Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111367 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 07:18:51 pm »

Two things that might help

No, I can officially say that its connection to its predicessors is a large saving grace for the game.

If I COMPLETELY let go of Diablo 1 and 2 I would see that Diablo 3's sort of lack of style.

The thing is that I don't hold onto D1 and D2 because I want Diablo 3 to be like them. I hold them up as examples of how a successful game can be done as they are the closest things to it (as I havn't played the other diablo-esk games).

Diablo 2 was indeed WAY different then Diablo... but it paved its own way to success off of its own back.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 07:21:22 pm »

I really look forward to a Blizzard offering where the art team is totally new and isn't taking any direction from the WoW Handbook.

I wish they'd do something true to th'art style of the old warcraft (I & II) manuals, particularly the black and white stuff. That'd probably be pretty damn awesome, from a graphical standpoint.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »

Diablo 2 was indeed WAY different then Diablo... but it paved its own way to success off of its own back.
See, I don't get this. I played through (and beat) both games, and they are a little too alike. If Diablo 1 had a run function, I would be very disappointed at the lack of progress; particularly in the nearly identical graphic art style of the two games.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 09:25:13 pm »

My main hope for the game is that they kept the Archivist in as an easter egg.

The archivist was one of the first April Fools jokes they did for Diablo 3, he had book/library themed skills. He was awesome.

As for comparing D1 and D2, the main difference I remember is D2 removing the spells anyone with high enough magic can use, replacing them with the skill system. I liked my Fireball slinging warrior, but I think that it was for the better. Still, seems like a pretty small change to me.

And you'll have to explain the tactics of Succubi in D1, I played it when I was about 6, and was too scared to go beyond the 1st level of the Catacombs. Also the butcher scared the shit out of me.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 11:49:13 pm »

I agree, I really miss the finding of tomes. While D1 lacked as much super shiny loot AND abilities as D2, it made for good findables in addition to the treasure chests.

In D3 they're planning a bit more stuff to find and do than just treasure though. Sort of mini-events, mini-bosses, more quest-based stuff in dungeons ect....so hopefully they've expanded the kind of loot you find, without reducing it to tons of scrolls giving minor effects or something. Plus they're working with fixed outdoor set pieces that get shuffled around game to game...so I think there will definitely be more to do than in D2.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 01:52:08 am »

you'll have to explain the tactics of Succubi in D1

They shot at you from a distance and ran away. They were quite good at chipping away your health (and despite their attack being a Manastar, or bloodstar, they didn't have to sacrifice HP to use it) and it was sometimes difficult to give chase. Not to mention they were decently resiliant.

They arn't the most dangerous ranged attackers in the game (devourers with their acid puke could REALLY chip away at you) but they are certainly annoying.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 05:35:34 am »

you'll have to explain the tactics of Succubi in D1

They shot at you from a distance and ran away. They were quite good at chipping away your health (and despite their attack being a Manastar, or bloodstar, they didn't have to sacrifice HP to use it) and it was sometimes difficult to give chase. Not to mention they were decently resiliant.

They arn't the most dangerous ranged attackers in the game (devourers with their acid puke could REALLY chip away at you) but they are certainly annoying.

Not to mention, their bare breasts could distract the weak-willed :P.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 06:38:33 am »

One thing you have to remember about Diablo 3 is that everyone that made Diablo 1/2 has left Blizzard and started new companies. They have the design, but the game is going to be changed so massively it's not even funny.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 10:16:12 am »

D1: Limited gear choices, no running, mana shield + spam pots = god mode, every pub game swarmed by spammers/townkillers, corpse popping, no variety between different players of the same class.

D2: meaningless resource system, badly designed synergy system, hopeless search for runes you'll never get to make that stupidly OP runeword that everyone duped, thousands of baal runs led by a teleporting pally bot, bugged gloams, utterly pointless PVP/griefing, spammers. I could go on for a long, long time.

The first two games weren't perfect, trying to pretend they are will just make you more disappointed when D3 isn't the game you remember. The first two aren't the games you remember either, for that matter.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 11:52:55 am »

I remember in D1 dropping all our gold in the first town.  I don't remember if it was because of the deaths or that we could only hold so much.  I do remember hating that I had to do that for some reason.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 12:21:59 pm »

The first two games weren't perfect, trying to pretend they are will just make you more disappointed when D3 isn't the game you remember. The first two aren't the games you remember either, for that matter.

*watches as the point sails right over Darkmere's head*

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 12:32:47 pm »

I never really played the first two Diablos, but I think this one looks pretty cool.  I played the Demo for Diablo 1 and got up to partway through the desert in Diablo 2.  You all know how I feel about nostalgia goggles, so I won't reiterate.
Shoes...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 01:13:04 pm »

No, I get it. Something changed and is different, so it sucks. Complaining about something that isn't out yet is pointless.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 01:24:29 pm »

No, I get it. Something changed and is different, so it sucks. Complaining about something that isn't out yet is pointless.

Except that's not the point at all.

Something's changed and it's worse, so it sucks.

Why is this so difficult for the "internet cynics" to understand?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 07:27:53 pm »

It's all opinionated anyways. To make a point of an opinion, save for making the point that it is an opinion, is pointless.

Get the point?

This.

I wonder what people expect, all I hear are complaints but no ideas or suggestions, it sounds a lot like whining just to whine about something.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:34:58 pm by Darkmere »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 98