Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553452 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #480 on: November 19, 2013, 02:58:58 am »

Does Youtube alter its available quality settings and buffer speed based on the browser it detects you using? I've disabled every plugin I have and every feature I can think of being relevant in Comodo Dragon, and I'm still barred from quality settings higher than 360p on most videos, regardless of the settings actually available (as verified in Firefox and Chrome). I also gave Iron a try, same restrictions. I seem to be able to get access to better quality by blocking the appropriate IP address, but I can't find a consistent range, and it varies from video to video, making this incredibly tedious.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 19, 2013, 06:48:42 am »

lets see

Nvidia
GT620 52 bucks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130814
GT640 85 bucks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500308
I did not post the GT630 as there are some misconceptions thats its either an 620 overclocked card or a underclocked 640

AMD
6570 55 bucks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127611
7750 90 bucks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202002

theres probably cheaper versions of these cards too just newegg's site is really stupid for search and for most parts these cards are usually just renamed as the years go on with no improvements and these are the few cards that actually are new.
Thank you. The AMD Radeon 6570 looks like the one I want to get, but the problem is that my HP DC7900 has a 240-watt PSU and a 400-watt PSU is recommended for said graphics card. Would I still be able to install an AMD Radeon 6570 graphics card into my HP DC7900 without having to upgrade the PSU, or will I have to upgrade the PSU as well? It does say on this comparison site that the AMD Radeon 6570 requires 27 watts of the PSU's total to run if that helps.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 19, 2013, 08:20:06 am »

lets see

Nvidia
GT620 52 bucks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130814
GT640 85 bucks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500308
I did not post the GT630 as there are some misconceptions thats its either an 620 overclocked card or a underclocked 640

AMD
6570 55 bucks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127611
7750 90 bucks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202002

theres probably cheaper versions of these cards too just newegg's site is really stupid for search and for most parts these cards are usually just renamed as the years go on with no improvements and these are the few cards that actually are new.
Thank you. The AMD Radeon 6570 looks like the one I want to get, but the problem is that my HP DC7900 has a 240-watt PSU and a 400-watt PSU is recommended for said graphics card. Would I still be able to install an AMD Radeon 6570 graphics card into my HP DC7900 without having to upgrade the PSU, or will I have to upgrade the PSU as well? It does say on this comparison site that the AMD Radeon 6570 requires 27 watts of the PSU's total to run if that helps.

You would be better spending more on the 7750 imo.  The 6 series cards were pretty poor performers and the 6570 would struggle with any modern games even at low resolutions.  The 7750 will have roughly double the performance of the 6570 and is based on a much more modern tech.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 19, 2013, 08:24:03 am »

Does Youtube alter its available quality settings and buffer speed based on the browser it detects you using? I've disabled every plugin I have and every feature I can think of being relevant in Comodo Dragon, and I'm still barred from quality settings higher than 360p on most videos, regardless of the settings actually available (as verified in Firefox and Chrome). I also gave Iron a try, same restrictions. I seem to be able to get access to better quality by blocking the appropriate IP address, but I can't find a consistent range, and it varies from video to video, making this incredibly tedious.

The resolution options usually get greyed out if your internet is slow/lagging.  I get this at peak times when i cant watch 1080p, it will start for a few seconds then drop to 720 or lower and greys out the other options.

Does this happen in other browsers or can you watch 1080p fine without it dropping resolutions?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 19, 2013, 09:18:52 am »

For those who have a SSD - Is the speed upgrade worth the cost?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 19, 2013, 10:07:04 am »

The resolution options usually get greyed out if your internet is slow/lagging.  I get this at peak times when i cant watch 1080p, it will start for a few seconds then drop to 720 or lower and greys out the other options.

Does this happen in other browsers or can you watch 1080p fine without it dropping resolutions?
Yeah, in other browsers I can watch 1080 with no problems. In this one, they're not even grayed out - they don't even appear.

EDIT: Also, IP blocking no longer seems to help at all. And the problem is consistent across all Chromium distros.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:28:37 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 19, 2013, 12:29:17 pm »

Bauglir, make sure its not something like accidentally being in the html5 test thats limiting it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 19, 2013, 12:45:07 pm »

... I was pretty sure I'd checked that already, but some quick searching indicated that I needed to actually install an extension to force Flash to be used even once I'd opted for the default player on this page. Seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 19, 2013, 04:16:26 pm »

Thousand times yes, 12 second bootup from Windows 7? can't say no to that. At most 128gb is a good buy and just dedicate it for your OS.

Honestly most computers will not take much of the psu, your computer i could see at max burn up 100w with mobo cpu and hard drive. The extra wattage is there as space as capacitors age and lose their rating. Now i do see psus for your box floating around on ebay that are rated for 365w so upgrades do seem to exist if you want the bigger card.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 20, 2013, 02:48:26 pm »

Thousand times yes, 12 second bootup from Windows 7? can't say no to that. At most 128gb is a good buy and just dedicate it for your OS.
What's an SSD and should I get one for my HP DC7900?

Honestly most computers will not take much of the psu, your computer i could see at max burn up 100w with mobo cpu and hard drive. The extra wattage is there as space as capacitors age and lose their rating. Now i do see psus for your box floating around on ebay that are rated for 365w so upgrades do seem to exist if you want the bigger card.

So get a bigger PSU or don't get a bigger PSU? I don't understand what you are saying outside of I'll have to replace my computer eventually.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 20, 2013, 02:51:21 pm »

i dunno what your needs are for the graphics card, theres so much you can really do with prebuilt computers these days.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 20, 2013, 03:01:32 pm »

An SSD is a large-scale usb drive, basically. More expensive than a standard hard drive, smaller amount of space, much faster.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 20, 2013, 03:04:15 pm »

i dunno what your needs are for the graphics card, theres so much you can really do with prebuilt computers these days.
Most of what I do with a computer is play older games and largely 2D indie games. Most modern AAA game I play is Civilization V, which is the only game my computer has problems with graphically. The rest of the AAA games I've seen released these days either don't interest me or disgust me more than several things I'm not allowed to talk about here.

Honestly, graphics don't matter to me for the most part. I just care about framerate and gameplay. I want a dedicated graphics card so I can get better performance than this integrated graphics chipset I am using. Unless the modern graphics can pay my bills, cook me meals and give my meatbag body some loving I don't care for them. I just want my games to run as fast as my machine can allow them to, that's all.

An SSD is a large-scale usb drive, basically. More expensive than a standard hard drive, smaller amount of space, much faster.

Sounds like a rather bourgeois frivolity, unless if you're talking about external harddrives. You essentially mean a very fancy USB stick right?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 20, 2013, 03:13:31 pm »

a very fancy stick that over-exceeds 6GBps bandwidth ;)

An issue with Civ5 is that it requires a quadcore processor, gfx isnt much of a problem as your mouse isn't sync with the graphics processing on the map. If at this point i recommend the Nvidia GT640 then, it consumes at much 40w so you won't have to replace the psu, its the best you would get out of this box.

Scratch that i got word that 7750s can consume as much as 50w from the box, if thats the case you are more than good to get one of those :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:30:17 pm by Tellemurius »

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 20, 2013, 04:07:26 pm »

a very fancy stick that over-exceeds 6GBps bandwidth ;)

An issue with Civ5 is that it requires a quadcore processor, gfx isnt much of a problem as your mouse isn't sync with the graphics processing on the map. If at this point i recommend the Nvidia GT640 then, it consumes at much 40w so you won't have to replace the psu, its the best you would get out of this box.

Scratch that i got word that 7750s can consume as much as 50w from the box, if thats the case you are more than good to get one of those :P

So get the AMD Radeon HD 7750? I don't think I could do that seeing as it is sold out. Also you're telling me that I will never meet the recommended system requirements of Civilization V unless I purchase a new computer? I might as well not bother getting a dedicated graphics card then and instead just invest in something else a little less futile. Thanks for the information.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 350