Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Preparing for Mineral FBs  (Read 2091 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preparing for Mineral FBs
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 11:44:08 am »

Mob them with well-armed dwarves. For every hit he gives you'll give ten, and sooner or later someone will get lucky.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 12:09:23 pm »

What I sometimes do to get the early game over with quickly is embark with 30 dwarves ponies. That way I can take enough to get set up in a reasonable amount of time, and it's perfectly fair, since invasions are based on wealth, so if you get started quicker they just come quicker. The More Embark Dwarves thread has a guide on how to do it.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 12:38:55 am »

Adamantine Battle Axes/Halberds will shred the thing. If you have an old version, get Steel Whips. They're freaking lightsabers.
My preferred method would be to trap it and use it as a target for my Marksdwarves.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 04:06:25 am »

My preferred method would be to trap it and use it as a target for my Marksdwarves.
This is what I'm doing with a dust-breathing charcoal beast trapped on the edge of my map. I experimented several times with digging in and going melee against him and every time it ended in lots of dwarf death. The bolts are chipping it... but the last volley of a hundred or so all chipped at him and his wounds haven't gotten worse than red.
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 04:19:02 am »

This is what I'm doing with a dust-breathing charcoal beast trapped on the edge of my map. I experimented several times with digging in and going melee against him and every time it ended in lots of dwarf death. The bolts are chipping it... but the last volley of a hundred or so all chipped at him and his wounds haven't gotten worse than red.
what weapons were your melee squads using?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 09:08:35 am »

Also, try to buy a Maul from the humans. They're massive, and since most metals are the same in blunt, the maul should cause a lot of damage to a glass creature.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 01:18:31 pm »

Enough Swords should do the trick. Mineral FBs can have every bone(?) in their body broken, but they will still keep on going. Your best bet is to decapitate them.

For some reason, swords are better at chopping off limbs than Axes (Huh?).
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 01:25:41 pm »

Mineral FB's? The trick is to swarm them with superior-metal weapons (iron and steel work) until they die. It is, in fact, possible to chip away at them until they are bisected. The only beasts that are essentially unkillable by military might are mineral blobs, since they lack an upper and lower body. And even then, cave-ins automatically kill anything that is trapped directly underneath a falling tile, no exceptions.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 01:27:05 pm »

A mineral blob? I can't think of a better archery target. If anybody finds something like that, they damn well beter trap it and use it. That's such a boon.
Pages: 1 [2]