Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Having trouble keeping animals alive  (Read 2397 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Having trouble keeping animals alive
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:40:46 am »

My fortresses tend to do okay, but i cant seem to keep animals alive.  I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Having trouble keeping animals alive
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 08:42:03 am »

In the current version many animals need to graze, and will starve to death if they don't.  Grazing animals will need to be assigned to a pasture zone, either outside on grass, or inside in an area that has cave moss growing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 08:47:07 am »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 08:50:50 am »

Cheers and thanks

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 10:40:23 am »

Best practical grazing animals (not exotic) are IMO sheep, goats and pigs. They won't devastate your pastures and give milk (and wool if you want that)
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:43:47 am »

Rhinos and elephants are the best grazing animals. Seriously.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 10:53:45 am »

They can't even eat enough to stay alive.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 11:06:40 am »

Make sure the pasture is big enough.  You can make safe pastures by breaching the caverns for their spores and then digging huge underground pastures into the soil layers.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 11:14:01 am »

That might be tricky for Knifemurders. One cavern is just shy of completely FULL of cave spider webs, another is mostly water and the third below it is being drowned out with water from previously mentioned cavern. I didn't like the locals.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 11:22:11 am »

No. Once you have broken the caverns (which you obviously did) spores from it come to EVERY underground soil site. Dig away a large amount of space in a soil layer (far away from the caverns) and there will be moss growing there, on which animals can graze like on real grass. They even can graze on staring eyeballs in evil biomes (which are Exactly What It Says On The Tin)
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 11:30:11 am »

Ah, cheers.  Though I'll be a little saddened.  Animals constantly dropping dead was part of the charm of the well-named Knifemurders (STILL burying the dead from a tantrum spiral after a year or so)

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 11:43:19 am »

Ah, cheers.  Though I'll be a little saddened.  Animals constantly dropping dead was part of the charm of the well-named Knifemurders (STILL burying the dead from a tantrum spiral after a year or so)

Don't worry. The first Fun forgotten beast will bring a return to those happy times.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 01:27:42 pm »

Oh and to the bashers of the elephant/rhino based meat industry--just don't tame 'em and don't eat the babies (elephant children take a LONG time) to mature, adult are fair game and will feed you for centuries--just tame immediately before you slaughter.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 04:18:19 pm »

Wait you're australian and your fort name is KnifeMurders, oh god the irony (Ya call that a knife mate? I'll show you one).
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 09:13:50 pm »

Wait you're australian and your fort name is KnifeMurders, oh god the irony (Ya call that a knife mate? I'll show you one).

Oh man, i hadn't realized that one.  Laughing so, so hard now.  And I've had a few Forgotten Beasts.  My one good militia squad tends to take them apart with axes.  It's the Blind Cave Ogres that caused the most Fun.

I don't get any Rhinos or Elephants near Knifemurders.  It's set halfway up a mountain, (with the well and farms at the base of the mountain where there's some woodland.  My dwarves have to walk down the mountain every time they want a drink) so all we get are angry Badgers and the odd Giant Eagle.  And one time, Elves riding Giant Eagles (they got in, killed about 3 dwarves before the militia got them and that somehow set the other 100-odd into the afore-mentioned tantrum spiral)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:27:11 pm by ThatAussieGuy »
Pages: [1] 2