Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Madness  (Read 1003 times)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Military Madness
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:31:30 pm »

Right. I've always been able to make steel and the weapons and armour that they need but the stupid little  :) refused to put the stuff on. I've had other problems like this before when I tried to put two shaped pieces of armour on the same part of a dwarf but I fixed that by removing the conflicting piece from the uniform. But now, after years of faithful service to the fort, I decided to upgrade my first squad, The Copper Vipers (to whom I built a snake on my dining room floor and am working on a statue in my courtyard in the shape of a multi z-level viper eating a gob), to the Fortress Guard and my military commander to COTG. But as soon as I switched them over, they dropped all their masterwork steel armour and weapons and rushed inside to grab weaker copper and iron. And the armour they had was stolen by the other squads. Now, no matter what I've been trying, they insist that they're good with copper rather than my painstakingly made steel. There is no burrow restrictions (and their military), no conflicting miner/woodcutter sub-uniforms, but the uniform I've set restricts them to steel armour but they insist on wearing other materials. The armour is there. They just won't take it!
So my question is this: will they start from the bottom (copper, iron) and cycle through the armour until they get what they want or do I have to take more !!EXTREME!! measures?
Thanks in advance
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Madness
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:36:03 pm »

I find that letting them have an open choice and setting it uniform items simply to metal is a better option. They'll pick the best armor and upgrade their own armor automatically as more is produced. As for you problem id try setting it to just metal armor not specifically steel and see what happens.

In my current fortress ive done this and despite all the junk armor i used to train my smiths with they always go for the steel and the highest quality they can get.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:37:05 pm »

I find that letting them have an open choice and setting it uniform items simply to metal is a better option. They'll pick the best armor and upgrade their own armor automatically as more is produced. As for you problem id try setting it to just metal armor not specifically steel and see what happens.

In my current fortress ive done this and despite all the junk armor i used to train my smiths with they always go for the steel and the highest quality they can get.

Thanks.
I'll try a more general metal uniform

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 09:38:23 pm »

also, in the military screen, when assigning (e)quipment you can set the (P)riority of supply.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 09:59:40 pm »

also, in the military screen, when assigning (e)quipment you can set the (P)riority of supply.
Yeah, I think this was the problem. As the Copper Vipers the squad was first in line so they always got the best but because I only made the COTG squad recently they were somewhere at the bottom so they got all the rejected pieces. I just set them to number 1 and started making more steel armour and my COTG took the first masterwork steel mail shirt.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:27:14 pm »

Yeah, I think this was the problem. As the Copper Vipers the squad was first in line so they always got the best but because I only made the COTG squad recently they were somewhere at the bottom so they got all the rejected pieces. I just set them to number 1 and started making more steel armour and my COTG took the first masterwork steel mail shirt.

had the same thing crop up when i started converting my military to adamantium.  no fortress guard, i want you to use the copper junk, let the soldiers use the candy.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time