Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death of old age?  (Read 3103 times)

Skij

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Death of old age?
« on: July 16, 2011, 08:29:19 am »

Hey there peoples on the forum, I was recently wandering my way through a world on my way to explore an HFS'ed fort, when I was accosted by a human bandit leader and a couple of cronies. The leader showed up, announced himself and then promptly died of old age. I was just posting to see if this was a rare occurrence and if other adventurers had encountered this.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
Re: Death of old age?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:49:51 am »

While rare, it has happened.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:51:52 am »

Hey there peoples on the forum, I was recently wandering my way through a world on my way to explore an HFS'ed fort, when I was accosted by a human bandit leader and a couple of cronies. The leader showed up, announced himself and then promptly died of old age. I was just posting to see if this was a rare occurrence and if other adventurers had encountered this.

yep.  funnily enough, the bandit who croaked had just killed my last adventurer.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:59:33 am »

Somehow, even when people are about to die of old age, they are willing to do strenuous things like walk up stairs, ride to dwarven fortresses, and chop off steel-clad adventurers' heads with an axe the size of your dwarven adventurer's entire body.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Synthet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:21:54 am »

I have a harder understanding of how someone so old and weak is still the leader, or have the ability to stand.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 06:30:48 pm »

I have a harder understanding of how someone so old and weak is still the leader, or have the ability to stand.

to use pro wrestling examples, look at ric flair, or even better, mil mascaras.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 07:47:11 pm »

Simple. Noone ever challenged him to single combat. As to the not falling over, he probably gave himself a heart attack yelling at you to get off of his lawn. Or bragging about his kills. I suppose those aren't mutually exclusive.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 08:37:12 pm »

As horrible as that leader was... the people under him were worse.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 01:20:30 pm »

Simple. Noone ever challenged him to single combat. As to the not falling over, he probably gave himself a heart attack yelling at you to get off of his lawn. Or bragging about his kills. I suppose those aren't mutually exclusive.

I AM OLD OLDENOLD THE OLDER OLD OF OLDENING. I KILLED THE LAST MAN TO STEP ON MY GRASS. >:(

OH, WAIT, HEART ATTACK *ded*
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 08:15:37 pm »

The effects of aging on the physical body of a creature aren't simulated in DF, yet. Creatures stay at their adult peak physical condition until death. The leader probably died like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGFuHC75aY when his aging caught up with him.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 11:52:07 pm »

The effects of aging on the physical body of a creature aren't simulated in DF, yet. Creatures stay at their adult peak physical condition until death. The leader probably died like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGFuHC75aY when his aging caught up with him.

This gives me an idea, you could mod in another BODY_SIZE that, after 40, the creature 'shrinks' thus making them more frail and less potent in combat.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 08:01:14 pm »

Wait, does the player ever age?  I've never thought about that.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 08:50:08 pm »

Presumably, but I can't think how it could possibly ever be an issue.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 09:13:11 pm »

never had one survive one year, much less 20.

i suppose he will though.  start an adventurer, and look at the physical description.

retire it, and play a good 20 years in fortress mode.  unretire the adventurer, and check the description again.  if you see signs of aging (grey hairs and the like) odds are your adventurer has an expiration date.  unless you're an elf.  elves dont count.