Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484409 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #1065 on: November 08, 2011, 09:00:52 pm »

OMG there's a Mun now!  You should update the OP's title to reflect this monstrosity~

Now, to build a Munar-to-Kerbal Assault Rocket!  It shall land safely on the Mun and deploy small rockets that veer off and crash into Kerba!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #1066 on: November 13, 2011, 01:48:32 am »

what do you think about the current game balance?

right now, getting to the mun and back requires a very heavy rocket, which is not truly a problem alone but severely impact frame rate and thus the ability of controlling it.

so what I feel is not that the required rockets for advanced stunts are too big, but that requiring a rocket so big for the trip to the mun and back is adversely affecting the ability of my computer to play the game (it's a 19400 with a 8800 gt, so it *is* getting old, but not slow by any standard)

It's not too bad, I would imagine. I last played many updates ago and the parts feel a lot stronger compared to back then.
I "got" to the Mun with this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm certain I had enough fuel to land safely, I just needed some better control of my orbital path and landing sequence. Getting them back is another issue though. :P

Getting them off Mun is easier than getting them there, at any rate. You just need enough fuel to break Mun's incredibly weak gravitational pull, and aim your path straight at Kerbil. Parachute will handle everything once you get there.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:54:13 am by Lightning4 »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1067 on: November 13, 2011, 02:14:12 am »

I got to the Mun with a fairly simple rocket on my second try (on my first try I mistakenly hit the spacebar when trying to reignite my engines for a course adjustment). I had to chase it for a few orbits around Kerbin but I still had about half a tank of fuel left by the time I got into the Mun's gravity. Unfortunately, the braking procedure ate up more fuel than I expected (does the liquid fuel engine consume fuel at the same rate regardless of the throttle setting?) and I crashed into the munar surface at ~60 m/s.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1068 on: November 13, 2011, 02:57:09 am »

what do you think about the current game balance?

right now, getting to the mun and back requires a very heavy rocket, which is not truly a problem alone but severely impact frame rate and thus the ability of controlling it.

so what I feel is not that the required rockets for advanced stunts are too big, but that requiring a rocket so big for the trip to the mun and back is adversely affecting the ability of my computer to play the game (it's a 19400 with a 8800 gt, so it *is* getting old, but not slow by any standard)

It's not too bad, I would imagine. I last played many updates ago and the parts feel a lot stronger compared to back then.
I "got" to the Mun with this:
I'm certain I had enough fuel to land safely, I just needed some better control of my orbital path and landing sequence. Getting them back is another issue though. :P

Getting them off Mun is easier than getting them there, at any rate. You just need enough fuel to break Mun's incredibly weak gravitational pull, and aim your path straight at Kerbil. Parachute will handle everything once you get there.
Wha... why did you put AdvSAS modules on the radial boosters? And in double stacks! You do know that AdvSAS is nothing like the normal SAS, right? It doesn't provide force, it's just a control module. Ideally, you'll only have one, in a tiny section with RCS tanks right under your return vehicle.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: November 13, 2011, 03:08:16 am »

I got to the Mun with a fairly simple rocket on my second try (on my first try I mistakenly hit the spacebar when trying to reignite my engines for a course adjustment). I had to chase it for a few orbits around Kerbin but I still had about half a tank of fuel left by the time I got into the Mun's gravity. Unfortunately, the braking procedure ate up more fuel than I expected (does the liquid fuel engine consume fuel at the same rate regardless of the throttle setting?) and I crashed into the munar surface at ~60 m/s.

No, the liquid engines will use fuel at different rates depending on throttle. I found a really cool thread about high high people could get a command module, fuel tank, and engine. I wish I new more about effiicient ways to fly. I know I am very wasteful.
Wha... why did you put AdvSAS modules on the radial boosters? And in double stacks! You do know that AdvSAS is nothing like the normal SAS, right? It doesn't provide force, it's just a control module. Ideally, you'll only have one, in a tiny section with RCS tanks right under your return vehicle.

You beat me too it. I stole his design and added 6 SRBs to the bottom, wingles and 3 RCS fuel tanks to his SRB's, and RCS thrusters up and down the main shaft. I made it to the moon and touched down. Then my rocket started to fall over so I gunned it. Made it back home too.

First successful Mun mission and it was even with stock parts!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: November 13, 2011, 06:00:10 am »

Ah... well, thanks. I guess the design needs some tweaks then.
I had no clue what it actually did since it's been a while since I last played, I assumed it was just a souped-up SAS module. :P
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:02:26 am by Lightning4 »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: November 13, 2011, 05:51:55 pm »

I think I just broke the game.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: November 13, 2011, 06:07:19 pm »

Do you guys have a calculator or something to tell you how to rendezvous with the Moon?  I can get a rocket into an orbit that would reach it, but I have no damn clue how to purposefully intercept it.  Heck, I'd be happy with crashing into it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: November 13, 2011, 06:08:09 pm »

I think I just broke the game.
Clearly you have gone to Keaven and all it's whiteness.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: November 13, 2011, 06:16:12 pm »

You broke through the snowglobe.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: November 13, 2011, 06:34:54 pm »

Do you guys have a calculator or something to tell you how to rendezvous with the Moon?  I can get a rocket into an orbit that would reach it, but I have no damn clue how to purposefully intercept it.  Heck, I'd be happy with crashing into it.

I always just get the orbit big enough to intercept a small part of the Munar orbit, then speed up time until the orbit line switches. After that it's a matter of decreasing the hyperbola to a stable orbit. Landing is another matter, haven't been able to do it mainly because I usually lack the fuel.
Nothing important here, move along.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: November 13, 2011, 06:50:12 pm »

If you are in a low Kearth orbit heading in the same direction as Kearth is rotating, then to get to the Mun you need to start burning when it appears on the horizon, and stop burning once you get an orbit that intersects the Mun's orbit. This will allow you to get to the Mun's orbit when the Mun is close to where you are.

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about regarding when to do the burn for TMI, and here is the resulting orbit which took me to the Mun (except I forgot to switch off timewarp and crashed into the Mun rather than inserting my craft into a stable orbit).

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 13, 2011, 07:08:39 pm »

If you are in a low Kearth orbit heading in the same direction as Kearth is rotating, then to get to the Mun you need to start burning when it appears on the horizon, and stop burning once you get an orbit that intersects the Mun's orbit. This will allow you to get to the Mun's orbit when the Mun is close to where you are.

Thank you sir, that is exactly the kind of advice I needed.  I love it, interplanetary Newtonian navigation by pure eyeball.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: November 13, 2011, 11:05:42 pm »

Another way to eyeball it. Make it so the apogee of the orbit is roughly 1/6 of an orbit ahead of the Mun. This will usually get you close enough to capture with a small burn. I actually managed once to have my orbit intersect the Mun. Usually it's somewhere between a couple hundred kilometers and a million or so km.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #1079 on: November 13, 2011, 11:17:02 pm »

Using a mod (silisko's or something like that) I managed to make a ship do an orbit around the Sun. But I was aiming for the moon. D:
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 848