Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Every castle is abandoned  (Read 1491 times)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
Every castle is abandoned
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:04:25 am »

And that's the problem. Every castle I find on every single world I make is inhabited only by wildlife. So far I have only found one exception on one world, and it was pretty underpopulated as well. DF is unmodded, basic .25. Has anyone else encountered that, and has it been fixed anyhow?
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Every castle is abandoned
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:26:49 am »

I got that in a few fortresses, but in my current world they are properly, with at lest one guy up each tower.

Before, they were only manned by giraffe and gazelle.

I don't know what causes it, but someone else may be able to tell you.
Maybe starvation?

Dwarf Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • T' bread wi't edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:32:11 am »

In my experience making the worldgen as short as possible increases the chances of having fortresses contain actual people.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:08:01 am »

In my short worldgens (125 years) I've only come across 2 uninhabited fotresses (2 different worlds) out of about 15. In my long worldgens (1000 years or so?) I couldn't ever find one inhabited.

It would be nice if they were coded to be reinhabited after abandonment. I like longer histories.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:14:02 am »

Had the problem during shorter worldgens too, but guess I simply had the luck to run into all the wrong (or right, if you look at it differently) castles. I like longer histories too. The last world was not particularly long-storied (1050), but the civs were developed enough, some rivers had lines of fortresses on each bank nearing the sea. And every single one was inhabited by horses. Guess they wiped out the previous inhabitants.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 12:29:50 pm »

I only ever seem to find badgers near the fortresses.

I wonder what happened to the defenders...
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:44:59 pm »

Ever since the badgers have been implemented, the fort defenders are all suspiciously nonexistent. I think the badgers drive them out.

Found two inhabited castles in a 125 year old world. Finally. Thanks!

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 03:00:15 pm »

It does seem odd that longer timelines would mean it would be harder to find fortresses with civilization.

Just because a timeline is long doesn't mean everything has to be more and more desolate as time passes....sure fortresses can always fall but then they would be replaced by new fortresses/large settlements surely?

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 03:10:50 pm »

The problem with fortresses is that they're generated with little dependency on the civ's life, not built by the civ. I don't know how do they manage to die out, but it started with .25.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 02:27:50 am »

There's a site limit, so new ones really can't pop up.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 04:41:08 pm »

As an aside, are the animal populations supposed to linger around abandoned keeps, or do they just get "stuck" on them because of some kind of pathing thing? If it's intentional I think it's a cool touch, even if I did feel a little miffed the one time I opened the front door of the keep and a pack of lions was on the other side of it and one-round killed me. O_O

jag648

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 10:18:44 pm »

I think this happends because people move from fort to fort every so often and I think they get killed going to the other fort so after 1000 years of people coming and going from forts they get picked off till there are hardly any forts with people

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 12:32:12 am »

I blame this on camels. The stupid soldiers rush out to beat them up, then the camels 1 kick them. Then badgers  chase off the civilians.
 Another theory is the demons released from forts that hit the HFS spread, wreaking havoc. If you were really curious, you could look in legends about that site.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 09:59:01 pm »

the cities in the upcoming release should garrentee you find populated ones(as they are attached to the city), though personly i prefer them abandoned, it makes hunting that much easier early game, don't have to chase down your prey. got from peasnt to demi-god just by slaughtering the local wildlife in castles
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.