Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civil war in hell!  (Read 1418 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civil war in hell!
« on: July 20, 2011, 01:25:46 am »

Intended behavior?

Zombie demons (of all the normal demon types) are spawning in my hell.  Okay, cool, I thought.  Then I saw them fighting with the actual demons.  Hmm.

Actually killing a few of the real demons for me, too, and keeping the populations down in there, since the zombies are acting as the wildlife.

Somebody just punched a demon's head off.  I didn't realize that was possible.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
Re: Civil war in hell!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 01:51:25 am »

okay, this is impressive. i would expect them to team up and both attaclk you're fort but this is also good
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:56:15 am »

Did this appear when you opened hell? Or were combat reports coming regarding them, when you couldn't see them?

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 01:56:39 am »

Never had it happen. Could I cheat and get a save file by any chance? T'would be greatly appreciated.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 02:35:06 am »

Didn't notice any combat reports prior to opening hell.  Got hell walled off when I opened it.  A while after that I noticed the occasional report: The zombie tanager monster is fighting!  The tanager monster is fighting!

Happy to send a save to anybody, although it's a big file (uncompressed saves).  Where should I put it?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 02:55:19 am »

I'll message you my email adress. Or you can upload it to http://dffd.wimbli.com/ I hope that helps.
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 03:25:29 am »

Here we go then:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4701

Might have to wait a bit for some fresh zombie demons to enter, but there's a caged demon, so you could always pit him against the surface wildlife (largely zombie as well).  Feel free to play with levers, realizing that some combinations of them will almost certainly lead to the fort's destruction.

And forgive me the mess :)

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 03:38:58 am »

And with that, we have a new epic fortress. I tip my hat to you good sir.

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 06:12:32 am »

Whoa, Nil! What mods do you have? Or what add-ons?
Because my DF just went epileptic!
That, including flashing dwarves, flashing ghosts, flashing inexistent slopes, epileptic candy that doesn't know if it is candy or damp candy (¿?)
The rest of things (Including a infinibrook that kept being seen in zlevel +5) I think are caused by your low (20) FPS refresh cap.
But dude, the rest... I think that there was a candy wall that was two types of wall at the same time.
I can make some screencaps if you want, it's really weird!
Did we just made reality itself commit suicide?
I think that sentence describes all of Failcannon.

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 06:53:35 am »

i have the same on my embark, seems like all you need is an embark which streches over an evil biome. in my cellar there are clown remains and severed parts scattered over the ground, even a demon flame or something like that from a fire demon.
fyi: i play with a DFreveal-ed map

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 08:14:31 am »

So, if you embarks on an evil biome with a clown tent, then the zombies are made into wildlife, and valid targets for HFS?  Curios...

Also, according to lore, the zombies in the curious structure are protecting the sword, trying to keep any wayward adventurer (hauler with an order) from removing the sword.  The zombies are, in fact, holy protectors, who seek to keep the demons contained.  It's a shame they're so undead and easily smushed.

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 08:54:37 am »

yeah, you're right, i got a demon tent down there. but all rotten or zombie protectors above the entry died/wandered off/are not there anymore. but occasionally the demons appear and fight in the lower part of the tent

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 02:18:41 pm »

Whoa, Nil! What mods do you have? Or what add-ons?
Because my DF just went epileptic!
That, including flashing dwarves, flashing ghosts, flashing inexistent slopes, epileptic candy that doesn't know if it is candy or damp candy (¿?)
The rest of things (Including a infinibrook that kept being seen in zlevel +5) I think are caused by your low (20) FPS refresh cap.
But dude, the rest... I think that there was a candy wall that was two types of wall at the same time.
I can make some screencaps if you want, it's really weird!

Huh?  No mods, no add-ons.  Works fine for me, and I only get 30 fps on my computer with the map, at best; the 20 is just the draw cap.

Ohh, I know what it is.  It's the draw mode in the init.  It's on partial:1 or something, so there can be ghosting.  Of course you can just dump the save in your own df folder, work with your own draw settings.

So, if you embarks on an evil biome with a clown tent, then the zombies are made into wildlife, and valid targets for HFS?  Curios...

Also, according to lore, the zombies in the curious structure are protecting the sword, trying to keep any wayward adventurer (hauler with an order) from removing the sword.  The zombies are, in fact, holy protectors, who seek to keep the demons contained.  It's a shame they're so undead and easily smushed.

I know, I was excited when I embarked here and saw zombie elephants and rhinoceros, was totally afraid of them until the goblins showed up and showed me what push-overs the zombies are.  Now I just think of the surface zombies as my ambush early detection system.  Terrifying?  More like terrific!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 03:03:13 pm »

Terrifying?  More like terrific!
There's a difference in this game?