Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do Dwarves experience inebriation the same way Humans do?  (Read 4502 times)

Greng

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Be Attitude for Gains
    • View Profile
Do Dwarves experience inebriation the same way Humans do?
« on: July 31, 2011, 03:56:11 pm »

I know they can hold their booze, and it is much more socially acceptable to be drunk.  So much so that a Dwarf undergoing a dry spell would probably raise concern from the community. 

I wonder if the symptoms of inebriation are in-fact the same as for Humans?

:o

Perhaps Dwarf Fortress needs Psychiatrists to try and explore and open up the emotions of these Dwarves?

OR!

Abstainers Anonymous ~

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Dwarves experience inebriation the same way Humans do?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:06:36 pm »

I think it's the opposite. They can't work properly if they don't drink and they slow down considerably.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:14:44 pm »

Dwarves act sober when drunk, and act drunk when sober.  They're completely the opposite of humans.  Therefore, its a concern for the community when a dwarf is 'sober' when theres alcohol around, because he can be a danger to himself and others.  Don't not drink and drive!
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 04:22:24 pm »

Warning: Do not operate heavy machinery when sober

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 04:52:47 pm »

In all seriousness, if you're curious I'm writing a rather thorough examination of dwarven life in the story thread.  Linky here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89684.0

If you're not interested in a serious reply, then ignore it and have fun here! :)
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 05:05:44 pm »

The dwarven liver is made of steel, metaphorically of course.  That is why the liver can handle the massive amounts of booze they drink.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 05:10:28 pm »

In terms of Dwarf Fortress, dwarves work like sober humans in reality.

But just in Dwarf Fortress terms, humans, or any civilised species in fact lacking [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] will preferentially drink alcohol if it is available (I believe the only time this doesn't happen is if the species has [CARNIVORE] but I cannot confirm this). They don't suffer any ill effects from not drinking alcohol, but do not have any negative effects from drinking alcohol either. You can check this by playing as humans.

I predict this will change some time in the near future, about the same time as we get alcohol-fuelled violence in taverns. The resulting changes to the way [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] works means you'll have a good reason to avoid sober dwarves, because you'll get sobriety-fuelled violence otherwise, even if your dwarves are otherwise three or three hundred times over the ecstatic threshold happiness-wise.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Greng

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Be Attitude for Gains
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 05:38:35 pm »

If you're not interested in a serious reply, then ignore it and have fun here! :)
Thank you for your link and thank you to everyone for replying so far.  Food for thought in game, lore or otherwise!

I'm happy with serious or silly responses and I'm checking out your link now, a quick scan tells me it's worth my time dipping into  8)

I've been holding off on adventure mode until the next release because it looks so much more fleshed out (has it been stated when the release might be?)  but the idea of bar brawls and drunken larceny is quite EXCITING!

I'm not smart enough to be a fully hardcore player of this game yet but I love seeing how far I can get.  Still haven't managed to get magma/smelting or iron ores to appear or work yet  :'(   so sorry if the noobishness is nauseating!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 07:36:26 pm »

I believe dwarves get drunk when they drink water, and that booze acts much like the former liquid does for humans. Which means that a dwarven body is approximately 80% booze.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 07:41:33 pm »

Their liver is twice the size of a human's, and a dwarf is 6/7 the size of a human. So alcohol would have about 6/14ths or 3/7ths as much effect on darves as it does on humans, ignoring their increased acquired alcohol tolerance. So dwarves get less drunk from a drink of booze.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 07:50:48 pm »

I believe dwarves get drunk when they drink water, and that booze acts much like the former liquid does for humans. Which means that a dwarven body is approximately 80% booze.

Then.. dwarves must be flammable, right? Explosively so?  *Grins wickedly*

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 09:12:21 pm »

Then.. dwarves must be flammable, right? Explosively so?  *Grins wickedly*
Of course, that is why they don't notice that their burning when they are on fire.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

OniRyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 11:52:38 pm »

Quote from: Futurama
Fry: Bender! You're blind-stinking sober!
Bender: That's right! I'm sober and crazy and I don't know what I might do!
Fry: Don't do it!
Bender: I don't know what it is yet.

Proof that Dwarfs all become robots in the future.
This is the bottom of the post. Reading beyond this point is pointless. Seriously why are you still reading? Am I the last post on this thread or something? Then you should be replying instead of reading this! ....still reading? You were that baby who fell during that cave in weren't you? (sigh) Seriously, stop reading and start replying or move onto the next post. There is NOTHING of interest here... except the secret easter egg of <classified>. Pretty awesome huh? NOW MOVE ON ALREADY!!!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 11:58:42 pm »

Or maybe.. the robots are simply designed by dwarves?! Or.. designed AFTER dwarves!

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 05:23:11 am »

Dwarves are born in a state of knurd. That is; they see the world for how truly depressing and hopeless it is. This realisation of the world makes them fall into a melancholy and work in an apathetic state. Thus dwarves take to alcohol to bring themselves up to less sober levels so they can work in peace. Your drunkard dwarves are probably just normal humans in regards to sobriety. The sober ones were the emokids at school who wrote dark poetry about how the world is pointless.

The fact that their livers are bigger than humans (despite Dwarves being smaller than humans) is simply compensation for the fact that dwarves require alcohol to remain sane.
Pages: [1] 2