Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Floors make me mad.  (Read 2536 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Floors make me mad.
« on: July 10, 2011, 12:07:05 pm »

Once you hit caverns theres no way to avoid your entire fortress turning into a hippie dream with all kinds of stupid colours and shubs everywhere, if you dont FLOOR out every room. That however means you won't get the occasional risk-free wood mushrooms, but it looks tidy. THe problem is that its such a ROYAL pain in the ass to designate floors, don't even get me started on scrolling down to use the right material.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Re: Floors make me mad.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:13:33 pm »

same thing happened to me...picked up and moved everything down to the rock layer and used my old abandoned fort as a pasture/tree farm, never building in soil again....
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 12:19:08 pm »

That's why I do my building in stone, like a real dwarf.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 12:32:54 pm »

Yeah, the easy way to avoid this problem is to simply build your entire fort in stone layers. Soil isn't dwarfy.

Also, if you want to build a whole block of constructions out of the same material, scroll to the material, hold SHIFT, and hit ENTER. The game will select the closest instances of that material until all of it is selected or all of the constructions are queued. The same also works on other things that require large numbers of materials, e.g. weapon traps.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 01:28:50 pm »

Still have to select the material, and get a mild epileptic fit from pressing the "widen" building buttons.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 03:07:48 pm »

Seriously why is this a problem?
The only things I ever have in a soil layer are farms and food production in any case.
Who DOESN"T build heir forts deep in the mountains bones?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 03:17:23 pm »

Seriously why is this a problem?
The only things I ever have in a soil layer are farms and food production in any case.

I have workshops and my hospital in the soil too. Workshops, so that I could get the stockpiles up quicker, and Hospital because I needed to get it running in a hurry.

All I'll say.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Fire_fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 03:25:08 pm »

You can build paved roads in your fort they cover up the floor they don't take a lot of stone and they are built somewhat fast if you have a lot of building designers. One of the downsides is that you can't build anything over top of them so you would have to destroy an entire section if you wanted to make a door or a bridge.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 06:53:07 pm »

I do, like a human, but I occasionally mine like a dwarf to obtain stone, metal and other stuff like that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 07:07:52 pm »

Invest in macros.

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 08:46:17 pm »

Plants/Trees will not grow on stockpiles.  Designate a stockpile that accepts nothing in the places where you desire no growth.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 09:12:20 pm »

Plants/Trees will not grow on stockpiles.  Designate a stockpile that accepts nothing in the places where you desire no growth.

Great tip!

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 11:21:03 pm »

not quite true, plants will grow beneath the stockpile, but they won't mature until the stockpile is removed.

Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 11:28:44 pm »

I had this same problem for a different reason. Im red green color blind so the fungus floors looked like a lovecraft inspired nightmare for me. I edited the raws so they had the same colors as grass. As for trees and mushrooms you're stuck clearing them out every so often or flooring your entire dirt sections.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 11:32:37 pm »

So, what does it look like when red green colorblind?  I'm not familiar with how color blindness works.
Pages: [1] 2