Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40411 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. Now with updates!
« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2011, 05:53:44 am »

they sent a ship to us? we must send a ghost ship to them.
How is thermal reduction going?
if we managed to reach 30% and research it, to make a new type of engine, we could send Spectre-class ship (name invented, though) with low tonnage, low heat signal, and maybe cloaking device, also?
and unarmed.
They should just...scout.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2011, 06:02:19 am »

That's longer term. Right now, we need to deal with the current situation so I can end the year.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2011, 06:37:07 am »

That's longer term. Right now, we need to deal with the current situation so I can end the year.

didn't we decide to shoot down anything coming too close to us?

how about sending a faster squadron of ships behind it to gun it down and leave a message?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2011, 06:47:25 am »

That's what you did. And you lost the contact. Which mean that they know where your listening post is, and will likely do something about it.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2011, 07:18:58 am »

That's what you did. And you lost the contact. Which mean that they know where your listening post is, and will likely do something about it.

so, whatever happened, that ship is stronger than the ships we already sent at them?
i believe militarization should be brought up as the next subject.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2011, 07:25:18 am »

No, it just went away from sensor range, and the Mesrin's sensors only cover a radius of ~2 m km, which isn't much in space.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2011, 03:53:45 pm »

A message from the Kaffirs!

"This is an ultimatum. Your listening post shall be removed from Vesta before the end of March, or it'll be cleansed in the Holy Fire. Any further incursion into the Asteroid Belt will be considered an act of aggression and punished with destruction of your puny homeworld. You don't want to go oasting in hell sooner than necessary, do you?"

Also, I decided to remove the message limits. Feelf ree tos end as many as you want.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. Message from the Infidels!
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2011, 05:09:42 pm »

i'm suggesting to send this message to the enemies:

"when our 20 tons warships will roll out of our hangars next january, you will see pain, the belt is ours, and we will keep it"

(which isn't true, but LYING and giving fake info's are part of war strategy)
what do you think?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2011, 08:30:06 pm »

i'm suggesting to send this message to the enemies:

"when our 20 tons warships will roll out of our hangars next january, you will see pain, the belt is ours, and we will keep it"

(which isn't true, but LYING and giving fake info's are part of war strategy)
what do you think?
Two problems:
1. Provoking them might make them try to put everything they have into a preemptive attack, which we would not be ready.
2. 20 ton is a very silly tonnage. The fighter engine alone weights 50 ton.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Daltesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2011, 11:49:02 pm »

I propose we send them a message written in complete gibberish to make them think that Sheb isn't giving accurate translations, and then send more ships into the asteroid belt.

Personally I'm for something along the lines of claiming the outer asteroid belt, and saying that anything else is just arrogant rhetoric that can't be substantiated by the force of arms their heretical government can bring to bear. And even if not, simply leaving the sensor station there with a Mersin in orbit would at least allow us to catch a glimpse of any forces they intend to attack with. A Mersin is fast and small enough that by the time it can get a sensor lock on the enemy, it can turn off its own sensors and be out of there before they have any hope of catching it. But while these stances are a more passive-aggressive tactical method, in the strategic sense I seriously doubt our nation would look fondly upon buckling to the demands of Mercurians. They're trying a show of force, so we should try a show of force. Though when I think about it, keeping our gunship capabilities hidden (if they aren't already exposed) might be a good idea, just to postpone how long it is before they start making antigunship weaponry.

I haven't said anything in the thread for a while so I figured I'd post something rambling and aggressive. Is it too early for me to resume talking about how awesome upgraded engines are?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2011, 02:25:28 am »

"when our 20 kiloton warships will roll out of our hangars next january, you will see pain, the belt is ours, and we will keep it"

I believe was the intended message. Not that I endorse it. I think we should offer to remove the DSTS in exchange for them "allowing us to send surveyor ships to the holy land"

So is anyone actually opposed to the plan of moving the DSTS to Ceres and leaving a wing of FACs in ambush 1.5 Mkm counter-spinward from Vesta?

Also, they seem to be able to detect us, so I think we should raise the estimation of their Sensor strength to 1250, and adjust our heat signatures (that is: speed) accordingly (we probably should have done this when Bremen pointed out how DSTS-es stack).

Finally, perhaps while we are removing the DSTS from Vespa, we could send an empty Freighter at full speed from Titan to Vespa and back (we're not using that second freighter, right?) in an attempt to throw them off our scent.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:27:35 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2011, 03:10:05 am »

i don't think they'd survey the empty freighter, but just come pop a "hello" with their own freighter with their own sensor tracking device. they land it, they see ours, they go "FUUUUUU-"

making them put everything in a preemptive attack would likely crunch them if they didn't prepare adequate resources. They'd have to build naval shipyard (if they have few) retool them for the class intended (which i suppose right now are only for survey ships and the like) and then have them built.
And we'd have a year to scare them off with Sensoring displays of strength. (you see that thousand heat signals? it's absolutely not a single ship moving all around like an idiot. It's our fleet with cloaking devices, and we are sending you a subtle message "we are many" by activating/deactivating their cloaking devices.)

but maybe that's a little impractible, because it would require actually time increments of really little time.
and yes, i was referring to kilotons. (tons, kilotons, HS, what it is!)

or we could simply wait with an armed ship for their own freighter to move by...to shoot it down.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2011, 03:28:23 am »

Well, I'm going to run the turn in an hour.

The understood strategy so far is:
-Move the DSTS to Ceres.
-Move the FACs 1.5m km from Vesta.
-Send an empty Freighter back to Titan at full speed, so they detect it.
-Wait for them to come if you've vacated Vesta and crush them.

What should I do with the Ashdod?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2011, 03:43:08 am »

-Move the DSTS to Ceres.
correct. Furthermore, move very slowly. (this is a stealth operation- expect a 1250-strong sensor on Mercury.)
-Move the FACs 1.5m km from Vesta.
correct
-Send an empty Freighter back to Titan at full speed, so they detect it.
No. Send a different (we have, like, 3) empty freight from Titan to Vesta at full speed. and back too.

-Wait for them to come if you've vacated Vesta and crush them.
Or at least see what the level of their military hardware is, yes.

What should I do with the Ashdod?
point 1: maintain low speed at all times. Expect sensor strength 1250 until July, then 1500.
point 2: move to a location near Ceres. not on top of Ceres. not away from Ceres (we don't need a second Vesta). Somewhere around 20-75 Mkm from Ceres. (asteroid 164 is about how far away I want Ashod. In fact, let's move it there for this first time)
point 3: after the encounter at Ceres is- move FACs to Ashod. if no one comes just leave them there until January, we'll deal with them in the new turn.
point 4: if we have to sortie FACS from the carrier, it should be moved. the rule for picking the destination are the same: 20-75 Mkm from Ceres. It doesn't have to be a celestial body, as those don't actually give any stealth benefits in this game (right?).
point 5: If the FACs are destroyed send the Ashod back to Titan. (and, I can't stress this enough, do it slowly)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 03:56:00 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2011, 04:02:34 am »

Fun Fact: Aurora doesn't let you display signature range for sensor over 1000. :p

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30