Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111365 times)

ExdeathV

• Bay Watcher
  • God damn boogeymen. Can't you just let me sleep.
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 09:58:20 pm »

I remember in D1 dropping all our gold in the first town.  I don't remember if it was because of the deaths or that we could only hold so much.  I do remember hating that I had to do that for some reason.
I remember you dropped gold because it was like you said, a holdable item not something you pick up and is just added to a counter. Like 10k was enough to waste probably about four slots in your inventory.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:59:59 pm by ExdeathV »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 10:01:23 pm »

Well in single player you could just leave everything in town.

There were VERY few things worth buying as all the best stuff could be gotten in the dungeon.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 10:03:53 pm »

The first two games weren't perfect, trying to pretend they are will just make you more disappointed when D3 isn't the game you remember. The first two aren't the games you remember either, for that matter.
*watches as the point sails right over Darkmere's head*
No, I get it. Something changed and is different, so it sucks. Complaining about something that isn't out yet is pointless.

Except that's not the point at all.

Something's changed and it's worse, so it sucks.

Why is this so difficult for the "internet cynics" to understand?

Because "worse" is an opinion, and the "internet cynics" disagree with your opinion. 
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 10:08:53 pm »

There is a major difference between: "They changed it so it sucks" and "they made the game worse"

MIND YOU there is more then one definition of "They changed it so it sucks" and here are two!
1) The change is negative however the product is still good... It is only those people who expect the same quality as the first who hate it
2) The change destroyed nostalgia and thus the people who expect it to be exactly like the first who hate it

I don't like to use "They changed it now it sucks" mostly because it is vague.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 10:15:49 am »

Bad news, everyone.

Quote from: Rock, Paper, Shotgun
  • The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline.
  • Mods are “expressly prohibited.” (This will be written into the TOS)
  • Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money.

Source: "Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Diablo 3: No mods, online-only, cash trades."
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 10:18:48 am »

I thought Starcraft 2 did something like this?

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 10:29:08 am »

I thought Starcraft 2 did something like this?

Starcraft 2 had an off-line mode, at least for the campaign (obviously no multiplayer without a net connection). Mods were also (relatively) encouraged, as far as I can recall. And there is no equivalent to an 'auction house'.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 10:48:03 am »

I suppose it's a little silly they technically don't allow offline singleplayer but I guess the way it works is kinda like borderlands, SP and MP chars are linked, and as in diablo 2, you could hack the shit out of your SP character, but not be able to make a battlenet char out of it. A little silly, but we'll see what happens, things like that usually change a bit because everyone has an outcry over it.

I'm fine with mods being prohibited in diablo 3, though I would like the ability to possibly mod the UI and such, but maybe you'll be able to do minimal things like that like with WoW, addons but not mods.

Also the auction house, isn't all real life money. They'res two seperate ones, one for ingame gold and one for real money, which you can make money from as well.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 11:21:39 am »

And for the sake of argument:

I need offline single player. Not only do I often travel to places without internet access, where I still need to kill some time and even now play Diablo 2 because it's nice bite-sized entertainment, but even at home the internet is flaky and often drops, sometimes for hours on end. It's, as far as I know, not an uncommon situation in my country, especially in smaller cities and towns. So... what do I do? Not buy the game? Or get better internet, possibly by starting my own god damned provider?

Mods are the only reason I am playing diablo 2 right now. I've been playing MedianXL, it's not perfect, but far, far better than the original Diablo 2 or LoD. I've heard the same about other mods, like Eastern Sun and what have you. Furthermore, Diablo 3 seems to be simplifying a lot of things for accessibility, but accessibility does not interest me personally (heaven's sake I'm posting in Dwarf Fortress's forum), and modding in some more advanced features (crafting in MedianXL, for example, or the uber-quests) would add to my positive experience.

Even without that, a great part of Blizzard games is the custom content, wow be damned. Come to think of it, a lot of the greatest or at least most popular content EVER has been mods. Counter Strike, that Mech Warrior crysis mod, even DOTA? Yeah.

The auction house... I'm not really sure. On one hand, it allows players to circumvent development and item acquirement, which is always stupid and should be discouraged. Microtransactions may be the future, but I don't have to like them, and even if I did, it'd be if they were trading convenience and visual diversification, not pure power. I read on the SA forums that because someone earned the item it's different... well, no, it's not. Does someone want to buy stuff to get powerful quicker? Yes. Will there be stuff regardless of the source? Yes. And don't delude yourselves, there will be plenty of the more powerful items, even with the cap on free transactions. Perhaps even more, because if you know you can only offer so many items per week, which ones will you offer? Will this give those players an advantage over someone who does not want to/cannot afford to buy items? Yes.

So what difference does the source of these items make?

One positive side of this is that Diablo 3 doesn't seem to be a pvp focused game, but I'm a petty person and knowing someone else has gotten something I'm proud of (an item drop, to be precise) for a few bucks which he can afford, because he doesn't live in a country where the average salary is 400 euros per month, makes me angry. See? Petty x] That's why I'm listing it as an advantage!

On the other, it's pretty interesting as a social experiment and something to observe from afar. I'm pretty certain this market will face some fascinating phenomena like bubbles, collapses and what have you. And since everyone in the games industry still has that wonderful "HEY GUYS BLIZZ RELEASED SOMETHING WHERE'S MY COPIER", we could be in for a lot of in-game real money trade in the future, thus setting an even larger experimental field.

And yeah, there are separate auction houses, but if you just got a really powerful item that you can't use, yet someone else would really like, where would you sell it? Sure, it depends on what uses gold has, but I think I can still guess quite accurately.

The really sad part? Even with all my whining, I'm likely to at least try the freaking game :(
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 11:32:55 am »

This is HANDS DOWN activi$ion (Kotick) influence. How sad, blizzard, one of the last companies that the user above anything else, is down to the level of ubisoft and similar.
One game I wont be buying. And to think I was expecting it for so many years :(

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 11:37:23 am »

This is HANDS DOWN activi$ion (Kotick) influence. How sad, blizzard, one of the last companies that the user above anything else, is down to the level of ubisoft and similar.
One game I wont be buying. And to think I was expecting it for so many years :(

Blizard isn't really blizzard anymore. Everyone who made Blizzard great and renown are gone.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 11:54:02 am »

I'll admit I sorta like the idea of having a seperate gold and microtransaction auction house. I also like the fact that we can change our character's gender, and the fact that it's not PVP based.

Other than that I don't really have any incentive to like this any longer. But who knows, it might be great regardless!

Also, I'm one of those ones whose internet goes out for like 30 seconds to a minute every 15-30 minutes. Sucks to be me if I try to play a purely online game like this.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2011, 12:00:52 pm »

Yeah really the only thing I see as an issue is the internet connection required. But everything else is really a minimal issue. Mods are indeed great and all, but I really just don't see the point of mods in diablo 3. They make sense now for diablo 2, because diablo 2 is like 9 years old now, and was quite bland on it's own, but I still only play it vanilla. I certainly don't feel the need to mod borderlands either.

Also yeah kotick is probably someone I would take a swing at in real life for being the destructive, greedy, shithead he is, but I wouldn't quite say it was his idea. It might have been, but it might not have been, and even further so, I'm pretty sure they would make changes if it failed horribly which it could very well do.

But as with everything, we'll just have to wait and see.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 12:06:15 pm »

the "real money" auction is also a problem

this practically makes the game into a "pay to win", like so many online games out there. Yeah, people will have the choice to sell their items for in-game money, but lets be real, who in the world will want to do that, when the other choice is real money.

So all the very top tier items, will be owned by the "I spend real money online" players, making this, yet another pay to win game

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2011, 12:14:34 pm »

the "real money" auction is also a problem

this practically makes the game into a "pay to win", like so many online games out there. Yeah, people will have the choice to sell their items for in-game money, but lets be real, who in the world will want to do that, when the other choice is real money.

So all the very top tier items, will be owned by the "I spend real money online" players, making this, yet another pay to win game

Eh, I doubt that actually, it could go either way. In APB there was a ingame/outofgame currency auction house, and while it wasn't money for money, it was like riot points for riot points. However it wasn't usually whores as much as you would think, and even though this meant you could play the game for free by making points of the AH, it was somewhat hard to sell stuff there, and again everyone and their mother didn't use it. Most people just stuck with the ingame because they needed ingame currency.

I also doubt the issue of all the top people being super uber geared in shit payed for by trust fund. Because if it's that hard for someone to find the item, its that hard for someone to buy the item. SOMEONE has to put it on sale, and chances are it will be somewhat expensive. Now sure there's those people who have no problem spending hundreds of dollars on one game every month, but really, thats a VERY small percentile of people in what is going to be a pretty damn large playerbase, and if you're not going to play PvP, then it really doesn't even matter to begin with, because who cares if someone has better gear then you in PvE. I certainly don't.

When it comes to PvP it might be a bit of an issue, but I'm not seeing gross overbalances until it actually happens.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 98