Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter  (Read 19029 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 09:24:15 pm »

Coolness.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 09:31:14 pm »

Funsies (maybe Fun and Profit) and my sorta-first time.  I fooled around with different ring sizes and weaves, started to make a wide 4 in 1, but took that one apart to fit into the new 10 in 1, because I was mostly getting a handle on how to coil and cut, and what angle to weave with.  Now that I've got that down, the rest is pretty easy.  Then again, I'm fairly dexterous to begin with.  I would use a needle and exacto knife to make origami cranes that fit several onto the side of a dime.  So weaving tight metal rings into other crowded tight metal rings is just the sort of dexterity challenge I love.  I want to try a smaller ring size and thicker weave, like a 1/8" 20 gauge 12 in 1, or something equally impressive.  That would be, thinner, smaller rings, packed more tightly.  Or I may go for larger rings packed very tight, like some sort of 18 in 1 or some other preposterous number.  For now though, I'm having trouble finding smaller pipes, so I'm sorta limited to this size.  May or may not try to order something online.

I'm for real about the profit part though, I'm not opposed to making a little scratch money once I've proven I can handle things.  It's just, the traditional shirt still scares me D:

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 09:33:42 pm »

Hey, cool! My senior project this coming year will be to construct a European 4-in-1 hauberk. Should be loads of work fun!
Spare yourself. I ended up reneging on my project and just making a coif. It took an incredibly long amount of time too.
Still doing research, haven't signed my name to anything yet. It does seem like a hell of a lot of work, so I'm weighing that against the awesome factor.

For now though, I'm having trouble finding smaller pipes, so I'm sorta limited to this size.
Metal rods are pretty easy to come by around here, if you have something that can drill a hole in them. Wooden dowels don't work, though. I tried that once.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 09:41:05 pm »

This really belongs in creative projects. But hey, no biggie.
I can't help but think as I look at it'd make for a great belt (hey, if it works for bikini's ;] ). That would of course be a lot of work though.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 09:44:40 pm »

I've got to say, great work for a "sorta-first time". When I was learning how to do mail, my instructor turned out to be a joke, and ended up with about eight different ring sizes that he was trying to make work. Do you have any interest in going further into blacksmithing?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:35 pm »

I haven't thought about further smithing, namely because of my aversion (and clumsiness) with heat.  Mail like this requires no heat unless I get into spot welding, though I may look into riveting sometime (still looks a bit gruesome).  Of course, the high-quality mail would be steel of some sort that's been welded on each ring.  Expensive stuff, that, but there's a market for it for sure.

For now, I'm sticking with modest accessories and jewelry, I'll see what happens.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 10:18:14 pm »

Me and my cousins made two small chainmail... things (they're squares that cover the tops of the shoulders, upper chest and shoulderblades and upper spine of the back, don't know what to call them) and were hoping to expand them, but we haven't really done anything in a while.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »

Me and my cousins made two small chainmail... things (they're squares that cover the tops of the shoulders, upper chest and shoulderblades and upper spine of the back, don't know what to call them) and were hoping to expand them, but we haven't really done anything in a while.
Pauldrons?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 10:27:29 pm »

Similar but not quite.  Pauldrons are usually plate, I believe, and attached as part of a suite.  What he's describing is... I dunno, just an incomplete shirt.  Failshirt.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 10:34:09 pm »

Girlinhat, how did you learn how to do this? Youtube and websites? If so, can you provide links please?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 10:34:50 pm »

Girlinhat, how did you learn how to do this? Youtube and websites? If so, can you provide links please?
They would indeed be nice if you have them.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 10:36:41 pm »

Essentially, yes, failshirt. I'm small-framed, so the one made for me was able to cover my entire ribcage, making it slightly less fail. Pauldrons are shoulders only and go over and around the entire shoulder (look at World of Warcraft to see really big examples of pauldrons.) My failshirt didn't droop down over the shoulders, it just covered the top area between the neck and the point (or whatever it's called).

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 10:42:56 pm »

That is indeed its own piece of armor, but the name eludes me, because it is rarely its own piece anymore and is instead attached to the head covering. Essentially, it was to help transition between the chest protection of plate mail and the head protection of the helmet, before the gorget came into style.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 10:46:43 pm »

My more active cousin did have a name for it, but he's sleeping so I can't ask him.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 10:46:50 pm »

The original video, this guy is pretty great and got me interested.  Highly suggest you watch all his "a point on" videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RssIl2v0C1k

The wikihow article that showed me how very easy this was.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Chainmail

A video of a somewhat better-equipped man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBQjp_oZ0Z8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXz3aOz3HbM&feature=fvwrel

How to do 6-in-1 (turn your volume up a bit).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx33h5t2Gk8

How to do 10-in-1 (which shows that mail can be scaled for any X-in-Y if you have wide enough rings).
http://www.chainmailbasket.com/euro_10in1.php

Fantastic site of interest.
http://www.theringlord.org/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13