Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1445508 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

all reactors have broken the wheels upon descending the landing strip XD

will put some in orbit before properly launching real microwave powered craft :P
For launch purposes, I recommend putting a bunch in a roughly kerbo-stationary orbit above the launch pad in addition to those on the ground. Circularizing with massive thrust and 519 ISP is insanely great.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

So.....finally picked up the full version of this. Have managed to do several sub-orbital missions to mountains, ice caps, highlands, etc.
Also made a science rocket with three science modules to pick up data for in-flight, low space and high space all in one go.
But now I'm running out of places to do science, and I still haven't a clue how to get to Mun with the tech that I have.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can get to the Mun without spending any science points. Hit up the wiki for Kerbin biomes you've missed.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

To Mun without fancy math in 5 easy steps:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:33:06 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mün lithobraking: The only way a true Kerbal goes to the Mün his first time.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Usually after parachute deployment fails.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

How would succesful chute deployment prevent smashing on the mun?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

How would succesful chute deployment prevent smashing on the mun?
Clearly the chute is woven from hyper powerful solar sails, that's how.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

The key is having the parachutes face towards the Mun, and have enough of them that the force of their activation slows your descent - not to mention having all that fabric acting as a cushion.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now I'm wondering if you could actually do lithobraking and survive. Maybe a massive cushion of girders?
Entropy is not what it used to be.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Now I'm wondering if you could actually do lithobraking and survive. Maybe a massive cushion of girders?

In real life they did this a few times with probes and rovers and such I believe. So its definitely possible IRL.

In KSP its a bit harder due to physics being what it is. Its certainly not impossible, I've experimented with it and had lithobrake cages that could keep you alive at up to 70 kps (KSP uses kps right? I just realized I haven't played in a long time o.o)

Granted even at just 70 your ship would still end up getting incredibly messed up, I've had times where just the capsule survived, so its probably best to keep it as a "extreme backup plan"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Airbags:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83134

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Girder segments are actually amazing for lithobraking. Beware though, as sometimes you will break the planet instead.

The old rule of thumb for flying to the Mun was simple - burn prograde at munrise. Certainly not efficient, but it works.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Have gotten a probe into almost-orbit. Inevitably, it winds up being a "3/4 of the around the world, followed by smoking crater".

How on earth Kerbal do you get solid rocket stages big enough to get you up to orbit alt before switching to the liquid rockets? Mine always overheat or come apart horrifically. I'm thinking that maybe I'm trying to go too big and just need to stick to one solid booster rather than a glom of three tri-stacks.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For my bigger rockets, the first stage usually has something in the neighborhood of 30 of the doubletall rocket boosters. Just add more rocket.
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 848