Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485429 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

http://i.imgur.com/uOqicyJ.gif
2 Stage water rocket, looks like someones been playing to much KSP!
I need to know how that works.

EDIT: Okay I found it out pretty quickly.
They use these for timing. I wouldn't have expected electronics on a water rocket but there you go.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:01:57 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Modified my spaceplane to be a tug figuring I would get rid of some of the debris floating around in space before a future mission becomes buddy buddy with it in a bad way.

Saw an eclipse on my way up.

(thumbnail)
On one hand it looks pretty cool, and it's probably crazy rare to see, especially if yer not looking for it.  On the other hand it meant my batteries were already mostly drained when I got to space because the solar panels were 'blocked by Mun' most of the trip.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

The kerbal's expression is perfect.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

The science module of the K.S.S. "Willful Ignorance" was delivered and docked today. However, the station is now unbalanced and wobbly. Another mission will deliver KAS parts to strut up the weak docking node.
The more important issue with the science module is that the helium cryostats used for cooling the twin IR telescopes provide a major drain on the station's power; currently, because of insufficient power storage, the station goes dead whenever it is on the dark side of Kerbin. To alleviate the problem, the slated docking bay module will be pre-empted by a power module, consisting of a number of batteries and a small fission reactor.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

My attempts to deorbit some debris resulted in catastrophic failure, the amount of debris in orbit has been quadrupled. 

My electromagnet didn't seem to be working, I would activate it in the cockpit, but it seemed that as soon as the kerbal grabbed it to attach it to the debris it would deactivate.  Perhaps my tug just dosn't have the battery capacity needed.  After I gave up on that I tried using the ship's body to try and push the debris out of orbit.  That went about how I should have expected in hindsight.

I managed to get the kerbal out of orbit with half a plane and fired the abort system but the cockpit managed to touch down on the edge of a steep mountainside. 

The parachute disconnected when it touched the ground but the cockpit picked up enough speed bouncing down the side of the mountain that the impact at the bottom was fatal.

Lessons learned: Using your spaceship as a bumpercar is a very very bad idea.   And mountains are dicks.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Greenhouse is creating oxygen and food for me, using up water.
Because water is totally used up when plants photosynthesize.
Eh, it's a mod and that was likely the simplest way to do it. I don't mind anyway, it gives me a slight logistics challenge.

I captured an asteroid and am currently hollowing it out to make it a refueling and resupply base.

So far I have a kethane refinery and a small greenhouse (I am using TAC life support). Greenhouse is creating oxygen and food for me, using up water. I'll need to ship more water in.

Next addition will be a fuel hatch to use the 'hollowed out' space inside the rock as a fuel tank.

Is this a mod? If so, which one? Hollowing out an asteroid sounds awesome.
I will link them when the forums are back up but I think one is called asteroid cities and the other is hollow asteroids. :P

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Plants do require water.
Black lives matter.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Plants do require water.
I think his point is that the water can be reclaimed after eating the plants, and generally they do not suck up ALL of the water.

In any case, its good enough for a mod. I don't need a whole biosphere simulator.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think his point is that the water can be reclaimed after eating the plants, and generally they do not suck up ALL of the water.
Exactly. There is no good reason that, with sufficient influx of Electrical Charge, you shouldn't be able to set up a fully self-sufficient space colony...yet, no mod I've seen has dealt with such simple issues.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

The Duna base hit its launch window today, and is off. Duna, here we come!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Exactly. There is no good reason that, with sufficient influx of Electrical Charge, you shouldn't be able to set up a fully self-sufficient space colony...yet, no mod I've seen has dealt with such simple issues.
You will always have some loss, no system is perfectly sealed. And while all water is theoretically recoverable, not all water recovery is feasible. The processes we know to purify very dirty water take a great deal of space and power which are often not available on a space station.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got back into playing KSP, and my first task was to create a working refueling station and put it into stable orbit (I was never awfully good at KSP). I'm pleased to say that I accomplished my task with fuel to spare! I like to call it the 'Big Momma', even though it isn't awfully big. Giving your creations self-confidence is the first step to success, I think.
The second step is, of course, making them functioning. Who refuels the refueling station?
That's easier said than done. I've been trying for hours now to dock the darn thing, but they just bounce off each other like rubber everytime. I'm going to have to just download MechJeb and send another refueling ship up with the automatic docking system.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Giving your creations self-confidence is the first step to success, I think.

Spoiler: KSS Titanic (click to show/hide)

ok, not mine, and not the actual name  :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You will always have some loss, no system is perfectly sealed. And while all water is theoretically recoverable, not all water recovery is feasible. The processes we know to purify very dirty water take a great deal of space and power which are often not available on a space station.
We've done a damn good approximation already, and we were supporting a wide variety of non-human organisms as well. I daresay that by the time we get back to having a regular space program again, we'll figure out how to waterproof our spacecraft and whatnot.
Also, note that I said space colony. Although a sufficiently large space station should also be able to be self-sufficient.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still interested in solutions for that get-to-the-surface save editing thing...
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 848