Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Capital Punishment be allowed?

Yes.
No.
Only for certain crimes. (Name please)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 24287 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Punishment
« Reply #285 on: July 31, 2011, 08:49:57 pm »

His argument is that because it was founded by Christians, it'd better keep following Christian law.

Logically, that means that because it was founded by slave-owners, it'd better keep following slave-owner values.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 31, 2011, 08:52:02 pm »

How about the biblical laws by which adulteresses may be stoned to death?
He's already said he's perfectly fine with innocent people dying as a result of his "steamlined" court system.  Do you think he cares about adulteresses...?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 31, 2011, 09:00:37 pm »

How about the biblical laws by which adulteresses may be stoned to death?
He's already said he's perfectly fine with innocent people dying as a result of his "steamlined" court system.  Do you think he cares about adulteresses...?

... Right.  I forgot.

But still, stoning is a bloody terrible way to die.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2011, 09:02:20 pm »

Any good ways to die except in your bed, warm, drunk and with a smile on your face while you gloat on the living people crying at the edge as you think "Haha, I'm outta here."... What?~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2011, 09:04:29 pm »

It may be hard for some to admit, but gory deaths deter crimes. I wished we televised executions and used more graphic methods of death, such as a return to electrocution or gas. All methods of execution can potentially cause excruciating pain, even lethal injections, so I see no problem with it.
I have... a feeling that he won't care too much about how horrible a death stoning is either.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2011, 09:12:56 pm »

Right.  I forgot we were talking to Mr.Fascism here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2011, 09:19:03 pm »

=
Indeed. It's probably good that I'm not President, since I would threaten nations that practice stoning with immediate invasion should they refuse to ban it's practice, consequences be dammed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2011, 09:20:33 pm »

The state has the authority to execute its people.
Every person has an immutable right to live.
Going to slightly play the devil's advocate here, and say that people also have the right to freedom (as in not being in jail).

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2011, 09:21:54 pm »

=
Indeed. It's probably good that I'm not President, since I would threaten nations that practice stoning with immediate invasion should they refuse to ban it's practice, consequences be dammed.
Worse way to die than that you know. All of those slower and more painful.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2011, 09:23:08 pm »

Going to slightly play the devil's advocate here, and say that people also have the right to freedom (as in not being in jail).
That's less immutable.Total freedom is violent anarchy.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2011, 09:24:58 pm »

That's less immutable.Total freedom is violent anarchy.
And what makes one right less immutable than any other right? For example, which is more "immutable", freedom of religion, or freedom of speech? (To have FoS without FoR, you'd be able to practice religion in private, but not publicly)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 31, 2011, 09:28:35 pm »

I think the death sentence should be supported, to a degree.

Life imprisonment might not be enough, since seriously now, the guy might escape and continue his killing spree. At least, permanently cripple the guy's legs, and one arm and eye. That should keep him from being able to do anything significant.

However, crippling might be abused, if allowed. You know, politicians and other higher-ups might be bashing other people with that, because they didn't vote for them in the elections.

Also, the death sentence, like MetalSlimeHunt posted in the first page, might be abused too when it's allowed, with those pesky politics people killing certain people just to get a better rank.

Seriously, as much as I support death sentence, to a degree (terrorists, mass murderers), it can be abused by evil politics people if it becomes the norm, with the country eating itself.

Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 31, 2011, 09:33:44 pm »

And what makes one right less immutable than any other right? For example, which is more "immutable", freedom of religion, or freedom of speech? (To have FoS without FoR, you'd be able to practice religion in private, but not publicly)
Any right, to be a functional right, must apply to any and all situations that do not involve fringing upon another person's rights. Essentially, maximizing their freedoms without taking anyone else's. Once someone has been charged with and convicted of a victim crime, their presence in the outside world is dangerous to others and infringes upon their right to live in peace. In the old days, we would kill or exile these criminals to protect the rights of others since there was no other way to be rid of them. However, these days we have facilities to hold these people, so something can be done about them without violating their right to live. Hence, the death penalty is immoral.
Life imprisonment might not be enough, since seriously now, the guy might escape and continue his killing spree. At least, permanently cripple the guy's legs, and one arm and eye. That should keep him from being able to do anything significant.
It is unethical to cause unnecessary harm to another individual without their consent, especially if the harm in question is permanent. You need to understand, even though these people have been convicted by a jury, that doesn't mean that they did indeed commit the crime. It only means that the jury found them to appear guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and as we all know, people are very, very fallible. We have to treat criminals in prison as if they might still be innocent of their crimes, because that very well may be the case.

Furthermore, escaping from maximum security prison in the US is essentially impossible.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #298 on: July 31, 2011, 09:40:47 pm »

Any right, to be a functional right, must apply to any and all situations that do not involve fringing upon another person's rights. Essentially, maximizing their freedoms without taking anyone else's. Once someone has been charged with and convicted of a victim crime, their presence in the outside world is dangerous to others and infringes upon their right to live in peace. In the old days, we would kill or exile these criminals to protect the rights of others since there was no other way to be rid of them. However, these days we have facilities to hold these people, so something can be done about them without violating their right to live. Hence, the death penalty is immoral.
Yes, but why is it immoral? Is it not more immoral to let them suffer in jail? Is it not more humane to simply kill them and end their suffering?

Devil's advocacy aside, the innocents that unfortunately get caught in the death penalty are the largest problem with the death penalty (it's not exactly reversible like life in jail).

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 31, 2011, 09:42:14 pm »

It may be hard for some to admit, but gory deaths deter crimes. I wished we televised executions and used more graphic methods of death, such as a return to electrocution or gas. All methods of execution can potentially cause excruciating pain, even lethal injections, so I see no problem with it.
I have... a feeling that he won't care too much about how horrible a death stoning is either.

To be fair, once you have jumped in the death penalty bandwagon, it sort of makes more sense to make it more bloody and public than private and whitewashed (as is done nowadays, in an attempt to make it seem more "civilized)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27