Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Vegetarian Recipe Thread  (Read 5564 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetarian Recipe Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2011, 09:33:34 am »

Also some general non-recipe advice for absolutely everyone who eats stuff (absolutely everyone) possibly get one of these bad boys.
Probably doesn't turn you into a communist. It's basically a little electric oven/saucpan/whatever, and it's a pretty
efficient little beast, We bought one for my nan a few years ago and she loves it. As far as I know there are a bunch of different sizes.

...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 12:14:22 pm »

I will be making borsch and eggplant curry today, so I guess I'll probably put up some rough recipes later.

Unfortunately, I am not a person who measures with anything but my nose, hands, and eyes, so hopefully y'all can follow vague explanations like "stop when it smells good" :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2011, 12:41:03 pm »

Unfortunately, I am not a person who measures with anything but my nose, hands, and eyes, so hopefully y'all can follow vague explanations like "stop when it smells good" :3
o_O

I incorrectly expected your recipes to carry with them terrifying levels of precision. Like, "Combine 254.8 grams of tomato sauce (containing water in a percentage to total volume between the values of 4.7 and 9.1 percent) with a potato having longitudinal dimensions within 1 standard deviation of 15cm. Apply even heat distribution at 600 Kelvin for exactly 25 minutes."
 :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2011, 06:00:53 pm »

Ooh yummy. I like this thread.

Not a vegetarian oneself, but always appreciate a good meat-free meal.

My offerings to this thread would be baked beans, and a mushroom lasagne.

Baked beans is simple enough. Fry a thinly chopped onion on a low heat for 10 minutes, making it nice and soft. For bonus flavour and bulk why not also add a couple of finely diced carrots and celery sticks in with the onion. During this whole sweat down, chuck in some garlic, crack in some pepper and maybe add chilli flakes. Possibly worcestershire sauce, or you could wait till later. Chuck in a tin of chopped tomatoes, bring up to heat. Chuck in a tin of beans. Flagellot, borlotti, canellini, butter would work. Heat it back up again, then flavour. Consider red wine, salt, sugar if your tomatoes are cheap or not sweet enough. Maybe the worcestershire sauce now, and some herbs - oregano maybe. Bouillon stock as well, but not too much depending on what the main vegetable base tastes like. Basically keep tasting and seasoning, until you think it's nice. After all this faffing about with little bottles of things, it will likely be cooked enough. Serve on nice thick crusty toast. Yum.

I can't remember the lasagne recipe, but it's basically layers of tasty reduced mushrooms (use a mix of types, wild and normal, total uncooked weight approx. 750g) with some kind of creme fraiche / stock based addition to make a creamy sauce, and then you also crumble a nice cheese in with the pasta layers. I have used cheshire, and that works ok. Top with normal bechamel, then bake. It tastes bloody great, anyway.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2011, 06:03:54 pm »

I incorrectly expected your recipes to carry with them terrifying levels of precision. Like, "Combine 254.8 grams of tomato sauce (containing water in a percentage to total volume between the values of 4.7 and 9.1 percent) with a potato having longitudinal dimensions within 1 standard deviation of 15cm. Apply even heat distribution at 600 Kelvin for exactly 25 minutes."
 :P

I would've done that, but the people who taught me to cook refused to give me specific directions like that, even when I asked for them--so now I don't measure anything.  Ever.  It's all their fault ;_;
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2011, 01:08:28 am »

so now I don't measure anything.  Ever. 
Never, ever bake without getting it near precise. Some recipes are more forgiving but....

Liquid brownies are not good. QQ
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2011, 09:46:06 am »

That's a damn lie. Apply a spoon.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2011, 09:50:32 am »

And possibly ice cream.

Accidentally making alfredo soup? Not so good. (I am for measurements.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2011, 10:12:05 am »

Baked beans is simple enough. Fry a thinly chopped onion on a low heat for 10 minutes, making it nice and soft. For bonus flavour and bulk why not also add a couple of finely diced carrots and celery sticks in with the onion. During this whole sweat down, chuck in some garlic, crack in some pepper and maybe add chilli flakes. Possibly worcestershire sauce, or you could wait till later. Chuck in a tin of chopped tomatoes, bring up to heat. Chuck in a tin of beans. Flagellot, borlotti, canellini, butter would work. Heat it back up again, then flavour. Consider red wine, salt, sugar if your tomatoes are cheap or not sweet enough. Maybe the worcestershire sauce now, and some herbs - oregano maybe. Bouillon stock as well, but not too much depending on what the main vegetable base tastes like. Basically keep tasting and seasoning, until you think it's nice. After all this faffing about with little bottles of things, it will likely be cooked enough. Serve on nice thick crusty toast. Yum.

Om nom nom. That sounds good.

I get away with eyeballing measurements on some things, but I've learned to cook rice in precise ratios of water to dry rice. And I still can't get my rice to come out right.  :'( But at least it's edible as opposed to being crunchy or reduced to a giant glob of rice pudding.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2011, 10:37:13 am »

You can use excess water and then apply a colander, as if it were pasta.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2011, 10:45:21 am »

Rice is easy.

If you have an electric cooker then just fill it to the line. :)

Stovetop method, for white rice a good "rule of thumb" (ha ha) is to put the tip of your pointer finger on top of the rice and cover with water to your first knuckle.

Bring the water just to a boil, then turn the heat down very low, and don't lift the lid! Let it sit for 10 minutes or so after cooking.

If the rice is undercooked you can add more water and keep cooking until it is done.

Another tip for certain kinds of rice (especially basmati) is to pre-soak it prior to cooking.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2011, 10:51:38 am »

As an unimaginative Vegeterian, I thanks you for this thread Vector. I'd be hugging you know I didn't learn that you are uncomfartable with it so my ebst thanks!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2011, 10:54:12 am »

Yeah, we do a lot of jasmine, basmati, glutinous, and Calrose rice. Most of them involve pre-washing and take various ratios of water to cook. Usually I wind up overcooking it just a bit, so that it's clumpy and slightly gooey instead of nice and fluffy.  :-\

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2011, 11:28:06 am »

Yeah, we do a lot of jasmine, basmati, glutinous, and Calrose rice. Most of them involve pre-washing and take various ratios of water to cook. Usually I wind up overcooking it just a bit, so that it's clumpy and slightly gooey instead of nice and fluffy.  :-\

For that type of rice I typically use a ratio of 1.25 water to 1.0 rice.
Whether or not to wash depends on the type rice, if it is fortified then you are washing the vitamins down the drain. :(

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2011, 02:15:10 pm »

Doesn't work like that. You   don't know when they're done. Half-cooked liquid brownies is NOT something you want to eat, and if you cook them until they're solid, you get dried out, burnt brownies. Baking is a very exact art, with not a lot of room for changes. The liquids especially. If it tells you to put in 5 cups of milk, then son of a gun, you'd better put exactly 5 cups, and not 4 cups 7 ounces.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6