Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bored  (Read 719 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bored
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:26:27 am »

Survival is not a problem. FPS is not a problem (atom smashed all stone, caged or killed 90% of all animals). Production is not a problem. Everything I need has been dug out, engraved, and had gem encrusted furniture put on it. I'm not opening the clown car, and I dislike building mega-projects (bad architect, laziness, no original ideas).

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bored
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:10:39 am »

May I direct you to the modding forums? There's a fine assortment of mods to choose from, ranging from those that crank up the difficulty (Fortress Defense) to those that flesh out the world (Genesis) to those that are just fun (mega-goblins) to those that are close to a total conversion (Wastelanders, etc).

Just browse around and give one a shot. If you know DF pretty well, picking up and playing a modded version is easy to do.

Tried the mods. Played Genesis till I got tired of werewolves sieging me at every turn. Played Corrosion till the infected came riding giant jaguars (really broke it for me...). Played various other, but currently decided on Legend of Forlorn Realms. Anyhow, survival is still not really a problem even when LoFR has enemies with metals just short of cotton candy, and yet the routines at the moment is destroy sieges, clean up, and kill more sieges. Not too hard when defenses are set up correctly.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:12:06 am »

Alternatively, you could just make self imposed challenges(like building your whole fort into caverns, not create perfect trapzone which prevents goblins attacking you ever or not walling yourself in with renewable food), try to combat against demons or just wait until new release comes out.

If you don't want to not create perfect trapzone, then embark into places you haven't, like sites with aquifer or on glaciers or on beaches.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:18:53 am by MaskedMiner »

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:16:53 am »

Try embarking somewhere with no metals or none of some other resource you might hinge your fort upon. Try doing stuff you don't normally do or make forts in ways you wouldn't normally.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:34:52 am »

If you don't want to not create perfect trapzone, then embark into places you haven't, like sites with aquifer or on glaciers or on beaches.

I've never breached an aquifer before... guess I'll try this.

Yserbius

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Sahthet Ofobudzu, the Proboscis Lobster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 08:40:41 am »

How about you wall up the front gate and caverns, and try to keep everyone alive as long as possible?

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:13 am »

Check out the Cave Challenge. It should be on pg 2 or 1 of this forum section.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.