Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

Author Topic: Simple BYOR - Night 3: No Flavor For You [2 Replacements Required!]  (Read 41572 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Simple BYOR - Day 2: Sun Down, Sun To Go? [1 Replacement Required!]
« Reply #330 on: August 03, 2011, 03:36:10 pm »

Ottofar:
Nope, even though it wasn't intentional.

Anyways, the point here is "Also for sitting on a policylynch for active/lurking."

Uh huh.  So basically, you're just making yourself look dumb.

I could tie the vote between me and Irony.

Yes, you could.  What did stating this accomplish?  It looks like a veiled threat to me.

Okay, then.

I am Alan Moore, a comic book writer.

At night, I'm able to either erase a random ability from a player, or write another on them. I may choose to write an inspect, a block,  a protect, or a kill. Each of the actions can be written once, and only one action can be written on a given target.

Are the erasures permanent?  Are the granted abilities permanent?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 03, 2011, 04:32:01 pm »

I assume yes to the first, and the given abilities are oneshots.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 03, 2011, 04:38:45 pm »

Who got last night's inspect?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 03, 2011, 04:43:06 pm »

Wait... wait... I'm retarded.

Ignore that.

I clearly woke up too recently to be allowed to post.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 03, 2011, 05:46:48 pm »

So it would seem.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 03, 2011, 07:22:13 pm »

Why isn't "Because you are scum" a valid explanation for you?  I can't spell it out much more than this:
So you start off with the same self-evident bullshit as before, but then provide an actual answer anyway. Why is that?
Because I don't see the need to be long-winded when the answer should be obvious.  Clearly you wanted me to do so anyway, so I obliged.
So, you think everyone except me understood that "Because you're scum" implied "who has trouble committing and is worried about being unpopular by voting a jester?"

I'm not much for guessing the motivations of scum
This is a lie, obviously. Not only is it not true for any good townie, it's the explicit reason you voted me and the core of your argument. Why are you lying, Toaster?

Other than that, we've got "you've had trouble committing as scum before" and "you might have been worried others thought he was a jester." Why didn't you provide explanations like that from the start?
Let me be more specific, then:  There's not much to be had in guessing the motivations of scum (Example: Nightkill target selection).  Getting the motivations of people so you can decide if they are scum is very valuable.

This is going to become an argument of mincing words, isn't it?
Then, how was that quip relevant at all? I wasn't asking about my scumteam, I was asking about me. Furthermore, if you agree that my personal motivations were very valuable, why were you so utterly reluctant to go into the slightest detail about them?

When you wanted more detail, I gave you more detail.  If I should have posted those first, oh well- I didn't.
Eventually, yes. In the same way that when people wanted Ottofar to do stuff, he did stuff. Need I even mention the last part?

In any case, the fact that you cared about any sort of approval for your actions is a scummy move- town should be upfront with their intentions and disinterested in doing something because it's popular.
I never sought approval.
I disagree that you didn't.  What you said had every flavor of checking to see if it was safe to vote him.
Really. Let's take a look:

As for Ottofar... the roles seem suitably odd that I could believe he's a jester, but flagrant RIA is pretty normal for him regardless of alignment. I'm curious what everyone else thinks of him, since scumhunting him is... difficult, at best.
Since this is dripping with intent to check if voting him is safe, could you provide an example of what asking everyone's opinion in a neutral fashion would look like? Should be remarkably easy, given this quote's flagrant scumminess.

Okay, then.

I am Alan Moore, a comic book writer.

At night, I'm able to either erase a random ability from a player, or write another on them. I may choose to write an inspect, a block,  a protect, or a kill. Each of the actions can be written once, and only one action can be written on a given target.
Why was it you offered the inspect, and not any of the other options?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2011, 09:39:31 pm »

Extend. Everyone's missing and the day's ending soon/already ended.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 03, 2011, 11:51:55 pm »

Solifuge: Thanks! Wanted to be sure.

Irony: The whole 'asking everyone's opinion' thing struck me as scummy to begin with. I doubt you would've needed to determine what popular opinion on Otto is by asking: as the day naturally progressed, you would see people's cases on Otto evolve, and if people were ignoring Otto, you could've called him forward by actually attacking him.

Pandar: Who are your current suspicions? How do you feel about Native?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 04, 2011, 12:02:09 am »

Irony: The whole 'asking everyone's opinion' thing struck me as scummy to begin with. I doubt you would've needed to determine what popular opinion on Otto is by asking: as the day naturally progressed, you would see people's cases on Otto evolve, and if people were ignoring Otto, you could've called him forward by actually attacking him.
That... seems like the opposite of saying I was hoping for a bandwagon.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 04, 2011, 12:09:23 am »

What I'm trying to say is that you asking everyone's opinions without an attack was you hoping for a bandwagon. If you wanted to actually find out other people's opinions, you would've attacked Otto directly as well. As you didn't, it seems more like you were trying to call people's attention to him while staying out of it directly. I.E., hoping for a bandwagon.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 04, 2011, 03:54:52 am »

Because the inspect seemed the most useful.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 04, 2011, 05:28:25 am »

What I'm trying to say is that you asking everyone's opinions without an attack was you hoping for a bandwagon. If you wanted to actually find out other people's opinions, you would've attacked Otto directly as well. As you didn't, it seems more like you were trying to call people's attention to him while staying out of it directly. I.E., hoping for a bandwagon.
This doesn't make any sense.

For starters, attacking him myself doesn't really let me know anything about other peoples' opinions. Secondly, I fail to see how attacking him while asking everyone what I thought of them would make it seem less like I really wanted everyone to agree with me. It'd be less passive, but no less approval-seeking.

Because the inspect seemed the most useful.
I'm getting the... very faint sense that you might be town. Continue scumhunting or you're back on the slab.

Right now I'd rather lynch Toaster, however, for reasons still being discussed.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 04, 2011, 08:37:19 am »

Ottofar:
I could tie the vote between me and Irony.

Yes, you could.  What did stating this accomplish?  It looks like a veiled threat to me.

You missed this one.

Irony:
So, you think everyone except me understood that "Because you're scum" implied "who has trouble committing and is worried about being unpopular by voting a jester?"

Well, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who questioned me on it.

Let me be more specific, then:  There's not much to be had in guessing the motivations of scum (Example: Nightkill target selection).  Getting the motivations of people so you can decide if they are scum is very valuable.

This is going to become an argument of mincing words, isn't it?
Then, how was that quip relevant at all? I wasn't asking about my scumteam, I was asking about me. Furthermore, if you agree that my personal motivations were very valuable, why were you so utterly reluctant to go into the slightest detail about them?

I didn't realize how much you needed me to spell it out to you.

Since this is dripping with intent to check if voting him is safe, could you provide an example of what asking everyone's opinion in a neutral fashion would look like? Should be remarkably easy, given this quote's flagrant scumminess.

Checking for group opinion before expressing your own is scummy.  Not scummy would have been making a firm statement of your views and then asking everyone else.  You waffled all over his alignment instead of taking a stand.  Here's a non-scummy version:

Ottofar is [scum/not scum] because of [reason]. I'm curious what everyone else thinks of him, since scumhunting him is... difficult, at best.

See the difference?

Native:
Toaster: Because I'm not sure of it yet. I want to look back and try to figure out whether or not something else is going on with Otto.

So what'd you figure out?  You're active lurking like hell.

Vector:  You're actual lurking.  I saw your post in the FYINL thread, but surely you could find some time for us?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 04, 2011, 09:03:55 am »

Oh, excuse me. It was an answer to this quote.

What hope do you have for survival?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 04, 2011, 09:10:23 am »

Right at this moment, I am studying for a German exam and just finished correcting an essay.  As I said, I didn't know about the exam until yesterday morning.

I absolutely cannot post content this morning--it'd take the entirety of the hour I have left to study.  I will post as soon as I am able, but that is not now.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28