Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1486064 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10875 on: December 20, 2014, 06:51:54 am »

They currently refer to Fuel, Oxidizer, and Electricity and things like this as "Resources" so I suspect it may be some refinement of the existing system.  Maybe to do with how it flows through parts, and what the routing systems and plumbing work like.

Unless they were totally lying about 0.90 being "Feature Complete" I really would really not expect any major new features.

Also, just discovered something new:

If you don't launch into space on your first flight, you can complete subsequent "Altitude Record" contracts after the 5K level.  I didn't know this low-hanging fruit was available, and it sure is more fun than mining KSC for science.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10876 on: December 20, 2014, 08:23:48 am »

They didn't say .90 was FEATURE complete. They called it SCOPE complete. There is a difference. They're still adding features, even major ones, but they aren't going to say...add a war against aliens after all the "explore X" missions.

Basically they said "this is how BIG the game is going to be" instead of "this is all the things you're going to DO in the game"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10877 on: December 20, 2014, 09:39:54 am »

Scope complete isnt a thing in software development.  I think they have some actual professional software developers on their staff now, but still:  Please entertain me with your idea of what the distinction between "feature complete" and "scope complete" would be. 

Use specific examples, and hand gestures if necessary.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10878 on: December 20, 2014, 10:30:12 am »

Sorry about that.  Here, let me try again with less snark:

English isn't their first language.  Software Development isn't their first career.  When they said Scope, they were clearly trying to describe a status that is analogous to "Feature Complete".  They may add "Content" but they will probably not be adding major "Features".

Why do I interpret it this way?  Well, here:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/313-Beta-Than-Ever-The-Future-of-KSP and here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/220200/announcements/detail/134310928147086385

They say "Scope" but what does that mean and how do they define it?  Check it out:

This then is the version that makes the game ‘scope complete’: every major feature that the game was designed to incorporate now exists

KSP now has all the features we considered vital to be in the game that we designed so many years ago. It doesn’t mean the game has everything we want it to have, it means everything we considered necessary for it to be Kerbal Space Program exists, even if only in a minimal form.

Scope completion means that every big system that the game needed is there

No more groundwork, no more laying down infrastructure. We’ve finished building the kitchen, it’s time for us to start cooking.

I'm not taking this stuff out of context, this is exactly what they are saying.  The links are right there, they don't go on in the next sentence to say "oh, and we might still add major features".

What they /ARE/ talking about adding, is "Content".  A new MK3 cockpit interior isnt a feature, it is content.  The features to support it are already there, its just some extra meshes and textures and shit.  Adding another Gas planet or two isnt a feature, it's content.  Tweaking the aerodynamics is fiddling with existing code.  Even adding additional Kerbal skills is mainly just content development.

A resource extraction would be a major feature.  It would require, to use their words, laying additional groundwork.

Now, they've gone against what they've said and what they've roadmapped before, so this isn't 100%, but I feel like it is pretty likely.

And what it means for multiplayer?  How committed are they, do they consider it to require extra groundwork?  Totally up in the air.  Again, it is a great program, they have great community out reach, but they're kind of making it up as they go.

And on resources?  They've already clarified that when they say "Resources" they don't mean "Mining" so I really wouldn't hold my breath:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61997-Article-KerbalKon-Announcements?p=844430#post844430

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10879 on: December 20, 2014, 10:39:23 am »

They also said that mining was shelved and that they would probally do it. In the final link you posted.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10880 on: December 20, 2014, 11:02:48 am »

Well, no harm in being optimistic.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10881 on: December 20, 2014, 11:38:07 am »

That resource quote is from 2013. They've added and lost staff since then. Maxmaps has said otherwise in the past couple months in live streams. Mining seems to still be a thing.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10882 on: December 21, 2014, 02:33:39 am »

And I'm sure I remember reading somewhere they said multiplayer is going to be "post 1.0".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10883 on: December 21, 2014, 02:42:55 am »

Sorry about that.  Here, let me try again with less snark:

English isn't their first language.  Software Development isn't their first career.  When they said Scope, they were clearly trying to describe a status that is analogous to "Feature Complete".  They may add "Content" but they will probably not be adding major "Features".

Why do I interpret it this way?  Well, here:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/313-Beta-Than-Ever-The-Future-of-KSP and here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/220200/announcements/detail/134310928147086385

They say "Scope" but what does that mean and how do they define it?  Check it out:

This then is the version that makes the game ‘scope complete’: every major feature that the game was designed to incorporate now exists

KSP now has all the features we considered vital to be in the game that we designed so many years ago. It doesn’t mean the game has everything we want it to have, it means everything we considered necessary for it to be Kerbal Space Program exists, even if only in a minimal form.

No more groundwork, no more laying down infrastructure. We’ve finished building the kitchen, it’s time for us to start cooking.

I'm not taking this stuff out of context, this is exactly what they are saying.  The links are right there, they don't go on in the next sentence to say "oh, and we might still add major features".

What they /ARE/ talking about adding, is "Content".  A new MK3 cockpit interior isnt a feature, it is content.  The features to support it are already there, its just some extra meshes and textures and shit.  Adding another Gas planet or two isnt a feature, it's content.  Tweaking the aerodynamics is fiddling with existing code.  Even adding additional Kerbal skills is mainly just content development.

Notice the fact that every single one of those quotes is in past-tense and that the second one explicitly says that they're not feature-complete yet (unless "it doesn't mean the game has everything we want it to have" means something different than the obvious)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10884 on: December 21, 2014, 09:18:50 am »

I think it's reaching to assume they intend on implementing more features, based on the presence of past tense while referring to their planning, particularly when the quotes have grammatical errors in them.

It doesn’t mean the game has everything we want it to have, it means everything we considered necessary for it to be Kerbal Space Program exists

How long has KSP been in development, now?

ed: I guess that isn't really grammatically incorrect.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:33:02 am by Rez »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10885 on: December 21, 2014, 07:20:04 pm »

It's not really reaching when the phrase "so many years ago" is used.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10886 on: December 21, 2014, 10:46:33 pm »

Kerbal Alarm Clock
Stage Recovery
Kerbal Engineer
Stock Revamp
Collision FX
NEAR
Planetshine
Environmental Visual Enhancments
Procedural Fairings
RealChute
SCAN Sat
Active Texture Management
Hyperedit
Final Frontier
Are there any other mods that are good? I don't want RemoteTech or Deadly Reentry, and I have NEAR instead of FAR because I'm a casual :P

Say, utility mods, or ones that overhaul part of KSP's mechanics...?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10887 on: December 22, 2014, 12:49:27 am »

On the difference between "Scope" complete and "Feature" complete states of the game - English isn't my first language either, but somehow I understood perfectly well what it meant.

A game's "scope" is its "breadth" and "length" - it's almost literally what "scope" means. It's a general measure of how far a game is intended to stretch, not explicitly defined by either content or features, but rather a mindset of the developers. "Scope completion" is their way of saying "we've made the game as wide and long as we wanted it to". The difference from "feature completion" is that they're not stopping adding features and content for "depth". They won't add interstellar flight, won't overhaul the science system (probably), definitely won't add alien invaders, but they can add things like an overhauled flight physics model and an ISRU system because it fits their idea of "more and better things to do within the scope we've defined".

Their game is still a long ways off from a proper, "final" release, and from now till then, until they have to go "Feature complete" and make a few final rounds of bug-squashing, they will continue to add features.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10888 on: December 22, 2014, 12:57:27 am »

Also, they confirmed multiplayer explicitly awhile ago.

It's not in.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10889 on: December 22, 2014, 07:51:49 am »

You guys remind me of theologians trying to interpret the Bible and burn those that don't agree with them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 848