Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Vegetarian Recipe Thread  (Read 5585 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetarian Recipe Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 08:04:00 am »

Eggs are dairy in that they're an animal product that can be extracted without shedding blood, which is one of the definitions.

Never heard that definition, I've always considered dairy to mean only milk and products processed from milk. Wikipedia seems to think so too. Besides, "dairy" in itself is a milk processing plant.

EDIT: No mention of your definition in Merriam-Webster either. So no, I don't think "dairy" includes eggs at all, only milk products.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:06:57 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 08:08:03 am »

I rather like the idea of dairy eggs. The problem is figuring out if they're bovine eggs, or eggs from a milkable chicken. And whether you would actually want to drink chicken milk.  :P

Sweet corn is in season, so one of the easiest and tastiest recipes out there is plain old corn-on-the-cob. I've eaten half a dozen ears at one sitting before.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 08:37:50 am »

I've been a vegetarian (will eat eggs, milk, and honey) for the past 3 years or so and am interested in this thread. Always lacked variety, and it's annoying looking through the house for something, anything different to eat.

Unfortunately I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute, as I'm not much of a chef.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 09:30:08 am »

Yeah, I think the dairy eggs is more a popular misconception than a definition, but honestly, that's how definitions start off.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 09:33:18 am »

1.Get miscellaneous edible plants.
2.Chuck in massive pot.
3.Put some herbs in.
4.Cook it up.
5.???
6. Dinner
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 09:45:23 am »

Sorry for my error then, everyone >_<  I suspect I picked that one up from my mum.

Seriously? Somebody trolled a RECIPE thread?  :(

Yes.  This would be why there was the big fat warning in bold letters in the OP.  Because I've had a similar thread before and spent so much time being trolled that there was probably two cups of trolling for every cup of recipes, and that's just not going to hold together when you pop it in the oven.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 10:27:02 am »

Sorry for my error then, everyone >_<  I suspect I picked that one up from my mum.

Seriously? Somebody trolled a RECIPE thread?  :(

Yes.  This would be why there was the big fat warning in bold letters in the OP.  Because I've had a similar thread before and spent so much time being trolled that there was probably two cups of trolling for every cup of recipes, and that's just not going to hold together when you pop it in the oven.

Ahh. So something along the lines of "Veggie munchers iz stupid! MEAT rulez 4ever". Lame. (And this is coming from someone who used to consider themselves a bonafide carnivore).

A favorite Thanksgiving side of mine is my father-in-law's Bourbon Mashed Sweet Potatoes. I don't know the exact recipe he uses, but this should be pretty close:

1 pound sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup light or heavy cream; room temperature
1/4 cup good-quality bourbon
salt and pepper
1/2 cup of pecans

Prick sweet potatoes several times with a fork and roast at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until tender.

As soon as you are able, using a potholder or kitchen towel, peel potatoes and add to work bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add butter, sugar, cream, pecans and bourbon. Process to incorporate everything. Season to taste.

All the ingredient quantities can be varied somewhat to suit your individual taste. Make sure the bourbon isn't the cheap stuff. It'll taste burnt if you use bad bourbon. Also, it's even better if you make it a day or so beforehand and then heat it back up before serving. The extra time really helps mellow out the flavor and helps make sure the bourbon is diffused through the whole thing.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 10:53:59 am »

Well, eggs are typically sold in the Dairy department (at least at most supermarkets here in the northeastern united states) so I can see why someone would lump them in that category.

Anyway, today we're going to talk about tofu. It gets a bad reputation but actually it can be quite delicious.

Most people who are grossed out by tofu it's one of two reasons:

1. The texture. Silk/soft tofu is a little weird, I recommend firm/extra firm.
2. The neat, symmetrical cubes. Try tearing it into rough chunks with your hands, this will give it a more natural shape and more surface area to absorb sauce.

Tofu holds a lot of water so the first step is to get rid of some of this water so it can absorb flavor. I find a toaster oven is the perfect tool for this. I have a little baking dish that fits my toaster oven perfectly. 20 minutes at 425 degrees (flip once) and it's dry and ready to prepare.

I cut up (or tear) the tofu and toss it with a little vegetable oil and soy sauce (or any other seasoning--curry powder, five-spice powder, sesame oil, miso, etc.) then return it to the toaster oven and bake until it's browning and crispy. Yum!

The baked tofu can be eaten as-is or added to a vegetable stir fry. Stir-fried tofu by itself can be tricky to make well, but baked-then-stir-fried is easy and delicious! :)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 11:35:07 am »

Tofu is awesome. Although, my first exposure to it nearly swore me off it. It was in college, and the cafeteria served it as a salad topping...just small cubes of firm tofu with no flavor that sat out in an open-air container all day. They looked and tasted like (and could actually function as) pencil erasers.

A few years later I had stir-fried tofu with a Thai peanut-carrot sauce and all was forgiven. My ultimate favorite Chinese dish is mapo doufu, which is tofu stewed in a spicy chili and black bean sauce with minced pork. When it's done right, it's one of the most delicious things you'll ever put in your mouth, as well as peeling your lips off. If it's truly authentic, it'll have Sichuan peppercorn in it, which has a lemony taste almost like a caper and which also makes your lips tingle and go numb, kinda like the feeling of a leg that's gone to sleep. This has the odd effect of simultaneously making it easier to bear the heat, and opening up the pores and neuroreceptors in your tongue so that your sense of taste is heightened. It's an indescribably good experience.

It can be made vegetarian by substituting the pork with something like soy protein crumbles, ground up tofu, etc.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 01:10:00 pm »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 01:46:48 pm »

Here is a recipe that I've been planning to make eventually. http://www.food.com/recipe/uncle-bills-fried-potatoes-and-onions-158832

I also have been wanting to try this one. http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/168/Pecan-Coffee-Cake

I would probably have made them by now if people wouldn't bother me in the kitchen when I try to cook. =_= I need my own kitchen...
My personality profile.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2011, 11:03:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've updated the chili recipe to what I actually did, and goddamn is this delicious. I might add more cranberries, but this is just... wonderful. 10 minutes later, my nose is still a little runny, too, and I didn't even have to add the dried red peppers. That was a good habanero. And I still can't believe how healthy this stuff is (the entire pot has around 18-20 grams of fat, besides being high protein and full of vegetables, which means that even eating the whole damn thing would leave me with 70% of a daily recommended fat intake for a 2000 calorie diet, and I eat a 3000).

So yeah, turns out a low-fat, vegan chili isn't too difficult to make delicious.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2011, 01:14:10 am »

(Inflammatory remarks removed)

Black Beans and Brown Rice
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
2 cups vegetable broth
3 1/2 cups cooked black beans (about 2 cans), drained
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
salt, to taste
1-2 avocados, chopped
1 tomato, diced

Directions:

1. Heat oil in a medium sized pan on medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
2. Add rice and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil then cover and cook on low for 45 minutes.
3. When rice is done, add the black beans, cumin, cayenne, cilantro, and salt and heat until beans are warm. Serve with avocado and tomato as a garnish.

Makes: about 5 servings, Preparation time: 10 min, Cooking time: 45 min
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:52:15 am by Toady One »
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2011, 03:39:11 am »

Slow down now y'all. You mean to tell me you can cook without meat? This is a new thing for me. I've only got one non-meat 'recipe'. My grandma taught me this, and it makes beans more sweet. You basically just eyeball in a bit of mustard, brown sugar, and ketchup, aiming to get a 1:2:3 ratio of those ingredients.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2011, 08:22:32 am »

Cranberries in chili, huh... I will have to give that one a try! Thanks for the recipe. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6