Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Homicidal humans!  (Read 2042 times)

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
Homicidal humans!
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:15:20 pm »

So I'm running an elf adventurer for a change, and I'm pretty fresh out the gate on this one.
I go pick up a follower and proceed to start killing animals to train my weapon skill up. I accidentally target my follower once, so, of course, I end up having to kill her.
I go back to town to sell her weapons, and go into the nearest shop. The shopkeeper tells me "Don't talk to me." and I'm like... "K. bye." and as I step out of the door way, all the humans start fighting. Some of them attack me, some of them attack each other. None of them are soldiers, and the one I killed had no family.
What. Just. Happened?

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homicidal humans!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 03:20:12 am »

When you attack someone, you instantly become enemy of the civilization the person you attacked belonged to. So yeah.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 04:17:37 am »

Best thing to do is to wait until nightfall and kill them in their sleep. Or flee from the town, the civ, into the wild, wild world of the northern jungles/plains/whatever.

Seriously though, you have angered that civ, but that doesn't mean the whole human race hates you. You should flee into another empire.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:38:22 pm »

That sounds like a loyalty cascade, though i'm still not quite sure how they happen. What i know is that people kill their own siblings with glee when it happens. Hypothesis:

Your companion is part of that civ, and is friendly to you, which by proxy makes you a part of that civ. After attacking her, she and the entire civ turned hostile, but since you're also part of that civ, they turn hostile to themselves, and mass murder ensues. This is merely guessing, though.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:51:13 pm »

That's exactly it. When someone attacks a member of a civ they are flagged as an enemy of the civ but aren't removed from it.
So when another member of the civ goes to attack them they themselves become an enemy of the civ, repeat until everyone is dead.
*Hugs*

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 09:31:40 pm »

That's exactly it. When someone attacks a member of a civ they are flagged as an enemy of the civ but aren't removed from it.
So when another member of the civ goes to attack them they themselves become an enemy of the civ, repeat until everyone is dead.

Which might be why tamed megabeasts in fortress mode still try to kill your dwarves. Those megabeasts are still flagged as an enemy of the civilization you're using and they're also members.

I might be wrong though.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:40:38 pm »

Named creatures are never tamed correctly.
*Hugs*

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 09:43:34 pm »

Which might be why tamed megabeasts in fortress mode still try to kill your dwarves. Those megabeasts are still flagged as an enemy of the civilization you're using and they're also members.

I might be wrong though.
i think this is the reason, yes.

also, fun fact:

if you kill a megabeast that is the enemy of a civ that is also the enemy of YOUR civ, the enemy civ becomes friendly.  you can recruit members from them.

example: i killed a roc that was the enemy of every civ on the continent.  even goblins were friendly for a time (though i quickly reflagged myself as an enemy).  i happened across a pair of bandits that were fighting.  i recruited one and killed the other.  going back into town of my homeciv, the bandit, being an enemy of my homeciv, started attacking civilians.  when they fought back, it seemed to flag my entire group as enemies of the civ.  so, me, and my companions, all members of this civ, became enemies of it.  had to go to the other side of the continent to not fight in towns.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:04:06 pm »

I might be wrong though.

also, fun fact:

if you kill a megabeast that is the enemy of a civ that is also the enemy of YOUR civ, the enemy civ becomes friendly.  you can recruit members from them.

example: i killed a roc that was the enemy of every civ on the continent.  even goblins were friendly for a time (though i quickly reflagged myself as an enemy).  i happened across a pair of bandits that were fighting.  i recruited one and killed the other.  going back into town of my homeciv, the bandit, being an enemy of my homeciv, started attacking civilians.  when they fought back, it seemed to flag my entire group as enemies of the civ.  so, me, and my companions, all members of this civ, became enemies of it.  had to go to the other side of the continent to not fight in towns.

You did slaughter and loot the entire town first though, right? RIGHT?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:51:58 pm »

I might be wrong though.

also, fun fact:

You did slaughter and loot the entire town first though, right? RIGHT?
of course.  they did attack me after all. i didnt loot them however.  i was decked out in steel, and really didnt need anything they had.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 05:23:02 am »

That sounds like a loyalty cascade, though i'm still not quite sure how they happen. What i know is that people kill their own siblings with glee when it happens. Hypothesis:

Your companion is part of that civ, and is friendly to you, which by proxy makes you a part of that civ. After attacking her, she and the entire civ turned hostile, but since you're also part of that civ, they turn hostile to themselves, and mass murder ensues. This is merely guessing, though.

Fact: This also happens in Fortress mode, try making a squad and hitting the dwarven merchants.  ;D

But now I'm curious, if you say that you had an enemy that now is your friend because you killed it's enemy, and that "friend" is an enemy of everything just like you; if you kill that "friend", do you drop your "hostile" tag on those who were enemies with you or do you become the most hated person in life as you even killed your past friend?  :)

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 04:45:42 pm »

That... is very good to know. Today, I learned something new.
So. If I took a human ally and travelled to another civ, and took an ally from the second civ (assigning me to both) would that also assign both my humans to both? Or would the first still be exempt from the second?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 04:49:14 pm »

Fact: This also happens in Fortress mode, try making a squad and hitting the dwarven merchants.  ;D

But now I'm curious, if you say that you had an enemy that now is your friend because you killed it's enemy, and that "friend" is an enemy of everything just like you; if you kill that "friend", do you drop your "hostile" tag on those who were enemies with you or do you become the most hated person in life as you even killed your past friend?  :)
you are just an enemy of that civ, and perhaps any civs they are friendly to.  as i said, i reflagged goblins.  i did have the chance to recruit one, but that felt wrong.  so i kiled him instead, and recruited a human bandit.