Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 465696 times)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile

I have a Goblin (by now a Hammer Lord) from a siege who just won't be killed by my military...12 legendary soldiers and some marksdwarves standing around her, and they just don't do anything to her, I even told them explicitly to kill her, but nope. She keeps on trying to kill them - and managed so with some of the marksdwarves and yak cows/water buffalos around... Checking the combat logs, no-one even tries anything, she's the only one fighting anyone, killing my dwarves, passing out from over-exertion and continuing to fight afterwards...
All other members of the 100+ siege are dead.

What's wrong with that goblin, why're they not harming her!?
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile

I have a Goblin (by now a Hammer Lord) from a siege who just won't be killed by my military...12 legendary soldiers and some marksdwarves standing around her, and they just don't do anything to her, I even told them explicitly to kill her, but nope. She keeps on trying to kill them - and managed so with some of the marksdwarves and yak cows/water buffalos around... Checking the combat logs, no-one even tries anything, she's the only one fighting anyone, killing my dwarves, passing out from over-exertion and continuing to fight afterwards...

She is the Avatar of Armok!

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile

She is the Avatar of Armok!
Well, she died of a "sudden and complete loss of blood" ... afterwards I realized I could've utilized my traps against her, maybe ... but I'm not much of a fan of a game trolling me with enemies that aren't considered enemies.

One of the trolls I captured suddenly appearing in my workshop area (50 levels below where his cage resided) is enough trolling for me...He got there without being noticed before suddenly interrupting my metalsmith.
Are they able to get out of (wooden) cages!? Still have no idea how he got down there that fast, easily and unnoticed.

Probably should dump them down my "Newton's Law-Maker". My two vampires also enjoyed that. They never knew what they hit. Just a bit messy to clean up all the body parts afterwards...

EDIT: Thinking about it ... eh...
Do dwarves melt cages which have (hostile) creatures in them?! That miiiiiiight explain it... 8|
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:53:39 pm by SyrusLD »

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, you melted an occupied cage.

I recall some of the original !!science!! on this, involving a berserk dwarf and a copper cage.  The metalsmith survived, surprisingly.  I think the berserk dwarf had injuries too.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

As for how the troll got there without being noticed, did the troll have any levels in ambusher? Maybe it stealthed.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile

As for how the troll got there without being noticed, did the troll have any levels in ambusher? Maybe it stealthed.
Nah, I designated all items outside to be melted, "hoping" that none of the cages were made of metal, since I only build wooden cages and terrariums. Sadly I forgot that I bought some animals from caravans ... which were in metal cages.

By the way, I find it utterly disturbing that, while the siege was "decently easily fend off", with only a few animals lost and minor wounded soldiers, the clean-up is causing quite a chunk of my fortress to suffer such severe stress that I'm starting to worry. Had to disallow two dwarves from doing anything outside by now because they got into the yellow already...
Is there anything I can do to reduce the stress more quickly again? Every time they see the old corpses, they get horrified over and over again...

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

People with higher DISCIPLINE, i.e. trained soldiers I think, should be able to cope better.  Discipline doesn't actually make the stress any less, but it lets them higher handle levels.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Waterfall near the entrance? I always pull that up as a joker solution.

You could leave the bodies there to rot, if you have nothing to do outside. There's a danger of paranormal activity, but you can just make memorial slabs later on. And it helps in case you're attacked again.

I believe dwarves slowly get accustomed to horrifying sights, so you could keep trying, maybe you'll get an emotionless, broken army in the end. Or one dead by suicides. I'd consider both a win.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there anything I can do to reduce the stress more quickly again?
This seems to be the most recent question for this thread, although I have my doubts, I will just answer this one.

Stress in 40.x is a much different system than happiness in 34.11, it takes far more than just a royal bedroom + royal office + royal dining room to get them back to happy. This is because stress levels are not the only factor that decides if a dwarf will go mad, it is also if a dwarf has sustained these levels for a long time, or if they just received a major dip in their life (although seeing the refuse stockpile in a mature fort will cause the same thing, which from my view is a bug). So when a dwarf has been through petty annoyances for 10 years, they may just as well go insane as having your reanimated daughter eat your leg in 34.11.

How do dwarves who are 16 embark squares (I don't know how much tiles that are) away from the fort know exactly when to get in the fort when you raise the alert level, even if there's nothing really going on?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Zoo with one of every creature you can stuff in a cage in the dining hall, filled with a rainbow coalition of chair and table types.  You've got to hit a preference sometime!

For refuse, make a pit tied to an atom-smasher or just dump into magma reservoirs.  Bones are special, obviously, but you can always put those behind several doors/blind turns and have it a dead end or low traffic area to dissuade anyone not a bone carver from going in there.  Most dwarves don't care about a pile of turkey bones, anyway, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

How do dwarves who are 16 embark squares (I don't know how much tiles that are) away from the fort know exactly when to get in the fort when you raise the alert level, even if there's nothing really going on?
Simple, 768 tiles (16 embark tiles*48 tiles per embark tile) is the maximum range of dwarven telepathyArmok's Beard Hairs.

Why?

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Simple, 768 tiles (16 embark tiles*48 tiles per embark tile) is the maximum range of dwarven telepathyArmok's Beard Hairs.

Why?
Armok knows that if he were to let his beard grow longer, it would consume the world.

I've heard mugs are going to serve a purpose in the next update, explain this innovation in Dwarven science!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

Essentially, you dip the mug into the barrel, lick off the booze on the mug and then repeat until thirst is quenched.

What metal is the best material for mugs?

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Obviously any dwarf would be honored to give the elven diplomat a drink out of this very fine lead mug, encircled with almond wood and menacing with spikes of adamantine everywhere.

How well would the skull of an elf who died of lead poisoning serve as a mug?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile

Cinnabar mugs ftw.

Why are eagles terrorized by my cavy pups grazing on the surface? Sheesh.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 301