Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488345 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

then, you should get the time you reach a 95 circular orbit, the time that the other craft does another orbit, give a proportion and launch when ithe other craft is passing above you but at -x seconds (or something like that, dunno if anything I said makes sense without visualizing it in drawing - or equations)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

another trick: just get in a coplanar orbit with the same periapsis and apoapsis; then you can get in phase by buring along on the normal going outward to your orbit; that shouldn't change ap or pe, but should move them around

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

then, you should get the time you reach a 95 circular orbit, the time that the other craft does another orbit, give a proportion and launch when ithe other craft is passing above you but at -x seconds (or something like that, dunno if anything I said makes sense without visualizing it in drawing - or equations)

Actually, if you look at the return craft it should tell you how long until it reaches periapsis. How long is a 95km circular orbit? Return craft time to periapsis  / orbit time at 95km should tell you when you need to be at that spot. Now we just need to figure out how long it takes you to put yourself into a 95km orbit...

Also you need to bring TONS of RCS.

Lets Apollo 13 this shit, LoSboccacc. Lets get those kerbals home!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hey, an idea: up the save, let us all try this challenge

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've tryed to sync up with a spent stage from another flight. manual controls are fine enough to rotate your apoapsis around without changing the orbit eccentricity too much, but they require a buttload of dV.

I don't know if it's better to do that at ap or pe, to save fuel, but I surely need to bring up waaaaay more than what I got. also, more engines, because I've to spent that dV without wating ages. to give a gut measurement, a 1/16 turn of pe/ap took a solid 5 minutes. (with the medium lfe)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll try uploading the save then. but first, I need to do a couple of things...

also, what do you suggest I use to upload files?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Wouldn't a space plane work better to get the capsule back at such a low altitude?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

not really. docking with another spacecraft, without any actual docking equipment nor robotic arms, needs precision. spaceplanes aren't always easy to move, far too bulky and heavy. also, I don't think you can get the most popular pseudo docking systems on a plane.

but the plan still has benefits, if you can manage it. personally, I am having troubles with tiny atmospheric aircraft, spaceplanes are still a dream

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, here she is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I solved most of my issues, the main one being the craft flipping over with the mothership ran out of fuel. The front SASs helped with that, more because of weight than SAS control I THINK.

The way this ship works is you fire off the two lower SRBs, at 10m/s you fire of the wing SRBs. The lower SRBs should run out just after you leave the runway. Jettison them and immeditly fire the center SRB and 2 liquid engines. About 1 second later the wing SRBs will die so jettison those.

When the center SRB is dead jettison it and fire on the orbiter's liquid engine.

Right at the edge of the first atmosphere the mothership's fuel will run out. You have to pop the wing parachutes before you disconnect the orbiter or the mothership will crash into it (it still some times does).

I managed to crash into the moon with the orbiter.

Is there anyway to slow yourself down coming out of orbit other than reverse thrust? I might need to put RCS on the plane and fire it backwards to slow down and then up when landing.... hmmmmmm.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I managed to orbit the sun! Yay, I guess. It wasn't on purpose though so I guess it doesn't really count :P.

Also, is it just me or do wings make rockets tilt into random directions?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I managed to orbit the sun! Yay, I guess. It wasn't on purpose though so I guess it doesn't really count :P.

Also, is it just me or do wings make rockets tilt into random directions?
But you're orbiting the sun from the start!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I'm playing mind games with Kerbal. You wouldn't understand.

Anyway, are parachutes supposed to unattach (?) themselves from my rocket >.>? I was like: 'Yay, the parachutes have opened, the Kermits will be save'. I then noticed that they were no longer attached to my rocket. Boom, everybody dead.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

No, but they're really only strong enough to save the pod and MAYBE an ASAS. Also if you open it too late you'll be going too fast when the chute opens so it will rip off.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

What does an ASAS do anyway? As I haven't actually ever used them yet.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:15:37 am by Dutchling »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They use various parts of your craft to keep your craft at a certain heading, if my memory serves me correctly.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 848