Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs won't build the single most vital wall in the fort  (Read 2328 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Dorfs won't build the single most vital wall in the fort
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:29:50 pm »

All labours enabled, there is pathing to it, as it is the corner piece of a wall blocking off the aquifer, reachable by standing on the stair tile. i know its reachable as i had a miner in there for some reason. the material is available, the mason is listed as no job and has the masonry labour enabled, clear pathing, nothing whatsoever blocking the site.. what gives?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs won't build the single most vital wall in the fort
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 01:34:40 pm »

Try removing the designation and building it again. Sometimes dwarves won't do what you want when you designate too many jobs and change skills around after you've designated the job.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 02:29:19 pm »

Do they have to path to that block diagonally or can they get to it horizontally/vertically, too?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 02:35:06 pm »

If they didn't have access the job would be canceled.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 03:02:02 pm »

If they didn't have access the job would be canceled.

Nope.
The job remains active but noone will do it,
exactly what zehive experiences.

I had, for example the case when I wanted to build a wall that separates a part of the cavrns.
Every part of the future wall was reachable, therefore the job was considered O.K.,
but when everything except for the last wall tile was completed,
work stopped and the last tile remained uncompleted.
Reason was, as I later found out, that (due to the wall tiles that were already built) there wasnīt a path to the building site anymore (as the only other possible place for the worker to stand, a tile directly in front of the future wall tile, was open space).
Only after I built a floor tile over said open space the work would get completed.

To illustrate my case ... it looked like this when I wasnīt able to complete it (with x being the missing wall tile, + being floor and . being open space)
Code: [Select]
===x===
+++.+++
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:11:49 pm by Proteus »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 03:41:17 pm »

Dwarves will only build a wall if they can stand immediately adjacent, on one of the tiles directly north, south, east, or west of the wall.  They cannot build a wall from a diagonally adjacent tile.  It doesn't matter if they can path to the wall to be build, they have to be able to stand in the right place.  Lack of a free adjacent space will not cause the job to be canceled, it will simple never get done.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

sekullbe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 10:59:33 pm »

Dwarves will only build a wall if they can stand immediately adjacent, on one of the tiles directly north, south, east, or west of the wall.  They cannot build a wall from a diagonally adjacent tile.  It doesn't matter if they can path to the wall to be build, they have to be able to stand in the right place.  Lack of a free adjacent space will not cause the job to be canceled, it will simple never get done.

I had that problem building a tall watchtower. If I designated all the walls for building at once, I'd end up with one or two corners forever suspended. I had to start constructing the corners first and then order up the rest of the walls.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 03:53:33 am »

Yes, a very vital thing when designing multy story buildings.
Another is, never to flank your cornerstones from both sides with fortifications,
else your cornerstone will be unreachable in the next story,
due to the fact that fortifications donīt act as floors for the story above

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 07:50:32 am »

Also there can be problem with this tile of wall being suspended for some reason like item blocking site, which was already removed but suspension is still active. Check this part of wall with Q and see if it is suspended. If it is not then see if there are any orthogonal tiles free adjacent to it. If you built a wall on the tile which leads to it from your side - then just disignate this tile for removal, unsuspend your corner tile and build it, and then complete the wall by rebuilding wall again.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 04:52:14 am »

Yes, a very vital thing when designing multy story buildings.
Another is, never to flank your cornerstones from both sides with fortifications,
else your cornerstone will be unreachable in the next story,
due to the fact that fortifications donīt act as floors for the story above

Build a wall, then carve fortifications.
I learned this recently, and it's a lifesaver!