Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Vegetarian Recipe Thread  (Read 5569 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vegetarian Recipe Thread
« on: July 11, 2011, 01:36:37 am »

Sooo, on the request of MaximumZero, here is a new thread to talk about... vegetarian recipes.

Strangely specific, I guess, but whyever the hell not?

I will be back tomorrow morning or so to provide definitions, rules, and so on, and probably a recipe of my own, so don't go ballistic in here about poorly defined OPs.  Just post cool veggie stuff, ask questions about how to stuff works with the vegetarian diet, whatever.

However, I do have something for the rules section:

It is not permitted in this thread to challenge the validity of vegetarianism or critique its adherents.  If you want to do that, go get a different thread.  This includes just showing up to say "I don't believe in vegetarianism;" it's still a derail, and one I am very, very tired of.  Yeah, I know I like arguing pretty much everywhere else, but fuck, I don't really wanna argue in a recipe thread.

To be completely clear, anyone who persists after having this rule politely pointed to them will be reported for trolling.  This does not include people who go "okay, fuck, how do I get protein/iron/whatever?"  You are okay.  I am talking about the people who come by sometimes and spend approximately a billion years shooting their mouths off about how it is UNNATURAL and we SHOULDN'T DO IT cuz TEETH or summat.

How many damn monkeys do you think there are using the net, anyway?

Thank you, and have a pleasant timestamp.

There's clearly something wrong when the one rule is longer than the rest of the OP, but whatever.

This isn't about me.

This is about food.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetarian Recipe Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 01:41:14 am »

Strangely specific indeed. The wife is going veggie due to her seeming overproduction of estrogen preventing us from having kid2. I, meat eater incarnate, have next to no knowledge on vegetarian food. I know how to make three bean soup, house salads, and carrot sticks. That's about it.

So, bay12, I beseech you...fill my head with veggie goodness.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:46:56 am »

There a simple Jamie Oliver recipe for mexican bean wraps that I'm making pretty regularly at present.

Ingredients.
• vegetable oil or olive oil
• 1 onion, peeled and sliced
• 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
• a pinch of chilli powder
• 1 teaspoon tomato puree
• 480g tinned red kidney beans, drained and washed
• 150g tinned tomatoes
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• ½ green pepper, sliced
• ½ red pepper, sliced
• 5 large flour tortillas
• 150g cheese, grated

Instructions.
In a little oil, gently fry the onion for 10 minutes. Then add the garlic and chilli powder. Add the tomato puree, the drained kidney beans and the tins of tomatoes with their juice. Cook for 10 minutes until the juice has reduced then add salt to taste. This is your filling.

In a separate saucepan, fry the peppers in a little oil and set aside. Divide the filling mixture in half then blitz one half, using a hand blender, to form the bean paste.
Add the peppers to the other half of the filling.

Spread the tortillas with the warm bean paste. Then add a serving spoon of the filling and sprinkle with cheese (remember to omit the cheese for vegans). Roll up the tortillas and place on the greased baking tins. Cover with a lid and heat through in a preheated oven on 200°C/400°F/gas 6 for about 20 minutes.

-------

More to follow when I can be arsed.  What kind of meals does your wife like?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 01:50:38 am »

She's not too terribly picky, but the best meals are the ones made with minimal effort and cost. (Read: We are lazy people.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:02:11 am »

This topic is oddly suitable for me what with me being a vegetarian looking for new recipes. I was going to post in the sad thread about how I've gotten bored of cooking lately and how my diet was suffering for it. I look forward to seeing what gets posted in here and hope there will be some simple dishes.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 03:37:05 am »

Vegan or veggie, Max? Because I know some simple veggie dishes which's recepies I can dig up. But nothing without some animal product in it.

I've always planned to go vegetarian, but never managed to go further than a few dinners every now and then. I'm a weak person. ;)
Love, scriver~

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 03:50:33 am »

I'm actually eating sandwich meat as I'm typing this, but I'd love to hear some good recipes for meatless food, at least out of curiosity.  At some point, I'm going to need something to entertain with other than ad-libed salads.  I might have a recipe for pasta salad, since I'm sure it would work fine without the pastrami.

There a simple Jamie Oliver recipe for mexican bean wraps that I'm making pretty regularly at present.

Can you describe how this tastes?  Because it sounds great, but my untrained pallet suggests it would just tastes like beans wrapped in tortillas.  I'm a little weird with peppers, I don't always like the texture, and according to a high-school science experiment, I lack a gene involved in tasting spicy foods like jalapenos.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 04:32:53 am »

Can you describe how this tastes?  Because it sounds great, but my untrained pallet suggests it would just tastes like beans wrapped in tortillas.  I'm a little weird with peppers, I don't always like the texture, and according to a high-school science experiment, I lack a gene involved in tasting spicy foods like jalapenos.

Beans are weird things; they can taste really bland if cooked badly, but this recipe has never gone wrong for me.  I actually really struggle to describe the taste of any food, but it's pretty yummy IMO and has a decent variety of textures and flavors.  By peppers, it means bell peppers rather than jalapenos.  These things:

If they're fried really lightly (olive oil is highly recommended for this) then they get this really nice juicy texture and the flavor seems to increase a fair bit.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 04:34:59 am »

I guess I should say that all vegetables have a weird texture for me, especially peppers and tomatoes.  The spicy thing was jalapenos specifically, but I'm pretty sure it applies to peppers too.  That's why I'm watching this, I want some recipes for vegetables that will be more readily edible than what I'm used to.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 04:37:42 am »

Bell peppers aren't spicy at all.  They're not chilis.

I guess it's gonna be kinda tough to find a vegetarian recipe you'll like if all vegetables taste weird to you.  Is it the squishy ones or the crunchy ones you have most trouble with?

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 04:46:32 am »

I'm pretty far from being a vegetarian but I'll have to keep an eye on this topic. Never a bad idea to learn a few new recipes  :D.

Since we can ask questions, what are the pros and cons of a vegetarian diet compared to a standard diet? Admittedly, even though I have entertained the idea of giving up meat before, I know little about vegetarianism.
My personality profile.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 05:00:44 am »

Most meat is quite expensive compared to fruit and vegetables, so that's a pro for vegetarian diet or meals.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 05:02:57 am »

This thread is relevant to my interests.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 06:31:22 am »

Yeah, I'm moderately interested too. I'm a diehard omnivore, but as others have alluded to, meat is expensive. At least if you don't want the kind that's full of antibiotics, hormones and assorted chemical synthetic goodness.

i'll have to dig through my recipe file -- pretty sure i've got a few that have been tasty.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 06:46:47 am »

Cheesy broccoli pasta bake thingy!  It's what I'm having for my tea tonight :)

Ingredients.
280g penne pasta
280g fresh broccoli, cut into florets
25g butter
25g plain flour
300ml milk
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
140g mature cheddar cheese, grated

Instructions.
Cook the pasta in boiling water, adding the broccoli for the final 4-5 mins and cooking until tender. Drain well, then heat the grill.

Heat the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 min, then gradually add the milk, stirring well between each addition. Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer for 2 mins, before stirring in the mustard, half the cheese and seasoning.

Mix the pasta and broccoli into the sauce and spoon into an ovenproof dish. Scatter over the remaining cheese and place under a hot grill for 3-4 mins until golden and bubbling.

----

Quick and cheap meal that's pretty tasty.  Hardly a delicacy, but it's a nice little meal to make when short on time/energy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6