Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485315 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I keep trying to build aircraft with B9 and i can never seem to get off the ground. I think I need more power...
One helpful tip I found to get planes off the ground was to make the back landing gear slightly shorter than the front gear so you get a high angle of attack. You also want the back gear to be fairly close to the centre of mass so it acts as a pivot point, which makes it easier to pitch up from the ground.

Edit: Actually, you probably want to do one or the other but not both
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 04:11:07 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I think I just needed more power.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They all seem to become too unstable at ~15000m, or start diving. The only success I have had was with a passenger jet-looking thing with the engines mounted below the centre of mass, which kept the nose pointed up.

I have the same issue.  For some reason, as soon as I cut my air-breathing motors, I lose all control and flip all about.  That's the confusing thing, is it's not when they flare-out.  Even if I cut them and turn on the (gimbaled) rocket motors, it still freaks out.  Upper atmosphere kraken?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:35:24 pm by Rez »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

They all seem to become too unstable at ~15000m, or start diving. The only success I have had was with a passenger jet-looking thing with the engines mounted below the centre of mass, which kept the nose pointed up.

I have the same issue.  For some reason, as soon as I cut my air-breathing motors, I lose all control and flip all about.  That's the confusing thing, is it's not when they flare-out.  Even if I cut them and turn on the (gimbaled) rocket motors, it still freaks out.  Upper atmosphere kraken?
Do you close the intakes as well? All of them? There is usually just enough drag in the upper atmosphere to make even a single missed intake a major problem.

Also, two other things. First, make sure that the rocket engines are actually centered against the plane's mass. Second, make sure that you either activate rockets with staging, or have the action group set up to toggle their gimbals as well - simply activating unstaged rocket motors with an action group tends to leave their gimbals inactive.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All intakes stayed open, but everything else you mentioned was being done.  I'll try changing that.

Edit:  Yep, that helped a ton.  Now I just need to get enough and balance my rocket thrusters such that they don't throw the SSTO into a wild somersault.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:12:25 pm by Rez »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

It took a while, but I finally did it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Excellent! I'm eagerly awaiting the promised resource system they're currently developing but Kethane is a decent substitute and good practice.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Feeling bored and expendable, anyone care to name a target and what to orbit around it?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Bop.

Holy hell is that thing a pain to get to.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Feeling bored and expendable, anyone care to name a target and what to orbit around it? (With Mechjeb)
Fixed.

Bop will be the target!  Now what do I do with Bop?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Up to you. I've gone and landed a massive rover onto it...

AND THERE'S NO FUEL LINE BETWEEN THE KETHANE CONVERTER AND THE ROCKET FUEL TANKS!!!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Feeling bored and expendable, anyone care to name a target and what to orbit around it?

Polaris, anything.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Polaris, anything.
Google didn't reveal anything Polaris...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Wait... when did 0.20.2 come out? And why do I not have it yet?

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Feeling bored and expendable, anyone care to name a target and what to orbit around it? (With Mechjeb)
Fixed.

Bop will be the target!  Now what do I do with Bop?
Asteroids.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33713-20-Asteroids-!!!!

At least three, connected together to form a space station.
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 848