Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489387 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nope. "Previous Stable Build" (in the "betas") is 0.90.

They pushed 1.0.2 five days ago, left "Previous Stable Build" on .90, and have done nothing since: https://steamdb.info/app/220200/depots/ https://steamdb.info/app/220200/history/
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

*Almost* landed a jet in the desert without parachutes....almost.

Managed to touchdown at a speed of only 42 m/s (93 mph), dropped the throttle to nil and rode the brakes. Unfortunately, there wasn't any level terrain, and I was landing on the side slope of a shallow hill. Started to tip, panicked (do you steer a jet INTO the skid, or away?), and then did a yard sale all over the desert. Command pod was fine of course, but I lost my thermometers and barometers and all their scrumptious science data. :(

EDIT: I really need to invest in a joystick.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

you steer a jet into the skid, at least with the jets I make

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder, would a docking bay have protected all that science?

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

One of the tricks to landing is to not be in a hurry.  Most airworthy craft can stay in the air at well under 100% throttle, spaceplanes that can get high enough to have a chance at orbit can probably stay in the air at 25% or even less.  The less speed you start with when coming in to land the easier. Because it's easier to gain a little speed when landing than it is to lose it.  If going too fast you can kill speed without gaining altitude by doing a couple s curves in the air.  Make sure yer not too close to the ground when you do that though.  If yer too slow, just throttle up the engine a touch or two for a few seconds.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Yeah, I was down at about 30% throttle or below. Like I said, the actual touchdown was fine, it was the braking that left something to be desired. A tail parachute would helped, I suppose though I worry that it would have unanticipated forces causing the plane to jerk off-axis.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Tail parachutes don't work in stock.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

I tried making a space plane for the first time in 1.0.2, but now all the planes I make do backflips on takeoff just like everyone's did when they first started playing. I tried moving my center of lift forwards and backwards, but it didn't help.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You centered your Center of Lift inside your Center of Mass? Are your thrusters pointing directly forward (or outward)? (Rather than up or down, since that would throw it off)

Might also throw it off if the wings were tilted, though I'm not sure since I'm not terribly good at making planes.

Got screenshots or video?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

CoL BEHIND CoM

Your wingdick should buttsex your fatball.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Your wingdick should buttsex your fatball.
Couldn't have said that better myself.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

You centered your Center of Lift inside your Center of Mass? Are your thrusters pointing directly forward (or outward)? (Rather than up or down, since that would throw it off)

Might also throw it off if the wings were tilted, though I'm not sure since I'm not terribly good at making planes.

You can compensate for wing tilting by counter-tilting the stabilizers. For instance, because of the shitty entry-tier fixed landing gear, I tend to tilt the wingtips up so that wing-mounted landing gear (the long ones on a stick) are at the same height as the fuselage-mounted nose gear. This is counter balanced by tilting the stabilizers (whether mounted on the tail or as canards) down.  This can make handling a bit wonky but nothing too bad. Actually, angling the wings up tends to give superior lift at low speeds (think the Stuka or F4U Corsair). My Grasshopper can get airborne at speeds as low as 65 m/s.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile

Kleberal Splace Afrogram.

I need to get thiiiis guuhhhhh
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I don't tend to have much of a problem with the beginning landing gear. If you don't play around wiht the angle you just have to move them up on the fuselage until the wheels are at a 90 degree angle, and at that point they are either the same height or slightly higher when compared to the front wheel.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Sadly I can't find a download link for that titanic so I won't be getting it into space today :/. It would be easy with tweakscale, I've been hefting 2000 ton rockets with ease.
I'm stil screwing about with MKS, at the moment I'm working on separating the OKS/MKS stuff into separate tiers, OKS stuff available earlier, cheaper and lighter but less powerful, MKS stuff available later but more heavy and powerful, capable of supporting larger colonies, also more expensive. I'm also working on rebalancing power costs, I'll probably triple basic power consumption, make refineries take 5-6 times as much, seriously reduce production of the PDU and other reactors and force them to require way more fuel. I've also taken the old overheating mechanic off the ISRU and forced it into overheating reactors, I need to balance it so that left on and running at 100% a reactor will kersplode, unless either; attached to a bigass fueltank/water tank ,attached to a significant quantity of gigantors, OR has a high level engineer inside the module. 
Or for balance reasons you should get the same cooling by attaching the reactor to a small tank with a few panels on it, and have a level 1 engineer present. Ideally the reactor should still get hot enough to cause nearby items to explode, more ideally it should run hot enough to be borderline risking the gigantors exploding, like that mainsail test I was running.
Lastly I want depleted uranium to cause it's storage tank to heat up but I'm not sure how to do that. As a last resort I might repurpose an MKS inflatable module so that when inflated it will store a large quantity of DU, but generate heat as a by-product.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 848