Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489498 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Well, they pushed it back for science, so its already partially done.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This rover's home base is quite dainty.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It drives under and the skeleton kneels to link up. The rover can drive around while connected. The balloon wheels are worthless on the Mun. They have little to no traction. I just swapped them out for these better wheels. The rover has a dock on the bottom as well. The base can pick it up and get the rover on top of a standard rocket for a trip home. The rover has four sets of equipment for full retrieval.

The last iteration of this? Um. Well. There's a Kerbal on the moon that needs saving.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just found out that the spacex grasshopper is quite a bit more impressive than I'd assumed before. I had the silly idea of taking a fuel tank with a docking port on the bottom and radial engines(and a little rcs fuel which turned out to not last very long at all and in the end be mostly useless) and try to place it on top of the docking port of the tiny lander I'd left Jeb in. I managed to get very close, within 20 meters at one point and thought I might even be able to do it(but at the cost of almost all the fuel I'd brought to refuel both Jeb and Bill's ship. In the end though, it turned out quite unfeasable, as even the tiny radial engines I'd stuck onto the mobile fuel tank were enough to completely knock over the lander on one low pass. As for why I didn't refuel Bill's ship first? well... I sort of encountered the Mun on an opposite equatorial orbit. Had to do a full flip of the orbit anyway, so I figured I might as well try refueling the lander first. Neither ended up getting done. Luckily the lander was light enough it could flip itself back over just with the pod torque. Time for another trip to the drawing board.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

So, I've decided to make an orbiter craft based mostly on SRBs.

It went predictably well.

The weird thing is the impromptou radial decouplers work, but the additional SRBs are just too much for them to handle.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love the creativity this update is causing.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

I just did a manned flyby of Duna. I was short on fuel on the way back, so I didn't have enough to complete Kerbin orbit for safe re-entry. Fortunately, I don't like to do things safely anyway. I ended up simply burning to the left to turn my flight path onto Kerbin, and entered the atmosphere at approximately mach 12. In the end everything was OK.

This game makes for almost as awesome stories as DF.
I managed to land on Minmus for the first time, and realized I was more efficient than I planned- I had my entire lander's worth of fuel left over, because I actually landed on my second to last stage without landing gear. So I launched in at 11,000 m/s, and thrusted in reverse. I did it perfectly and hit the ground at 10 m/s... then tipped on the hill while thrusting, and managed to totally destroy my lander by crashing into the hillside. On kerbin, after a successful return trip.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I love the creativity this update is causing.

have you seen how Manley makes it's staging?
rocket surgery, he calls it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNXTFj3ozNY

edit: added the missing link
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 04:26:08 am by LoSboccacc »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

A practice that will soon be lost, when the devs get around to implementing some states in between perfectly fine and destroyed

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did anyone post yet how to add mechjeb to Career mode? I tried reading through a few posts on the KSP forums but couldn't get it to work.

Did "Always transmit, forever" when the "how to do science" argument?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Did anyone post yet how to add mechjeb to Career mode? I tried reading through a few posts on the KSP forums but couldn't get it to work.
Install it like you normally would, then in parts/Mechjeb2_AR202/part.cfg (open in notepad++, not notepad) change
Code: [Select]
    // --- editor parameters ---to
Code: [Select]
    // --- editor parameters ---
    TechRequired = start
    entryCost = 0
It will still be locked, but you can unlock it in the R&D building in the starter tech part for free.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Unless you want to actually have to research it, in which case you can unlock it later on down the line. I'd have it unlock together with the stayputnik.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Blargh the probe I sent to duna to gather gravity and temp readings(as well as attempt to get pressure readings from Duna's outer atmosphere) finished it's mission, and I had a perfect aerocapture set up on kerbin.....then timewarped right through it, forgetting that large timewarp increments ignore celestial bodies(normally, when timewarping at 100x or below, any interaction with a planet or moon would drop thew timewarp in increments, but noooo I had to blow right though that at insane speeds)

And my last quicksave was right after my one failed attempt to get close enough to take barometric readings of Duna(didn't have the delta-v to adjust and still get home :-/ ), so I ragequit
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Just use MechJeb's Warp Helper. Saves so much time and trouble.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just let mechjeb play the whole game for you. Saves so much time and trouble.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Blargh the probe I sent to duna to gather gravity and temp readings(as well as attempt to get pressure readings from Duna's outer atmosphere) finished it's mission, and I had a perfect aerocapture set up on kerbin.....then timewarped right through it, forgetting that large timewarp increments ignore celestial bodies(normally, when timewarping at 100x or below, any interaction with a planet or moon would drop thew timewarp in increments, but noooo I had to blow right though that at insane speeds)

And my last quicksave was right after my one failed attempt to get close enough to take barometric readings of Duna(didn't have the delta-v to adjust and still get home :-/ ), so I ragequit
If you actually ragequit instead of ending the flight in any proper manner, then the next time you open KSP you'll be able to load your last autosave, which might be in a more advantageous position.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 848