Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489063 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

The effect seems more severe in .90, interestingly launch clamps seem to be able to hold their position.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Launch clamps are the closest KSP has to "static objects" I mean just watch the danny video where he accidentally shoots launch clamps through the planet and out the other side. They stay EXACTLY the same distance apart and everything through the entirety of Kerbin.

If the rest of your ship was as sturdy as launch clamps you could fire interstellar's warp drive at a planet and either bounce or COME OUT THE OTHER SIDE with zero damage from the entire atmosphere and lithosphere.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

So my game is a science game, no mods.
I've bought the first four tiers of research, and some beyond. How is it that I'm unable to make it to orbit still?

I'm certain that it's because I'm tacking on so much weight for science modules, but I'd just like to get some more thrust.
I have 83 science right now, not enough to buy anything else at the moment, but I'm sure after another launch I will be able to.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

What exactly is the problem with getting to orbit? Not enough delta-V? What do your rockets look like?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This one aaaaalmost got me to orbit today, but I misjudged something (I can't get the hang of those manuever nodes), and of course with no solar panels I ran out of electricity to do science with pretty fast; at least fast enough once I landed in the highlands.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It does contain a Mobile Processing Lab, which is way too heavy for the thrust I have now, I think, but if I could find a way to add more thrust...

Edit: Haven't added more thrust but I added solar panels (Brilliant, what use are those at night?), and the following is after the first stage has been removed:

Edit: Last Stage:

Crud, I lost control of which direction it's pointing and now any burn is retrograde. I can't get it turned around, and it's falling.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:20:52 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is the overblown monstrosity? I expect monstrosities to get into orbit.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I have no idea how heavy the Mobile Processing Lab is, but I do know two ways to increase your chances to get up there.

1. Asparagus Staging increases delta-V by, in my experience, about 10-30%, which is very useful for getting to orbit.

2. Fins stabilize the craft and make it harder to flip over on its own, sort of like fletching on an arrow.
Nothing important here, move along.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

1. Struts cause horrific amounts of drag. Avoid them (!!).
2. You do not need that many solid fuel boosters.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. Struts cause horrific amounts of drag. Avoid them (!!).
2. You do not need that many solid fuel boosters.
I was using them until I could research Fuel Ducts to use what TBPickle suggested.
The Cyan Menace

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

No, I mean you don't even need them with all the science stuff.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I was using them until I could research Fuel Ducts to use what TBPickle suggested.

If you don't have fuel ducts yet, you can do makeshift asparagus staging by making two asparagus sections and putting more fuel into one. It's less efficient than proper asparagus, but still more efficient than no asparagus at all.
Nothing important here, move along.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the advice guys! :D Newest rocket I had Fuel Ducts, and finally made it to orbit.

Also, in regards to the time warp discussion, I had tried making a probe earlier before my science lab produced enough science to research ducts. Of course it didn't do anything useful, but the stack of reaction wheels behaved interestingly when I put time-warp on.
Spoiler: Streeeeetch (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Oh wow you're going WAY too high there. You only need your apoapsis up to >70,000, y'know!

Also, you going west? East makes it so that you don't need to add Kerbin's rotation speed to your delta-v just to get to orbit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:46:44 pm by Putnam »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, that maneuver node is pretty inefficient. In general you want to burn directly prograde/retrograde (yellow-green markers) at periapsis or apoapsis when raising or lowering your orbit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:41:52 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Also, Im not positive that you are doing this or not, but when you reach the end of the light-blue section of the atmosphere its generally good to start tipping over to the west a bit. Let gravity help you with that initial orbit.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 848