Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are FBs immune to themselves?  (Read 804 times)

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are FBs immune to themselves?
« on: July 25, 2011, 03:53:24 pm »

Some kind of dinosaur with deadly dust found a hole in my defenses, and before I knew it, it was causing havoc in the middle of my unarmed, completely defenseless fortress.  Out of a token gesture more than any kind of real hope, I assembled 30 naked civilians and sent them after it and sat back to watch the carnage.
I’m not sure what happened after that. There were great plumes of smoke (the dust?) coming from it, and, not surprisingly, the only thing doing any damage at all was a dog that managed to scratch the beast on the tail. Then, out of nowhere, the Brewer goes Beowulf on it and punches the thing’s leg off. Clear off! The beast collapses and lands in its own frozen extract. Then it was dead.  The 30 dwarves were blistered down to their internal organs and died slowly and agonizingly, but the fortress was saved.
The thing is, I can’t figure out how it died. I didn’t see any deathblow in the combat log. It collapsed, then it died. So I’m wondering, is it possible it came into contact with its own blood, dust, or extract, or whatever, and died?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Are FBs immune to themselves?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »

Dust blasting beasts can blow themselves apart... this is both highly hilarious and bad news for things near it.
This is a blank sig.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:28:23 pm »

Yep I think any omnidirectional blast from forgotten beasts can harm themselves. I consider a form of justice, since the beasts are basicly pulsating beacon of deadly shockwaves coupled with often extremely harmful syndromes.
It isn't so much about killing a beast as it is destroying a machine of mass destruction inside some monstrous hulking freak. I'd prefer just to fight the monster rather then the death machine.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 05:43:36 pm »

What was the beast made of? I mean, a completely unskilled dwarf just punching it's leg off...

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 06:08:58 pm »

I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary. She did have high strength.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 06:50:53 pm »

Was it made of salt, water/snow, ash, vomit, mud, or grime? If so, that's why it was so easy to kill.
Also, all forgotten beasts are immune to their own syndromes. However, "deadly dust" uses the same physics as cave-ins, so it's possible that the beast's attack flung it into the air and slammed it into the floor (or wall) with such force that it died on impact.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:45:54 am »

I once had few FB die from "suffocation" after falling unconscious without getting attacked by dwarfs o-o In other words, I had few times FB die from syndrome from another FB, I didn't even know that is possible ._.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 01:19:25 am »

They're immune to their own syndromes, but the dust causes a cave-in effect that can lead to sometimes mortal wounds.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 01:26:35 am »

Yeah, in one of my previous forts I had a giant humanoid made of jelly opal. It had a deadly dust attack which caused instant full-body necrosis. I actually saw dwarves emitting miasma as they flew towards a wall and blew apart.

Anyway, after it slaughtered my militia, it started on the shoe-retrieval brigade, and managed to blow itself apart immediately. Only casualties were my whole militia and a woodcutter who stepped in a pile of extract and rotted alive.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Madurjafro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 06:23:44 am »

Yeah, in one of my previous forts I had a giant humanoid made of jelly opal. It had a deadly dust attack which caused instant full-body necrosis. I actually saw dwarves emitting miasma as they flew towards a wall and blew apart.

Anyway, after it slaughtered my militia, it started on the shoe-retrieval brigade, and managed to blow itself apart immediately. Only casualties were my whole militia and a woodcutter who stepped in a pile of extract and rotted alive.

I think I laughed more than I should have.
I have not had an FB yet, going to be in for lots of fun when I do.