Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 41

Author Topic: Screw the Next Player Over! A Succession Game  (Read 96804 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Screw the Next Player Over! A Succession Game
« Reply #225 on: August 01, 2011, 12:14:35 am »

Yeah, the most that can be expected from my flood trap is some mild wettening, as I made the pressure plate reset instead of being one use only. So the floodgates open and close repeatedly. Whoops
i disassembled all levers and pressure plates.. if something needs done I can damn sure assemble a lever myself for it..

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2011, 11:20:50 pm »

im sorry for the lack of updates, been extremely busy these last few days

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 03, 2011, 06:43:34 am »

This looks awesome. Could I please be put down for a turn?
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 03, 2011, 07:42:56 pm »

You should probably skip me too, I wanted to keep up but life is hell right now and knowing that I have to do the succession fort is adding to the stuff. Sorry :(

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 03, 2011, 09:16:28 pm »

Well, hopefully someone will be able to take this turn. Sorry to hear about that, zehive. andyman has been PM'ed.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 03, 2011, 09:18:03 pm »

Well, hopefully someone will be able to take this turn. Sorry to hear about that, zehive. andyman has been PM'ed.
i'd finish up, but i'm struggling with medicaid, im struggling with some IRL drama between friends, struggling with moving into college and paying for it all, struggling with parents.. its a mess. i was going to figure a complex way to release all the FBs into the fort too..

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2011, 01:10:36 am »

i was going to figure a complex way to release all the FBs into the fort too..

This is the dwarven way.

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2011, 08:07:58 am »

No, the dwarven way is to weaponise them and feed entire goblin armies and elf caravans to them.
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2011, 09:59:39 am »

If the next guy hasn't downloaded yet, I would like to request permission to fix my trap.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2011, 11:15:47 pm »

i'll be on vacation until august 5th. if my turn comes up before then, skip me and put me on the end of the list.

ahem...

i got back from vacation last night, going to be busy unpacking tomorrow. may get a chance to start by Saturday.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2011, 02:19:24 pm »

downloading the save now, i'll probably put something up by tonight.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 06, 2011, 11:34:41 pm »

The untimely death of Demonic Spoon we are without a leader. keeping with the finest of dwarven traditions, we all put our names in a cap and some random shluck will pick one out to decide our new leader. the crowd is silent as the name is drawn.

"AND THE NEXT OVERSEER OF TOUCHEDBELLS IS.....KOMRA DORENSOLON"

Huzzah for Komra! our new overseer! shouts of "long live Komra" and "Thank Armok it wasn't me!" rang out accross the dining hall as everyone started clebrating, and it took a minute for what the announcer said to sink in.

Komra Dorensolon....Komra Dorensolon....that's me....fuck.

1st Granite

well this is my first offical day as overseer, and i've been instructed by ImBocaire, the only pervious overseer still alive in this place, to keep a log of my events here. well i've been buried in my work since i've arrived here so let's see what i have to work with.

No sooner had i stepped out of my bedroom when a paniced meatalworker rushed up to me screaming "THE VOLCANO'S DRAINING!" i told him to show me, and we wound up in a veiwing area carved into the side of the magma pipe. looking down i could see that the level of lava was dropping rapidly, but where could it possibly be going?

my thoughts turned at once to the death traps set by previous overseers and feared that the fortress might be slowly filling with the blood of Armok. i rushed trough each level of the fortress proper, thankfully none showed any signs of a magma breach. though this comes as a double edged sword, since our magma forges are now 6 levels (and counting) above the surface of the magma and we have no idea how far down the tube breach is, or even where it's draining to.

i've dispated scouts in the mines to see if the magma is rising up from below us.

2nd Granite

now that i am assured that even the lowest of our mines is free of magma i can concentrate on the rest of the fortress. i went to our bookkeeper and looked over the records.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it appears that we're overflowing with food and drink, and have yet to organize even a basic milita, relying solely on a starving war bear and a couple traps for defence.

i've told the cooks and farmers to tkae a well deserved break and marked the area of the future barracks ot be excavated. As i strolled through the storage rooms i was astounded at the sheer amount of glass pipes, corkscrews, hatches and blocks that had been constructed, their intended purpose probably died along with one of the previous overseers, i'm still unsure of what to do with them all.

there are many unlabled levers around, i've ordered them all to remain untouched, who knows what disaster we might bring upon ourselves. there is also a large network of tunnels with shafts leading to the surface, each shaft is topped with a hatch... i wonder what these could be used for...

6th Granite

By Armoks blood soaked beard! the workforce is a complete disaster! we only have 2 miners in the entire fort and we're overflowing with crafters and farmers!

after interviewing every dwarf to see what they're good at, i've taken it upon myself to reorganize the labor pool... may Armok have mercy on me.

8th Granite

urhg... my head is pounding and my wrist is aching but the labor force is organized! and we even have enough dwarves left to form a small militia!

i'm having the newly formed squad the "Problematic Portals" train constantly in the new barracks. our chief mechanic... well our only mechanic, came to me today and told me things about a "danger room" and how if it was constructed, our militia would be battle worthy by the end of the year! the only stumbling block is that it requires training spears, which would use all of our remaining wood supply and then some. until we get a caravan with wood, or the Tigermen leave, it'll have to wait.

28th Granite

the fortress is running smoothly, not much to report. the Tigermen are still camped at the top of the mountain, they sure are a stubborn lot.

11th Slate

i awoke this morning to cries of "FLOOD!" i leaped out of bed, and dashed towards the commotion, several floodgates in the stockpile area have opened! Water is rushing in from everywhere! we're doomed! and just as suddenly as it started, it stopped. the floodgates slammed shut and we were left with several large puddles on the floor. i've ordered the masons to wall off the floodgates before they open again. and mark my words journal, i may not know who set this up, but i know of a way to make sure they are repaid in full.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 07, 2011, 10:11:24 pm »

20th Slate

The floodgates have opened twice more since i ordered them sealed, if i could find the trigger i would destroy it, but i don't even know where to start looking for it.

24th Slate

all the containment walls are complete, operation "REVENGE" is well underway. and it seems that my earlier observations about the magma pipe were incorrect and it is indeed filling faster than it is draining. we should have magma at our forges by the end of summer.

5th Felsite

Construction of operation REVENGE is 75% complete. i've had the miners excavate a shorter route to the dining area and have marked out plans for my private suite, which resides next to the Kennels. I let Aban Anamdodok, my fiancee, design our burial chamber. she says that i can't look untill it's completed. i'm sure she'll do a good job.

13 Felsite

Lookouts on the wind farm have informed me that Frogmen have come to reinforce the Tigermen! well fuckberries, it looks like we won't be leaving our hole anytime soon...

the mayor came to me today in a rage, she was furious about the state of her quarters, or lack of... i've marked a small area to be cleared and furnished to the mayor's likings, after i get my suite of course.

i've also ordered the metalsmiths make some real weapons, and the crafters to make some bone armor for our militia, i know the armor isn't great, but it's better than nothing.

20th Felsite

Urgh, i'm fed up with these stupid frogmen! time to fiddle with a few levers... may armok help us. hmmm, many of these levers don't seem to be connected to anything at all... Finally! a lever that dose something! i listened to the grating of the mechanisms and when one of the militia came running to me with news of the drawbridge lowering i thanked armok silently for guiding my hand.

22nd Felsite

another runner from the militia came to me today and told me that our junior mechanic has gone outside! they said he was talking about finishing some long overdue linkage. i ran up to the wind farms as fast as my legs would carry me, and i watched everything unfold.

then mechanic ran wildly, and trapped herself above the entrance, one of the frogmen caught up to her and stabbed her twice with a spear before it became stuck in her gut! the mechanic howled in pain and vomited as the frogman knocked her to the ground and started biting, punching and kicking the poor mechanic until the spear came loose. the junior mechanic, lay broken and bleeding on the ground, eying her adversary with a mixed look of fear and hatred, she issued a low growl and spat in the frogman's face, seconds before the copper spear was sent through her skull.

i've ordered everyone else to stay inside, and let them face the might of our starving war bear!

23rd Felsite

we heard the dying roars of our starving war bear, if they can so easily down such a ferocious beast, then what hope dose our militia possibly stand against them? i've had the outer door of the barracks locked and the drawbridge raised, i underestimated our enemies, and have paid the price.

25th Felsite

it turns out that our weapon trap has killed two to the frogmen, we salvaged their spears and shields for our militia. i've commissioned 11 more weapons traps constructed, each filled with serrated glass disks. when we reopen our gates, the frogmen won't know what hit them.

26th Felsite

One of the fort's children has been inspired by recent events and has taken a craftsdwarves workshop! no soon did he take the workshop did he start working furiously on his great creation.. i just hope he makes something useful.

1st Hematite

the summer heat is beginning to set in, i've told the lookouts to drink plenty of booze and to take shorter shifts.

The starving war bear has been replaced by a Starving Cougar.

3rd Hematitie

Our child prodigy has emerged from the workshop raising a gleaming white object for all to see

hmm, not very impressive, but i'm sure one of the militia will find a use for it.

10th Hematite

with our meager wood supplies exhausted i've allowed the woodcutters to clear cut a small portion of the caverns.

22nd Hematite

due to excessive complaints about getting toes squished, the hallway leading to the barracks has been widened, and a temporary access tunnel has been dug to speed the weapon trap construction.

12 Malachite

our militia is now armed and armored with the finest iron equipment we can produce! at least they now have a slim chance of beating the frog men if they get through our traps.

20th Malachite

all the weapon traps are operational! i'm having the masons reseal the access tunnel and open the gates! Victory is in our grasp!

22st Malachite

The gate was opened today, and from my vantage point i watched as the foolish creatures charged headlong towards their doom. their leader was up front riding a war tiger, she entered the hall, and never came back out. the rest of the group lost all faith in the attack after witnessing their leader getting dismembered and fled. Victory... but i was hoping for a few more frogmen bodies to show for it.

26th Malachite

Migrants! as soon as the word reached the common area ImBocaire told me that it is my duty as overseer to greet each of them and assign them labors. fuckberries, more paperwork...

seven, seven more mouths to feed. the only notable one in the group was a surgeon who also had considerable military experience, i'm torn as to where to put her.

well they may be mostly useless, but at least the Problematic Portals has a full compliment of recruits now.

the miners have also dug a staircase up to the plateau above our entrance and have secured all the staircases with hatches. i'll let someone else figure out what to do with it, i've been away from my gems for far too long.

5th Galena

HUZZAH! THREE CHEERS FOR THE SCOUTS! the tunnel scouts have identified where the magma is draining from, we're digging a water channel to it's location, with hopes of sealing it with an obsidian plug.

7th Galena

THEM DAMN DIRTY APES! some monkeys stormed the entrance today, to be promptly cut into tiny chunks by our traps

15th Galena

The Beak Wolves are back! All civilians stay inside! the lookouts said that they came from over the mountain, and that they brought their war leader with them!

then there came more cries "BEAK WOLVES TO THE WEST" "MORE TO THE SOUTH" "ANOTHER GROUP SPOTTED ON THE MOUNTAIN!" the lookouts counted five squads of the fouls beasts approaching. i think it's time the militia had some live training.

17th Galena

A THOUSAND CURSES! the greater badgermen have come to aid the beak dogs with their attack! at least there's only a single squad, and by the report's i'm getting, they are rather poorly equipped. the militia may still be able to handle this, though i  think i'll tell them to let the traps take care of a few first.

18th Galena

BY ARMOKS BLOODY BEARD! WHAT THE FUCK!? a three squads of Tigerman Calvary has joined the assault. and they've brought war Leopards! the militia will be hard pressed to hold back this many foes.

20 Galena

The beak wolves and war leopards have jammed most of out traps, i've ordered the entrance bridge to be raised and lowered repeatedly.

21st Galena

It's working! every time the bridge lowers i can hear screams and a crunchy splatting sound. there's a few less for the boys in iron to worry about!

i've just gotten word from the lookouts that the badgermen are setting camp and refuse to advance. looks like we're going to have to go to them.

25th Galena

The bridge was stopped and the militia charged out to meet the remaining Tigermen, Beak Wolves, and Greater Badgermen. they've got a tough fight ahead of them.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 08, 2011, 01:33:54 am »

Yeah, the flaw in my flood trap has been exposed very nicely. Shame about that. If only I hadn't put it on reset it'd have been moderately annoying.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 08, 2011, 03:06:37 pm »

just out of curiosity, where DID you put that damned pressure plate? i've done a pretty thorough search and still haven't found it   ::) 
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 41