alchoholic cheese.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 01:08:25 pm »

So for my next fortress i was thinking of what i was gonna do... And i thought of the farming in all my fortresses , and its all plumphelmets , Plumphelmets and more plumphelmets...
So for my next fortress i dont want to do any farming , Instead i want to try making pastures for meat / cheese ... But now is the problem , How do i get alcohol without farming`?

Thanks - Utaelilya
just don't plant plump helmets. Plant cave wheat, quarry bushes, etc. Dwarves will get an unhappy thought from drinking the same booze over and over again.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 01:19:27 pm »

Thanks - Utaelilya
just don't plant plump helmets. Plant cave wheat, quarry bushes, etc. Dwarves will get an unhappy thought from drinking the same booze over and over again.
If they only have one source of alcohol available for long enough, they'll actually stop drinking it eventually.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.
Pages: [1] 2