Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553468 times)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #450 on: November 05, 2013, 04:24:04 pm »

Do you use Internet Explorer?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 05, 2013, 04:52:43 pm »

Firefox and Chrome.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 05, 2013, 05:04:16 pm »

Have you changed the page encoding at somepoint? Sounds like that would be related.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 05, 2013, 05:41:41 pm »

Whatever that is, I don't remember doing it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:48 pm »

I have a problem I'd appreciate some help solving:

Spoiler: direct explanation (click to show/hide)

Ultimately, I do have the option of replacing the machine as a whole, but if all I really need to do is isolate and replace one component, that'd be much preferred.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 06, 2013, 03:44:32 am »

That almost certainly sounds like a bad hard drive. Of course, to test that you'd need another hard drive from somewhere. However, it sounds like its worth replacing the hard drive rather than the whole computer.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 06, 2013, 09:01:26 am »

You can (usually) boot off a usb stick, that has either a Live Linux or bootable utilities suite like Ultimate Boot CD or Hiren's Boot CD

Just to make sure I have the latest utilities, I update the utilities disks with the latest manufacturer's test programs - for those look at the brand of disk you are having a prob with, go to their site, look around the support section for their disk test utility.  If you can't find it post the brand (and ideally model) and I'll try to find a direct link.

In linux, the command I use to test drives is "badblocks", although there's a couple other shorter tests and SMART diagnostics available through the gui - these are a good 1st start, they'll show blatant problems.  Badblocks will test every sector on the drive.  Using badblocks usually needs you to open a shell window and type in some stuff on the command line, it's not hard at all.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 07, 2013, 01:38:01 pm »

So I think I might he getting some hard drive failure soon. This would be the second time in about nine months. I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y580, which I've heard are notorious for bad hard drives. Last time around christmas, I got the click death and sure enough the hard drive failed. This time, about a month ago, I thought for sure I was hearing the click of death... but a restart of the computer fixed it. Just today, I started hearing it way worse- constant clicking, motherboard beeping, and even programs failing to start. Just to see if it would work, I restarted, and after restarting twice my computer is "fine" now.

TL:DR, I occasionally hear the click of death but it goes away when I restart, and the last time it happened was worse than before. Should I be worried? I also feel like if I try to get the drive replaced on warranty right now, it'll show up at Lenovo's support place and not have any problems and they won't replace the drive.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 07, 2013, 03:54:05 pm »

most of them dont really care and will switch them out

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 08, 2013, 07:53:10 pm »

Yeah you should be worried, there's something bad starting to happen and that stuff rarely fixes itself.   Either way, I would be backing up all your important stuff like NOW.  Then I'd find out the brand of hard drive in there, and get the manufacturer's diagnostic program, and see if it is reporting errors.   Also you can run the windows disk surface scan:  when you have a windows explorer window open, right click on the drive, pick tools, "error checking" and "check sectors for errors", or however it's labelled now.   WARNING, on any size disk this will take a LONG LONG time, 10,20+ hours is not out of the ballpark.   I run the linux "badblocks" test when I get a new hard drive, and a 2T drive takes about 30 hours :p  (It's a little faster per pass than the windows one but the default is for it to do 4 passes).

The other thing to think of running is "memtest" - memory does go bad and it can cause all kinds of flaky behavior.

PS:  Back up your important stuff NOW.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 11, 2013, 12:46:17 am »

Argh.

So I start playing a Star Wars RPG, it gets me excited about Star Wars again, I want to play KotOR, I install both, try and start up KotOR 1, and it tells me I don't have the right OS.

What.

This is the saved report when it says I don't have the goods.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone able to help?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 11, 2013, 01:33:25 am »

did you try running compatibility mode? i been able to play KOTOR fine.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 11, 2013, 01:33:30 am »

Try running it in windowed mode, with Compatibility Mode for XP SP2 or 3 enabled. Run as admin, of course. This seems to work for a lot of older games, for me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 11, 2013, 01:46:34 am »

Also if you are running 64bit windows, get that folder into the x86 program files, that screws up alot of legacy programs.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #464 on: November 15, 2013, 01:53:15 pm »

ARG I'm getting very frustrated. Some background process on my Windows 7 machine is constantly stealing focus from whatever I'm using. This only just started happening yesterday, which happens to be the first time I actually restarted the computer in a long while. So something took effect at restart that I now can't seem to track down. Even while I've been typing this, the window has lost focus THREE TIMES and I had to re-focus on the text box to keep writing.

I have tried to use Process Explorer to find the culprit using some instructions I found online, but I couldn't find anything. I can't play games, I can't type, I can't do anything. Can someone please help me? How the hell do I figure out which program is doing this so I can kill it?

ARGH that's about ten times now, I'm going to throw this fucking thing against the wall! Please help me!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 350